U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 09:27 AM

9 posts, read 21,074 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Looks like me and the family will be relocating to Louisville from the Cleveland, Ohio area in the near future. We plan on coming down for a short visit next week (Thursday through Saturday) to check out the area and take in some of what Louisville is all about. This question has probably been asked a 100 times before, but given the short timeframe what are the 'must-see' sites in Louisville to help my Wife and kids get excited about moving down there?

Don't get me wrong, they are all for this move so far, but I would like to put a little icing on the cake. My kids are 2 and 5 years old, so they are pretty flexible anyway. We may spend a day hanging out in Oldham County as this is probably where we will settle long term. It looks and feels a lot like where we currently live in Medina County, Ohio if any of you are familiar with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dion
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 AM

688 posts, read 2,889,658 times
Hello from another Cleveland transplant! (currently living in Lexington). I agree that Oldham County has a pretty similar atmosphere to Medina County. La Grange will probably be the most similar to the town of Medina as far as a historic, small downtown feel in Oldham County- it is the farthest from Louisville but the most "quaint" and might make a good visit while you're there.

If you're a metroparks fan, try checking out some of the parks in Louisville. Cherokee Park is gorgeous and surrounded by some beautiful older homes...perhaps similar to some of the well-kept Shaker Heights neighborhoods. Nearby is the popular Highlands neighborhood that will offer some originial dining and shopping options, with a quirky feel. Similar vibe to maybe Tremont or Coventry, maybe a little Lakewood-ish, but actually larger and with more options concentrated in the area. It is a pretty distinctive Louisville neighborhood, and will give you a pretty good feel some of the unique offerings that Louisville has.

For a family focus, if the weather is nice you might try the zoo, or the riverfront park. I think that the riverfront park is more family-friendly than the lakefront in the downtown Cleveland area. It doesn't have the Rock Hall, Science Museum, etc, but there is more of a playspace and open park area. Your kids are probably a little too young to appreciate the Louisville Slugger or the Science Museum yet, but they could be worth a try.

For shopping, the Summit is very close to Oldham County and similar perhaps to Legacy Village or Crocker Park. Not quite as nice as either of those, but a good alternative and the same type of "lifestyle" shopping center.

Do you have any particular interests? Anything you want to compare with Cleveland ? If you want to get a feel for some KY flair, you could take an afternoon trip to Bardstown (bourbon and history) or into the horse country that starts around Shelby County (gorgeous farms and scenery). Again, if the weather cooperates, you could spend some time at Churchill Downs - it is in a more urban neighborhood and not quite what a lot of visitors first expect, but if you catch a race or two it can be exciting even for the little ones.

Last edited by nlschr0; 11-10-2007 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-10-2007, 10:57 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
For a family focus, if the weather is nice you might try the zoo, or the riverfront park. I think that the riverfront park is more family-friendly than the lakefront in the downtown Cleveland area. It doesn't have the Rock Hall, Science Museum, etc, but there is more of a playspace and open park area. Your kids are probably a little too young to appreciate the Louisville Slugger or the Science Museum yet, but they could be worth a try.
The science museum has an area just for little ones to play in for 45 min intervals. It's really cute!

Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 PM
nik

58 posts, read 235,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Hello from another Cleveland transplant! (currently living in Lexington). I agree that Oldham County has a pretty similar atmosphere to Medina County. La Grange will probably be the most similar to the town of Medina as far as a historic, small downtown feel in Oldham County- it is the farthest from Louisville but the most "quaint" and might make a good visit while you're there.

If you're a metroparks fan, try checking out some of the parks in Louisville. Cherokee Park is gorgeous and surrounded by some beautiful older homes...perhaps similar to some of the well-kept Shaker Heights neighborhoods. Nearby is the popular Highlands neighborhood that will offer some originial dining and shopping options, with a quirky feel. Similar vibe to maybe Tremont or Coventry, maybe a little Lakewood-ish, but actually larger and with more options concentrated in the area. It is a pretty distinctive Louisville neighborhood, and will give you a pretty good feel some of the unique offerings that Louisville has.

For shopping, the Summit is very close to Oldham County and similar perhaps to Legacy Village or Crocker Park. Not quite as nice as either of those, but a good alternative and the same type of "lifestyle" shopping center.

Do you have any particular interests? Anything you want to compare with Cleveland ? If you want to get a feel for some KY flair, you could take an afternoon trip to Bardstown (bourbon and history) or into the horse country that starts around Shelby County (gorgeous farms and scenery). Again, if the weather cooperates, you could spend some time at Churchill Downs - it is in a more urban neighborhood and not quite what a lot of visitors first expect, but if you catch a race or two it can be exciting even for the little ones.

Those are great analogies! I grew up around Cleveland, too, and we are moving to Louisville in the next month or so. We'll be living near Cherokee Park.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:38 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,220,937 times
I am not sure what the Cleveland to Louisville connection is, but Louisvile gains more residents from Cleveland than any other city. Surprisingly, Chicago is number three in trading residents with Louisville, right after Lexington.

Check page 14 of this report:

http://www.kentuckianaworks.org/PDFs/Human%20Linkages%20Sept%2005.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by Peter1948; 11-10-2007 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the comparison to Cleveland. All of those examples made sense from what I have been able to read. We will do some preliminary house hunting in Oldham County one of teh days, but I also want to spend time in Louisville since I will be working downtown. By the way, how is the rush hour traffic into and out of Oldham County? People complain about Cleveland rush hour, but it's laughable compared to Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, etc.

My kids would like the Science museum. Based on the weather forecast it looks like we should be able to hit a couple of parks and maybe the zoo. We have season passes to the Cleveland Zoo and would probably get them in Louisville as well.

I'm not sure what the connection is with Cleveland and Louisville. For me, I started to target Southern cities in what I'm calling the mid-South band: East of the Mississippi, North of Atlanta, South of Cincy, and West of the Eastern seaboard. I appreciate Cleveland for it's big city/ small city feel and prefer to move to a small/medium sized city like Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, etc. I'll admit that I am a suburb boy and enjoy the property I have now, but still have the ability to spend time in a metropolitan area. With larger cities, it's not that easy to do. As far as weather, I also wanted to still have seasons, just not like the extreme ones we get in Cleveland. And finally, I've worked my whole life in and around Cleveland and every year it gets a bit more depressing. It's tough working in a negative growth area of the country when you never know if the next company you work for will move its operations, get bought out, etc. (hence, my move to Louisville) And don't get me started on the regional government leadership around here.....my prediction is that the Cleveland area is a full generation away from any kind of sustainable recovery.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 AM

Just so you know.... I just checked and Cleveland is a reciprocal zoo for Louisville. Here's a link to the Louisville zoo website:

Welcome to the Louisville Zoo

Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 AM

I also found this for out-of-towners:

Louisville Zoo - Hotels (broken link)

Old 11-11-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I am not sure what the Cleveland to Louisville connection is, but Louisvile gains more residents from Cleveland than any other city. Surprisingly, Chicago is number three in trading residents with Louisville, right after Lexington.

Check page 14 of this report:

http://www.kentuckianaworks.org/PDFs/Human%20Linkages%20Sept%2005.pdf (broken link)
That was a facinating report. although inferred a couple of times, it would be interesting to know the 'whys' behind some of the in and out flows of population to the Louisville area.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Just so you know.... I just checked and Cleveland is a reciprocal zoo for Louisville. Here's a link to the Louisville zoo website:

Welcome to the Louisville Zoo
Thanks. We have yet to find another major Zoo that is not a recipricol zoo to Cleveland. It's great that they have setup this kind of network across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area