Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times

Advertisements

To the OP....the two properties you are looking at...I would not really advise living in either. Also, they are both in the downtown area. You were probably confused by Mr. Tomocox.

Lofts of Broadway are located on the edge of downtown, in a slowly gentrifying area known as Somketown (Shelby Park). They are building some nice new mixed income housing around there, but the managers of that building are not good, and in general, Smoketown still has a pretty high crime rate.

The Worthington, while also on the edge of downtown, is located south of Braodway (SoBro). In general, this is not a bad area, just not great, and is not nearly as walkable as the heart of downtown The SoBro area is full of light industry and surface parking lots on the way to Old Louisville. This is a remnant from Louisville's decline in the 1960s and its attempt to "urban renew" old buildings away (which was a huge huge mistake). Also the Worthington just reminds me of an old 60s building.

I would look at any of these for downtown:

CITY Properties Group - Rent

If they are too pricey, consider Barrington Place, Kentucky Towers, or Phoenix Place in the downtown area.

Crescent Centre and the St Francis are also downtown and are much better choices than the Worthington and can be cheaper than some of the City Properties units in the link.

Near UofL, Old Louisville is a beautiful area, but property crime varies block by block. All in all, it is not a dangerous area, just simply a city type area. Anyone who tells you otherwise either has never lived there or has preconceived stereotypes based on diversity. Old Louisville has 12 (count it 12) very active neighborhood associations. There is a mansion for sale across from beautiful Central Park for sale for over a million. This is definitely not the dangerous area that east end people want you to believe, but you do have to use street and city sense and be mindful of your surroundings (and also not get involved in drugs or prostitution, as many crime victims are connected to these things one way or another).

In general, hotpads and craigslist will be the go to sites to search neighborhoods close to UofL. You will not find as many complexes but rather old homes turned into duplexes or rentals. In Louisville, these are actually the best rentals, and the best locations of rehabbed homes rent realllllly fast.

I would use the map function on east. Old Louisville, Germantown, Nulu, Butchertown, Highlands, Crescent Hill, Beechmont, and Clifton are all great, urban, walkable areas. The Highlands will be the safest but also most expensive and the least diverse. Phoenix Hill is a term for east downtown, near the University of Louisville medical center. There really is not much housing in this area except for Liberty Green, Phoenix Place, a few old shotguns, and the new Edge at Liberty Green.

Hope this helps and welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
To the OP....the two properties you are looking at...I would not really advise living in either. Also, they are both in the downtown area. You were probably confused by Mr. Tomocox.

Lofts of Broadway are located on the edge of downtown, in a slowly gentrifying area known as Somketown (Shelby Park). They are building some nice new mixed income housing around there, but the managers of that building are not good, and in general, Smoketown still has a pretty high crime rate.

The Worthington, while also on the edge of downtown, is located south of Braodway (SoBro). In general, this is not a bad area, just not great, and is not nearly as walkable as the heart of downtown The SoBro area is full of light industry and surface parking lots on the way to Old Louisville. This is a remnant from Louisville's decline in the 1960s and its attempt to "urban renew" old buildings away (which was a huge huge mistake). Also the Worthington just reminds me of an old 60s building.

I would look at any of these for downtown:

CITY Properties Group - Rent

If they are too pricey, consider Barrington Place, Kentucky Towers, or Phoenix Place in the downtown area.

Crescent Centre and the St Francis are also downtown and are much better choices than the Worthington and can be cheaper than some of the City Properties units in the link.

Near UofL, Old Louisville is a beautiful area, but property crime varies block by block. All in all, it is not a dangerous area, just simply a city type area. Anyone who tells you otherwise either has never lived there or has preconceived stereotypes based on diversity. Old Louisville has 12 (count it 12) very active neighborhood associations. There is a mansion for sale across from beautiful Central Park for sale for over a million. This is definitely not the dangerous area that east end people want you to believe, but you do have to use street and city sense and be mindful of your surroundings (and also not get involved in drugs or prostitution, as many crime victims are connected to these things one way or another).

In general, hotpads and craigslist will be the go to sites to search neighborhoods close to UofL. You will not find as many complexes but rather old homes turned into duplexes or rentals. In Louisville, these are actually the best rentals, and the best locations of rehabbed homes rent realllllly fast.

I would use the map function on east. Old Louisville, Germantown, Nulu, Butchertown, Highlands, Crescent Hill, Beechmont, and Clifton are all great, urban, walkable areas. The Highlands will be the safest but also most expensive and the least diverse. Phoenix Hill is a term for east downtown, near the University of Louisville medical center. There really is not much housing in this area except for Liberty Green, Phoenix Place, a few old shotguns, and the new Edge at Liberty Green.

Hope this helps and welcome!

I make a living supporting Realtors who daily guide newcomers in locating the ideal properties to live in. I post my real name as my user name, and I stand behind what I wrote. The Phoenix Hill area offers many retrofitted mansions with nice living quarters. Whether it be in Phoenix Hill, the Highlands, or Cherokee Triangle, it does not matter to the exact location. It's the area that I write about.

It is my position that a person should never rent for more than they absolutely must pay. That may be $10,000 per month, but I tell people to save as much as they can stand. Rent is non-tax deductible, benefits only the landlord, and should only achieve one goal, temporary housing. Temporary may be five years, maybe even 10, but it never benefits a tenant to make rental housing permanent.

With rare exception, only high income earners become independently comfortable living in retirement without home ownership. So, I recommend based upon a poster's criteria, not what I want, or where I would necessarily live.

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-28-2013 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: flame

Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMDonovan View Post

I'm not a very picky guy, but I guess my ideal community would tend towards a more youthful demographic and have a lively suburban/city vibe of an area. I'm not a big bar guy, but I like to go out and have fun, meet people, and all of that fun 20-something stuff. I'd like a good mix of stores where I'm around to match my 'all-over-the-place' interests: (Comic books, board games, health food, fishing). Hopefully this helps describes what I'm looking for better?
The best fishing areas are along the Floyds Fork corridor in eastern Jefferson Co. From where I live in Lyndon it's an 8 mile drive to the nearest FF park (which has 5 fishing ponds and access to Floyds Fork Creek, which is really nice). Everything else you suggested leans more towards suburban / urban. In general the East End will have more of those things. The most popular areas for recent college grads / 20/30 somethings seems to be St Matthews into the Highlands area (Bardstown Rd inside I-264). STM area has a high concentration of retail, including high end, but traffic is worse too.

I am not specifically familiar with those apartment complexes as I've only lived in one apartment. Probably just check different sources for reviews. I'm happy with where I live although it's not that fancy. No pools or clubhouse, but the rent isn't as bad.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I make a living supporting Realtors who daily guide newcomers in locating the ideal properties to live in. I post my real name as my user name, and I stand behind what I wrote. The Phoenix Hill area offers many retrofitted mansions with nice living quarters. Whether it be in Phoenix Hill, the Highlands, or Cherokee Triangle, it does not matter to the exact location. It's the area that I write about.

It is my position that a person should never rent for more than they absolutely must pay. That may be $10,000 per month, but I tell people to save as much as they can stand. Rent is non-tax deductible, benefits only the landlord, and should only achieve one goal, temporary housing. Temporary may be five years, maybe even 10, but it never benefits a tenant to make rental housing permanent.

With rare exception, only high income earners become independently comfortable living in retirement without home ownership. So, I recommend based upon a poster's criteria, not what I want, or where I would necessarily live.
IF people have the money for a down payment, feel stable at their job, and don't mind getting "stuck" while the house is on the market then owning is best. Renting is good in certain situations for sure but you don't want to do it for many years if possible.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorof_Education View Post
Go to the East end my friend. The East end is where the educated people live. Hourstbourne Lane area. Anything close to U of L will NOT be good. That area is full of...things.
Your condescending comments constantly slurping the east end are not only insulting but tiresome. I know well educated people that live in many different areas of this city. I am one of them and I wouldn't choose to live in the east end due to my own personal preferences. According to you, this must make me an uneducated piece of trash? Singing the praises of an area that you find desirable is fine, but when made with such sweeping judgment regarding the entire population of the rest of Louisville you come across as arrogant, uninformed and frankly, scared.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:41 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Your condescending comments constantly slurping the east end are not only insulting but tiresome. I know well educated people that live in many different areas of this city. I am one of them and I wouldn't choose to live in the east end due to my own personal preferences. According to you, this must make me an uneducated piece of trash? Singing the praises of an area that you find desirable is fine, but when made with such sweeping judgment regarding the entire population of the rest of Louisville you come across as arrogant, uninformed and frankly, scared.
...but Doctor of_education (I'm just going from memory) seems to be a good fit for many of the people I've met from the East End.

I spoke my brother not too long ago about the dynamic of Louisville. He is, like me, a former resident. He agreed with me about the city's inferiority-superiority complex when comparing itself to other regional cities and Louisville's general impression with itself. I realize the southwest side (PRP/Shively/Kosmosdale) is much different, and typically populated with much more down to Earth people, then the people of the Highlands or East End, but after visiting Louisville several times during this trip to Kentucky I stand by my assessment.

When are you, kytoaz, gonna finally make it to Phoenix? I'm moving to Orange County, CA in a week.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorof_Education View Post
Go to the East end my friend. The East end is where the educated people live. Hourstbourne Lane area. Anything close to U of L will NOT be good. That area is full of...things.
What are these "things" of which you speak? I hope you are not referring to....gasp, colored people, or....no.....working-class or blue-collar people. Oh the horror. I'm a black guy and I lived on Louisville's East End for a year. It is not for everyone. I wish I had picked Old Louisville, Downtown, or Beechmont instead of St Matthews. Contrary to somewhat popular opinion, there are nice places to live in Louisville that are West of I-65 or even inside I-264.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
...but Doctor of_education (I'm just going from memory) seems to be a good fit for many of the people I've met from the East End.

I spoke my brother not too long ago about the dynamic of Louisville. He is, like me, a former resident. He agreed with me about the city's inferiority-superiority complex when comparing itself to other regional cities and Louisville's general impression with itself. I realize the southwest side (PRP/Shively/Kosmosdale) is much different, and typically populated with much more down to Earth people, then the people of the Highlands or East End, but after visiting Louisville several times during this trip to Kentucky I stand by my assessment.

When are you, kytoaz, gonna finally make it to Phoenix? I'm moving to Orange County, CA in a week.

Leaving October 1st!! Kind of sad but really excited. Orange co. is nice if not a bit over priced, but I'm sure it's not more expensive than the bay. good luck with your move.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What are these "things" of which you speak? I hope you are not referring to....gasp, colored people, or....no.....working-class or blue-collar people. Oh the horror. I'm a black guy and I lived on Louisville's East End for a year. It is not for everyone. I wish I had picked Old Louisville, Downtown, or Beechmont instead of St Matthews. Contrary to somewhat popular opinion, there are nice places to live in Louisville that are West of I-65 or even inside I-264.
A lot of people don't get out much. In general people who are natives of a city - in my experience - tend to isolate themselves to their "area" based on stereotypes or past realities. Growing up in SW Lexington I always thought the Northside was all dirty and run down with lots of shootings and if you drove on North Broadway you would fight off car jackers at every red light. My family there still breaks a sweat if they hav have to drive through Then when I moved to Louisville I did so with few preconceived notions. (Only one being that the West End is generally bad)

I live in the "mighty" NE suburbs because it's near work and closer to family in Lexington, NKY, and Russell Springs but I have lived in different areas and think all of Louisville has a lot to offer. There are lots of safe, clean, and aesthetically pleasing neighborhoods everywhere, including the West End. Northwestern Parkway into Shawnee Park is beautiful. Shively's residential streets are lined with very clean well kept ranch style houses. Valley Station has a higher median family income than Lyndon. I would make a bold claim that the West and South ends combined have a better park system than all of Nashville or Austin. You've got the Shawnee and Chickasaw Parks, Jefferson Memorial Forest, Waverly Hills Park, and 10 miles of a waterfront bike trail, with more parks planned in the future.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A lot of people don't get out much. In general people who are natives of a city - in my experience - tend to isolate themselves to their "area" based on stereotypes or past realities. Growing up in SW Lexington I always thought the Northside was all dirty and run down with lots of shootings and if you drove on North Broadway you would fight off car jackers at every red light. My family there still breaks a sweat if they hav have to drive through Then when I moved to Louisville I did so with few preconceived notions. (Only one being that the West End is generally bad)

I live in the "mighty" NE suburbs because it's near work and closer to family in Lexington, NKY, and Russell Springs but I have lived in different areas and think all of Louisville has a lot to offer. There are lots of safe, clean, and aesthetically pleasing neighborhoods everywhere, including the West End. Northwestern Parkway into Shawnee Park is beautiful. Shively's residential streets are lined with very clean well kept ranch style houses. Valley Station has a higher median family income than Lyndon. I would make a bold claim that the West and South ends combined have a better park system than all of Nashville or Austin. You've got the Shawnee and Chickasaw Parks, Jefferson Memorial Forest, Waverly Hills Park, and 10 miles of a waterfront bike trail, with more parks planned in the future.
All very insightful information.

The only really bad thing about SW county is lack of a big mall/lots of retail, and the very insightly pole sign sprawl development out dixie highway. But the same kind of unsightly retail can be founds on parts of Shelbyville Rd or Preston Hwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area