Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 15,018 times

Advertisements

I am hoping some one in the forum can help me sooth out a few dilemmas I am faced with in relocating to Louisville. I want to rent for a year in Middletown and then buy a house. The sole reason is because I prefer to be somewhat close to downtown (within 15min) and visit all the parks, etc that downtown has to offer. The problem I am faces with is that I don't want my son to go to ANY other school except Crosby middle and Eastern high (zoned for Middletown). I have heard there is a chance he may be bused at some point to another school! This is enough for me to refuse living in Jefferson county all together even though I love the area. Do they still bus the students as if 2014 school year? I would call the county but having trouble since it is summer and schools are not in session.

My second dilemma is that we would have to move to LA Grange which is very nice but pretty FAR and the Oldham country schools football team is not near the top competition wise in winning games like Eastern high (Jefferson). So my son desperately wants to be on a good football team. My question is does anyone have any advice on the commute in and out of LA Grange into Jefferson county when we want to go to parks/bowling/ dwtn restaurants etc? My last question would be. Should I skip my sons desire to play for Eastern High football because the risk for him being involuntarily bused out of Middletown to go to a different school may be a factor? Maybe I should just live in LA Grange and tell him to suck it up that their football team may lose half the games but it will be fine. I'm not sure what strategy to take at this point. Any creative suggestions, straight facts or personal advice is welcomed! Thank you so much !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyPeople View Post
I am hoping some one in the forum can help me sooth out a few dilemmas I am faced with in relocating to Louisville. I want to rent for a year in Middletown and then buy a house. The sole reason is because I prefer to be somewhat close to downtown (within 15min) and visit all the parks, etc that downtown has to offer. The problem I am faces with is that I don't want my son to go to ANY other school except Crosby middle and Eastern high (zoned for Middletown). I have heard there is a chance he may be bused at some point to another school! This is enough for me to refuse living in Jefferson county all together even though I love the area. Do they still bus the students as if 2014 school year? I would call the county but having trouble since it is summer and schools are not in session.

My second dilemma is that we would have to move to LA Grange which is very nice but pretty FAR and the Oldham country schools football team is not near the top competition wise in winning games like Eastern high (Jefferson). So my son desperately wants to be on a good football team. My question is does anyone have any advice on the commute in and out of LA Grange into Jefferson county when we want to go to parks/bowling/ dwtn restaurants etc? My last question would be. Should I skip my sons desire to play for Eastern High football because the risk for him being involuntarily bused out of Middletown to go to a different school may be a factor? Maybe I should just live in LA Grange and tell him to suck it up that their football team may lose half the games but it will be fine. I'm not sure what strategy to take at this point. Any creative suggestions, straight facts or personal advice is welcomed! Thank you so much !!!!
First, you will need to get an "official" commitment from JCPS, and certainly not an opinion or guestimate from any of us posting here.

That being said, if indeed you don't get a satisfactory commitment from JCPS, it is important to note that LaGrange is at I-71 Mile Post 22. Normal drive times for LaGrange, the greatest distance from the Kennedy Bridge, are less than 5 to 10 minutes farther than most of Middletown. I-64 to western Middletown is from I-64 MP 5 to I-64 MP 17 (12 miles and often a speeds well below posted). LaGrange, again the greatest DT (downtown) to OC (Oldham County) is from I-64 MP 5 to I-71mp 22 (23 miles and typically at 5-10mph over posted, except the 3 miles between Zorn Ave & DT).

There are exits to I-71 at mp 14, mp 17, mp 18, and mp 22.

Again, your case calls for a direct conversation with the staffs of Eastern HS and JCPS. If indeed you can without contingency enroll your child in Crosby with a non-contingent graduation to Eastern, go for it.

There is no one on this forum who can officially or unofficially work with your concerns on this forum.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,018 times
Drive times help. Of course I'd never take anything from this forum as an official answer. That would basically be putting my future and investments in the hands of complete strangers from the internet. Just thought there was a mom in my similar situation that found a way around this. Or some one from La Grange that could tell me that their commute isn't actually that bad which might make me feel better. I assumed just like most forums this was an "opinion" site and any facts are to be taken into further research.

Thanks for your information.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:12 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Drive times help. Of course I'd never take anything from this forum as an official answer. That would basically be putting my future and investments in the hands of complete strangers from the internet. Just thought there was a mom in my similar situation that found a way around this. Or some one from La Grange that could tell me that their commute isn't actually that bad which might make me feel better. I assumed just like most forums this was an "opinion" site and any facts are to be taken into further research.

Is there a reason you are focused on LaGrange and not Pewee Valley, Crestwood, Buckner, or Brownsboro which all have similar drive-times to downtown as Middletown does?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:

My opinion is to stay in Jefferson County because Oldham County, while nice, is still essentially rural/exurban. To give you an idea, there is not even a single Target in Oldham.

You need to strongly consider Prospect and Norton Commons neighborhood in Prospect, specifically. Prospect straddles Jefferson/Oldham County and provides many many more amenities and much stronger resale value for homes, and is also much closer to downtown, St Matthews, Highlands, and Crescent Hill, so you can get your urban "fix" in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area