Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,263,537 times

Advertisements

Yes, I live and choose to live as close to the backwoods as my wife can stand. Whether I live in Downtown Detroit, or on the Mojave Desert, it makes no difference to this discussion. The point of this discussion is simply, the Jefferson County Public School system is a mostly failing system. My wife is a graduate of what was one of the top high schools in Kentucky, now that JCPS school is at the bottom of the rankings. I graduated from a small rural high school district (my hs was closed two years after I graduated) but it's legacy is a high school which may graduate 100-125 seniors this year as the county's only high school. That school is ranked in the top 20 of Kentucky high schools.

Fact is simple... a family moving to Louisville Kentucky will regret their child being forced to attend any but four or five JCPS schools, and odds are against them getting into one of those schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 11:12 AM

287 posts, read 766,184 times
Is the same thing going to happen in Oldham County schools where kids won't be able to go to their neighborhood school due to overcrowding of the best schools? Is it open enrollment there?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:41 PM

No, it is not open enrollment. The location of residence determines school assignment. The joy of Oldham County is that all OC schools are proficient. Three elementary schools did not meet improvement goals, but even those schools are above the 90 percentile rankings.

Example, several years ago, the Louisville Metro United Way (UW) set an incredible annual giving goal. I don't remember the exact numbers, but to illustrate my point, the UW raised its goal to $11,000,000 or one million dollars above last years all time record amount of $10,000,000. The UW raised $10,995,000 or nearly $995,000 more than ever before, but it didn't meet its goals and critics yelled, "UW fails to meet its goals."

Same for Oldham County Schools and the state rating systems. Didn't meet goals, but certainly beat previous records.

Carlymac, just my personal opinion, the worst Oldham County Elementary School is considered to be LaGrange Elementary. I would consider that school, Oldham County's worst, to be equal or nearly equal to the best JCPS at large elementary school.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 PM

287 posts, read 766,184 times
Why is Crestwood elementary rated so low? The comments on greatschools.org indicate low morale among teachers. But some of those comments are years old. So what's up with that one? Why can't it pull itself out of the below 5 ratings?

I've read on Oldham County website that they are going to redraw the boundary lines next year for elementary schools. That makes me a little nervous with all the schools rating pretty much 8- 10s except Crestwood.

We most likely wouldn't buy as far out as LaGrange anyway. Perhaps Buckner or Goshen but no further than that.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 AM

Carlymac, I am not an expert in the "whys," but I would recommend you contact the BOE directly. It might not be the entire answer, but they'll have a better explanation than any of us on this forum.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,533,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
In Fairfax county public schools, there are over 180,000 students and of the two.dozen high schools, all but three are ranked nationally in the top 500. The largest bus system exists in Fairfax county but they don't use their buses to ship their students across town. Diversity? Please. I couldn't even.pronounce half the names from.the last graduation. Defending Louisvilles bussing plan is crazy. There are schools in northern.Virginia with 80% Hispanic students and nobody.is calling for more bussing. Common arguments are grading system, course content, school lunches, but not how long the average student wastes.his life riding buses throughout his life. Couldn't believe the audience was clapping at the success of teaching to.50%.
I'll cosign and add that Prince Georges County just over the state line in MD has a busing system like Louisville. Ask how that is working for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area