U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Pendleton County, KY
241 posts, read 1,283,124 times
Reputation: 171

Advertisements

I was just poking around through some of the "Top 101 City" lists on City-Data and came across one that listed cities with highest concentration of European-born residents (Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Europe (population 500+)).

Number five on the list is West Buechel, KY with 24.7% European born. This appears to be a neighborhood in or near Louisville. Anybody know anything about it that would explain such a high ranking. Perhaps it's on or near the U of L campus and has a lot of foreign students? Any idea what nationality(ies) are represented there? Just found it a little puzzling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
 
7,031 posts, read 15,611,041 times
Reputation: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
I was just poking around through some of the "Top 101 City" lists on City-Data and came across one that listed cities with highest concentration of European-born residents (Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Europe (population 500+)).

Number five on the list is West Buechel, KY with 24.7% European born. This appears to be a neighborhood in or near Louisville. Anybody know anything about it that would explain such a high ranking. Perhaps it's on or near the U of L campus and has a lot of foreign students? Any idea what nationality(ies) are represented there? Just found it a little puzzling.
Its Bosnians and Russians, but mainly Bosnians. It has nothing to do with UofL. The area is over 15 minutes from UofL's campus. Louisville has one of the fastest growing immigrant populations in America:

Carnegie Reporter, Vol. 3, No. 3 | New Immigrants in New Places: America's Growing "Global Interior" (http://www.carnegie.org/reporter/11/newimmigrants/ - broken link)

"One of the most striking differences among today's immigrants and refugees is where they settle. Nashville is part of a new American frontier sometimes called the "global interior" that runs from Minnesota to Texas where immigrants and refugees have moved in unprecedented numbers since 1990. Of the nation's one hundred largest metropolitan areas, Nashville ranks first in the number of new immigrants arriving from 1991 to 1998 relative to the number of foreign-born counted there in 1990. Atlanta, Georgia is second and Louisville, Kentucky is third"

Part of this is due to sheer numbers. If you have one marble and I give you another, you have a large per capita increase. However, if you 10 marbles and I give you one, the increase is not as big. Such is the relation of the new global interior to the traditional coastal immigrant magnets like NYC and LA.


Finally, let me add that most of the stats on city-data for Louisville are painfully wrong, and many of those top 101 lists omit the city for whatever reason. I would not trust much stuff from there. I need to talk to other mods about having them correct stuff there. Most eggregiously, Louisville's population is listed way wrong on city-data.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Pendleton County, KY
241 posts, read 1,283,124 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Its Bosnians and Russians, but mainly Bosnians. It has nothing to do with UofL. The area is over 15 minutes from UofL's campus. Louisville has one of the fastest growing immigrant populations in America:

Carnegie Reporter, Vol. 3, No. 3 | New Immigrants in New Places: America's Growing "Global Interior" (http://www.carnegie.org/reporter/11/newimmigrants/ - broken link)

"One of the most striking differences among today's immigrants and refugees is where they settle. Nashville is part of a new American frontier sometimes called the "global interior" that runs from Minnesota to Texas where immigrants and refugees have moved in unprecedented numbers since 1990. Of the nation's one hundred largest metropolitan areas, Nashville ranks first in the number of new immigrants arriving from 1991 to 1998 relative to the number of foreign-born counted there in 1990. Atlanta, Georgia is second and Louisville, Kentucky is third"

Part of this is due to sheer numbers. If you have one marble and I give you another, you have a large per capita increase. However, if you 10 marbles and I give you one, the increase is not as big. Such is the relation of the new global interior to the traditional coastal immigrant magnets like NYC and LA.


Finally, let me add that most of the stats on city-data for Louisville are painfully wrong, and many of those top 101 lists omit the city for whatever reason. I would not trust much stuff from there. I need to talk to other mods about having them correct stuff there. Most eggregiously, Louisville's population is listed way wrong on city-data.
Thanks for clearing that up. My parents both immigrated to the US from Europe (father, Hungarian/mother, German--I'm first generation US born), which is why I find these sorts of statistics interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 AM
 
3,255 posts, read 4,862,246 times
Reputation: 547
add another to the list
my husband is from ireland and we are moving to louisville
any other irish immigrants in louisville?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 01:28 PM
 
7,031 posts, read 15,611,041 times
Reputation: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
add another to the list
my husband is from ireland and we are moving to louisville
any other irish immigrants in louisville?
I have met several. There are several authentic Irish pubs, including Irish Rover and Molly Malone's where many of the bartenders are Irish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 21,197,907 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
add another to the list
my husband is from ireland and we are moving to louisville
any other irish immigrants in louisville?
My husband is one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 02:37 PM
 
3,255 posts, read 4,862,246 times
Reputation: 547
Missy where is your husband from? Mine is a Dub and only here a few years even though his 50th birthday is just around the corner. I look forward to hanging out with some Irish people again, after a stint in Virginia Beach. Well actually I look forward to hanging out with all kinds of new people when we move to Louisville. Looking for an inexpensive apt for the short term. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 PM
 
3,255 posts, read 4,862,246 times
Reputation: 547
Styx I am sure if you hang around the pubs, you will meet our Dermot at some stage. How is the music? We love traditional sessions. Anyone up for a kitchen session when we arrive?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 21,197,907 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Missy where is your husband from? Mine is a Dub and only here a few years even though his 50th birthday is just around the corner. I look forward to hanging out with some Irish people again, after a stint in Virginia Beach. Well actually I look forward to hanging out with all kinds of new people when we move to Louisville. Looking for an inexpensive apt for the short term. Any suggestions?
He's a Dubliner too. and as far as suggestions, it depends on how cheap ya want
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2007, 04:35 PM
 
3,255 posts, read 4,862,246 times
Reputation: 547
Terenure

600 to 700 one/two bedroom.

How long is he over? and are you a kentuckian or are you an expat too?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top