U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 8,134 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in Florida (I used to live in Louisville, so I'm familiar with the general layout) and I'm considering moving back to Louisville. Two questions come to mind during this process:

1.) How is Public Transit in and around Louisville? Is it a viable option to be car-less should one be located appropriately? I don't mind Taxi'g it to locations outside the general transit routes, but am more curious if it's viable to use the Public Transit system, solely (errands: ie. groceries, shopping, restaurants, pubs/clubs)

2.) How is work-economy in Louisville, currently? Is the job market booming or failing?

I appreciate any info you can provide. I have a house that just sold here in Florida...and with the cushion I'm being afforded, I believe now is the time for me to consider a move (that destination is yet undecided).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,151,398 times
I came from Floridistan and got a fairly decent job the first month I got here. Nothing even close in FL where I worked for nothing in McJobs I dont even care to think about or put on a resume.
Im looking again and gotten quite a few hits from recruiters from my online resumes. I would say it depends on your vocation for what is available to you.

I also am a bike commuter. I live in the Highlands and can do any of the stuff you mentioned without a car. I rent one for long, interstate trips.

Good luck

Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,621,063 times
On weekdays on certain routes the busses run on a 15 minute headway, which is pretty good for a midsized city like Louisville. They also give out extended transfers (the time limit is longer than usual), so if you are running an errand you can pretty much do it on one fare, depending on yr destination, etc.

I sometimes use the bus when i am in town to visit (staying in Valley Station), and my experience (for what Im into) transit works pretty good.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,279,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingsolo View Post
I'm currently in Florida (I used to live in Louisville, so I'm familiar with the general layout) and I'm considering moving back to Louisville. Two questions come to mind during this process:

1.) How is Public Transit in and around Louisville? Is it a viable option to be car-less should one be located appropriately? I don't mind Taxi'g it to locations outside the general transit routes, but am more curious if it's viable to use the Public Transit system, solely (errands: ie. groceries, shopping, restaurants, pubs/clubs)

2.) How is work-economy in Louisville, currently? Is the job market booming or failing?

I appreciate any info you can provide. I have a house that just sold here in Florida...and with the cushion I'm being afforded, I believe now is the time for me to consider a move (that destination is yet undecided).
In the Highlands, Clifton, Crescent Hill, downtown, Nulu/Butchertown, and Old Louisville, the bus service is actually very good. IMO the most reliable buses are the 17 and the 23 (I used to ride them a lot). Also the 4? I think along 4th st is very frequent and predictable, and al buses are equipped with great bike racks on the front for a bus/bike combo commute. There are a decent amount of bus commuters, especially in the Highlands. I believe the 4th st, frankfort ave, and bardstown rd buses run every 10-15 mins on peak hours then taper to every 30 mins after that. Some of the less travled routes only offer 1 bus per hour. For the most part, they stick pretty darn close to the schedule, so once you figure out the times, it is easy.

I would say you would be fine with your plans. I would say with almost certainly that you belong near Cherokee Rd in the Highlands, within walking distance of the Bardstown Rd bus. With that, you could walk to groceries at Valu-market, walk to Baxter Cinema, and eat and drink the night away until you are content at any ethinicity of food or nightlife you could want from Thai and Indian, to sushi, Spanish, Latin, gay, or straight, college bars, microbreweries, or lounges. You would also have a good deal of eclectic shopping around, and even a few chains like Urban Outfitters.

I am trying to escape the plastic, sprawl proned FL as well. Wish me luck....

Old 07-31-2013, 04:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,151,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I
I am trying to escape the plastic, sprawl proned FL as well. Wish me luck....
Not to go off-topic from the OP, But I did not know you were from FL, peter1448. I took you for a loovulian
My time in FL was traumatic. Really . . . Dont want to belabor the point, but if anyone is even slightly free-thinking and an introspective individual, I think they will be much happier in a KY metro area. I was in West Palm area. Fakery abounds from the lawns to the body parts --- materially obsessed people. Good for them, not so much for me, a filthy very passive hippy/artist

Good luck to you

Old 07-31-2013, 01:41 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful information! Louisville has always been home for me, which is why I'm somewhat familiar with the layout. I came to Florida in 2000 and have despised the move since. Much of what thunderkat59 mentions is commonplace (the people at McDonalds don't even smile, though the commercials promotes such behavior..lol).

Again, thanks for the information. I am considering a place near or in downtown, so, that pretty much answers my question about possible car-free living. Bardstown Rd/Cherokee Rd is also another fantastic option as well. You all have given me some great food for thought!

Now, about a job. I'll be keeping my peepers open for opportunities. I have a few months before I have to make my decision....I just want to be well prepared for it.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,279,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingsolo View Post
Thank you all for the wonderful information! Louisville has always been home for me, which is why I'm somewhat familiar with the layout. I came to Florida in 2000 and have despised the move since. Much of what thunderkat59 mentions is commonplace (the people at McDonalds don't even smile, though the commercials promotes such behavior..lol).

Again, thanks for the information. I am considering a place near or in downtown, so, that pretty much answers my question about possible car-free living. Bardstown Rd/Cherokee Rd is also another fantastic option as well. You all have given me some great food for thought!

Now, about a job. I'll be keeping my peepers open for opportunities. I have a few months before I have to make my decision....I just want to be well prepared for it.
Downtown has really boomed since 2000. You wont even recognize it with all the ground level activity, and nights the Yum hosts events, it is very active late into the night.

A very strong residents association is developing downtown:

https://www.facebook.com/louisvilled...ntsassociation

There are lots of great developments downtown, depending on whether you are looking to rent or own? What is your price range?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:58 AM

I'm looking more specifically for rental opportunities (I recently put up another post about that specifically) Price range should be between 550 and 700 for a studio/1 bedroom apartment. Credit criteria is another item of interest as I don't have great credit, though additional or increased security deposits don't scare me away either. I have great rental history, clean background, professional/personal references (if needed).

Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,688,706 times
I would say life without a car would be best spent in the highlands. I have two friends doing it there as we speak. downtown has grown by leaps and bounds, but is generally a little more expensive and doesn't have the choices that the highlands does. factor in lack of a grocery store as compared to having valu market in the highlands and I think that leans towards an easier car-less lifestyle in the highlands.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 5,684,757 times
A few years ago, I was staying for several weeks in Louisville helping my Mom recover from an illness, when I stopped in Valu Mart and noticed that their bags had printed on them about them delivering to your home. I wonder if they still do that, and if the service is very expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area