Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 AM

6 posts, read 10,559 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm Christa and my family of 5 are moving to the Louisville area next month and I'm looking for a little help/direction so we don't head into this completely blind. Here is our situation/story.

-Where you are working: I don't have the exact address but it's in Louisville.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: We willing to spend as much as $220,000 on a house. My husband wants acreage (3 to 15+) and I want a beautiful home (and so far my search has proven it's one or the other ). Gated type communities (HOA's) are not what we are looking for (unless of course it came with acreage then we would consider).

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: We are allowed to go up to 50 miles outside of the Louisville and don't mind the idea of that at all.

-If you have kids: We have three children (7, 5 and 3). A great public school is our top priority. I don't think I'm willing to chance the Jefferson County schools, from what I've read/researched.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight: We would like a small town feeling but I'd also like the town to offer fun things for families. I lean more towards the latter. As long as it's a safe, family friendly town than I don't mind driving to the "fun."

-Pie or cake? Pie...with ice cream

A bit of info to consider. We are selling our house in Florida to move to the Louisville area and want to rent a bit to get a feel for the town(s). I have adjusted to the fact that whatever town we move to initially may or may not be the town we settle in and therefore my daughter will have to move schools twice. Although I am not in love with this idea AT ALL, it makes the most sense in the long run. Does this perfect town even exist -it offers great schools, some acreage and newer homes (0-15 years old)? Any help at all will be GREATLY appreciated. My husband has to report to his new job on November 16th. If our house hasn't sold, I am staying here until it does.

One side note: He is on a very limited budget (as we can't swing our mortgage and a huge rent + utilities payment. I'm a SAHM) and would be looking for an extremely cheap place to live on his own until we sell our house and join him. Any ideas? I've scoured craigslist but most roommate places want a lease of some sort and we don't know how long he'll be living solo. We are looking for some sort of room for rent possibly? We are really fishing in the dark here. Thanks so much in advance for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
You don't have the exact address, but do you at least know what part of Louisville?

Old 10-14-2013, 12:00 PM

His job will be on Bardstown Road.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM

20 posts, read 31,590 times
I am a former resident of Louisville (born and raised there) and when you say Bardstown Road you are talking about a road that runs trough the entire city of Louisville. It starts at the east end of Broadway in downtown Louisville and runs all the way to the end of Jefferson County and beyond. So for people to be able to help you better it would help if you gave the block number. Because of the length of Bardstown Road you will find many nice neighborhoods.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:42 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
If you don't want to live in the city then Oldham or Shelby County would be the best bet. Oldham Co would be a bit closer and the schools are regarded as the best in the state and metro area. You should have no trouble finding something in your price range in any nicer areas.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,307,229 times
50 miles is a tuff daily commute. I have a 25 minute ride to our office which is farthest from home, and I wish it were closer. It takes me about 5 minutes to get out of our subdivision, and then its a nice super-slab to our office, which is near Bardstown Rd. & I-264.

That being said, and although we have two offices in Louisville (Jefferson Co) and an office in Crestwood (Oldham County), when children's education matters, we recommend the following: 1) Sellersburg/Memphis/Charlestown 2) Crestwood/Buckner/Goshen 3) Louisville-Jefferson county area parochial/private 4) Simpsonville 5) Mt. Washington, 6) JCPS.

The properties you are looking for are in So. Indiana & Oldham Co.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Thank you so much for the help already. Y'all are fantastic. krmonzon, I had no idea that Bardstown Rd ran through the entire town, I'm sorry for that. To be more specific, the exact address 3719 Bardstown.

tomocox, you have a valid point...he certainly doesn't want to drive 50 miles to work everyday. He did say he'd be more willing to if the pros outweighed that [rather large] con, though. Number 2 has the schools I've come to love but seem to lack the land (but maybe it's just hiding from me), #3 isn't really an option as we can't really afford private schooling for 3 children. I'm off to do my research on #1, #4, #5 and #6 (which I am not really sure what it is yet, though lol).

I thought of another question...Where exactly are all the houses for rent hiding? I've searched long and hard (we are trying to avoid an apartment complex...unless there is a fabulous one you can recommend in #2) and I always seem to find 5 measly stragglers...usually one sad little thing well below our price range and 4 way beyond.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 AM

31 posts, read 40,815 times
Shelby County ... Shelbyville

Old 10-15-2013, 01:46 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHFam View Post
Thank you so much for the help already. Y'all are fantastic. krmonzon, I had no idea that Bardstown Rd ran through the entire town, I'm sorry for that. To be more specific, the exact address 3719 Bardstown.

tomocox, you have a valid point...he certainly doesn't want to drive 50 miles to work everyday. He did say he'd be more willing to if the pros outweighed that [rather large] con, though. Number 2 has the schools I've come to love but seem to lack the land (but maybe it's just hiding from me), #3 isn't really an option as we can't really afford private schooling for 3 children. I'm off to do my research on #1, #4, #5 and #6 (which I am not really sure what it is yet, though lol).

I thought of another question...Where exactly are all the houses for rent hiding? I've searched long and hard (we are trying to avoid an apartment complex...unless there is a fabulous one you can recommend in #2) and I always seem to find 5 measly stragglers...usually one sad little thing well below our price range and 4 way beyond.

Here are a few sites with listings including houses for rent in Louisville.

craigslist: louisville classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Louisville Hot pads

Trulia Homes for Rent

Houses for Rent in Louisville KY - 94 Homes - Zillow

Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If you don't want to live in the city then Oldham or Shelby County would be the best bet. Oldham Co would be a bit closer and the schools are regarded as the best in the state and metro area. You should have no trouble finding something in your price range in any nicer areas.
This.

If schools are high on your list, you should do this for sure.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area