U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,582,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Do you mean that Anchorage has no major arteries running thru it the way Vienna does (Rte. 123) or the City of Falls Church (Rte. 7)?
Correct. It sits back off of US 60 (Shelbyville Road) about half a mile or so. There are no major arteries running through it.

Honest, it's more of a subdivision than a town. That's not a knock - it's one of the better areas in Jefferson County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Incidentally, I had my share of speeding tickets in VA, mainly in the 90s.
You mean you got them in the 1990's, or that you were driving over 90?

Or both?

Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM

948 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Too funny that they can't detect your car. Mine is white as well, maybe my recent luck?

Anyhow, I've never lived in Vienna; so I just drive through either on 123 or going down route 7. So I don't quite think of Vienna as being self-contained. If I were cutting through more, I might say "gee, I don't even feel like I'm in Northern Virginia" - like going through Clifton, Fairfax Station, or Great Falls (where I tend to be more often).

Anchorage is just something different. To me it seems very small (in a good way) and is mainly just small roads without dividing lines going through the neighborhood streets. I know there are some arteries cutting through, but still, nothing like 123 or 7. More like Clifton Road or maybe (hmm, what is an analogy over there, like Lawyers Rd?). The closest analogies that come to my mind might be closer to Middleburg or The Plains. Very sedate.

Everyone I've brought there has started to make moving plans.

Two houses dropped into my price range about a week or two after I bought my house here in Lexington - we're talking pretty big drops. You can buy a much bigger house in the same zip code slightly west (like Owl Creek), but I would still pick Anchorage.

PS - I just re-read your initial post - I thought you lived in Vienna, which is why I keep saying nice things - not that I have a bad impression, I just hadn't wanted to insult your town ...
Well, bless your heart for wanting to be kind. I live in Reston, VA, but if Reston isn't a person's cup of tea, that's okay (Translation = I'm being very selfish. Ya think we got enough people over here already? If someone does not like this area, maybe New York would be the ticket. Yes, I'm being very selfish. Bad, virgo.).

I understand Vienna's appeal as it sits right next to Tyson's Corner (last I heard, Tyson's was the #1 employer of people in No. VA.; Reston was #2). It is hugely convenient. I'm just not a fan of the speed limit and the police force. I'm glad the residents of Vienna don't have to worry about horrific crimes, but it kinda doesn't give their police force anything to do; so they prove their worth or earn their paychecks with traffic enforcement. So when I read about Anchorage's speed limit, it made me do a double take. I just have to remember about that. Anchorage is very pretty from what I can see in the real estate photos.

Gosh, I've written a novel.

PS: Haven't been down to Springfield, Clifton, or Fairfax Station since they started doing work on the "Mixing Bowl" and moving exits all around.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 AM

948 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Correct. It sits back off of US 60 (Shelbyville Road) about half a mile or so. There are no major arteries running through it.

Honest, it's more of a subdivision than a town. That's not a knock - it's one of the better areas in Jefferson County.
I couldn't understand why the real estate listings would say "Subdivision: Anchorage." I thought, man, an entire city. That's a big honking HOA. But, it's not a city. Okay, thanks. No major arteries, okay, gotcha.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I couldn't understand why the real estate listings would say "Subdivision: Anchorage." I thought, man, an entire city. That's a big honking HOA. But, it's not a city. Okay, thanks. No major arteries, okay, gotcha.
I'm not sure, but it seems like a subdivision that incorporated as a sixth-class city in order to regulate things the way they wanted to. Lots of old money, large trees, big lots and gorgeous houses.

Much of their zoning, etc., made it very difficult on businesses, if I remember correctly. As a consequence, no real stores are there, other than mom-and-pop stores that seem to go in and out of business quickly. I remember someone saying the business tax is crushing.

Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing. All you have to do is go 2 miles outside of the city and there is a ton of shopping. Middletown is right there on one side and Westport Road on the other. So Anchorage is a very nice oasis.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,495,927 times
Quote:
Not really true. Anchorage is its own city with a population around 2,500 and growing very fast. It has its own independent public school with grades k-8 that has the highest test scores in Louisville metro. It also has a bit higher taxes and even its own police force.

As a city, it sits lodged near the cookie cutter suburb of Middletown and the major artery of Shelbyville Road to the South, which contains your typical suburban sprawl retail like anywhere else in the USA. To the North, you have La Grange Road which has a quieter feel but also large office parks and now a new hospital by the Baptist healthcare system, plus some light retail at the I-265/La Grange Road interchange.

Anchorage itself is a tree lined oasis between these two districts, with large lots, historic homes, and a developing "town center" near Anchorage public school that is being developed by pizza magnate Papa John Shnatter, who owns much of the property in Anchorage and also a 15 million faux Italian Villa estate.

Anchorage warms up to pizza magnate (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:9HCCAt0riegJ:www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/20070909/ZONE05/309090005+anchorage+warms+up+to+pizza+magnate&hl=e n&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us - broken link)

The area is very quaint, very upscale, and VERY exclusive. It is mostly populated with business executives and their families. Still, it is unpretentious and many of the homes are surrounded with white farm picket fencing and are very nonprententious.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,766,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
You mean you got them in the 1990's, or that you were driving over 90?

Or both?
Oh, tooo funny. The tickets were clustered in 96 and 97 - I felt like I was being picked on!

That said, I did live in Europe and would regularly drive "in the 90s" if not more. But I didn't get any tickets. [Well, except for a hidden "camera" on a hill in the middle of town, but that's another story, and didn't involve high speeds, it was just a speed trap.].

Old 11-26-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Well, bless your heart for wanting to be kind. I live in Reston, VA, but if Reston isn't a person's cup of tea, that's okay (Translation = I'm being very selfish. Ya think we got enough people over here already? If someone does not like this area, maybe New York would be the ticket. Yes, I'm being very selfish. Bad, virgo.).

I understand Vienna's appeal as it sits right next to Tyson's Corner (last I heard, Tyson's was the #1 employer of people in No. VA.; Reston was #2). It is hugely convenient. I'm just not a fan of the speed limit and the police force. I'm glad the residents of Vienna don't have to worry about horrific crimes, but it kinda doesn't give their police force anything to do; so they prove their worth or earn their paychecks with traffic enforcement. So when I read about Anchorage's speed limit, it made me do a double take. I just have to remember about that. Anchorage is very pretty from what I can see in the real estate photos.

Gosh, I've written a novel.

PS: Haven't been down to Springfield, Clifton, or Fairfax Station since they started doing work on the "Mixing Bowl" and moving exits all around.
I've actually lived in Reston too, just briefly while waiting for my place in McLean to be ready. I had relatives off of Route 7 (turn on Bishopsgate) but if I'm not mistaken, they switched them to Herndon, is that right? Zip 20194?

... and I should probably confess my ex works at USGS. He's *really* nice [insert rolling eyes here].

Old 11-26-2007, 06:23 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,676,853 times
Don't come buy an Anchorage home expecting to have your child in Anchorage School without getting an official confirmation that your new home actually is in the Anchorage School district. While the tax rate will vary, many people have bought inside the Anchorage City Limits thinking their children would be going to Anchorage School when in fact they would be going to Jefferson County Public Excuse. While a home not in the Anchorage School district would only pay JCPS tax rate, the City tax rate is the same.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Don't come buy an Anchorage home expecting to have your child in Anchorage School without getting an official confirmation that your new home actually is in the Anchorage School district. While the tax rate will vary, many people have bought inside the Anchorage City Limits thinking their children would be going to Anchorage School when in fact they would be going to Jefferson County Public Excuse. While a home not in the Anchorage School district would only pay JCPS tax rate, the City tax rate is the same.
Many homes advertise "Anchorage school district" ... others in Anchorage don't, even though they are very near to those which advertise that they are. I was suspicious, but didn't get that far in my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>