Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 AM

811 posts, read 888,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is pretty much nonsense. I grew up there though I left 50 years ago. The educated class called in Looievil. Fact of life. In fact the nuns in our Catholic grade school (I went to St. George and St. X) made a fetish out of correcting the other pronunciations.

As I said before the other pronunciations were fine as well. We would use them depending on who we were talking to.

For a couple of years I was in an Army Reserve Unit that was in fact a propaganda radio station directed toward US troops. All the leadership were local Radio and TV players. The discussion there also favored Looievil.
I have been living in Louisville for over a year now, and I have never heard anyone call it Loo-ey-ville. It has always been pronounced Luhavul or Luhaville, even by the folks at the Frazier History Museum. The only people that call it Looeyville are people who have not lived in the city or visited it enough to know the local pronunciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 09:17 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Dropping the tensing on the I doesn't make the pronunciation less educated. It just makes it English instead of French. One of the phonological features of the English language (and I do mean of England) is to not tense final place short I vowels. This means a word like "happy" is pronounced "happeh". The phenomenon is called "happy tensing" and varies across English dialects. However there are many educated English speakers who will not tense the final vowel.

This isn't a lack of education, it just is the way English works. And last time I checked, English is the language spoken in Kentucky and not French.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 7,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I have been living in Louisville for over a year now, and I have never heard anyone call it Loo-ey-ville. It has always been pronounced Luhavul or Luhaville, even by the folks at the Frazier History Museum. The only people that call it Looeyville are people who have not lived in the city or visited it enough to know the local pronunciation.
I'm a sixth generation louisvillian, all the way back to the old country in the 19th century, and I say "lou-E-Ville" not the supposed "native" pronunciation, and not the groteque way the majority of the local television and radio media (including most of Louisville Public Media) says it, which is positively nauseating to me. Don't expect to become a world class city while dictating that all transplants say the name of the city as if they were illiterate yokels. When even those and the folks at the Frazier museum say it the way that those such as yourself insist is the "correct" pronunciation, I feel like whatever hope I had for Louisville (not to mention the rest of Kentucky) has worn thin nearly to the point of wearing through.

Last edited by Waiting to Leave; 07-28-2021 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-28-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Dropping the tensing on the I doesn't make the pronunciation less educated. It just makes it English instead of French. One of the phonological features of the English language (and I do mean of England) is to not tense final place short I vowels. This means a word like "happy" is pronounced "happeh". The phenomenon is called "happy tensing" and varies across English dialects. However there are many educated English speakers who will not tense the final vowel.

This isn't a lack of education, it just is the way English works. And last time I checked, English is the language spoken in Kentucky and not French.
Half of the metro area is in Indiana, Louisville is not in the middle of Kentucky, and the english language as spoken in North America has had centuries to evolve seperately into multiple dialects." English is the Language Spoken in Kentucky, not French" reminds me of something Wallace Wilkinson said decades ago (I can't remember the exact quote, but it was basically a redneck and xenophobic view towards those who spoke languages other than English.)

Last edited by Waiting to Leave; 07-28-2021 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Necessary space added

Old 07-28-2021, 02:53 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting to Leave View Post
Half of the metro area is in Indiana, Louisville is not in the middle of Kentucky, and the english language as spoken in North America has had centuries to evolve seperately into multiple dialects." English is the Language Spoken in Kentucky, not French" reminds me of something Wallace Wilkinson said decades ago (I can't remember the exact quote, but it was basically a redneck and xenophobic view towards those who spoke languages other than English.)

Well, only about 30% MSA in Indiana but point taken....Louisville is as Midwest as Southern. Louisville is a great city....long time natives and expats are too harsh on it.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:14 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I grew up in Lexington and have always pronounced Louisville as "Lou-uh-vul" and always thought that's the correct local pronunciation.

But why do Louisville TV anchors and radio stations pronounce it as "Lou-ee-ville"? It sounds disturbingly weird, like an occupation regime mispronouncing local names. But then local ads come up, and they pronounce it as I do.
Because they’re stupid enough to hire people from out of state. The pronunciation is the pronunciation. They’re showing a lack of local knowledge by saying it phonetically.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Because they’re stupid enough to hire people from out of state. The pronunciation is the pronunciation. They’re showing a lack of local knowledge by saying it phonetically.
You know a city is provencial when it sits on the border edge of a state that it has a preference for migrants from (and traditionally, especially after mass immigration from Europe ended in the early 20th century, most migrants into Louisville and Jefferson county have come from out in Kentucky.) Whenever I hear a local media person say "Lou-E-ville" (the majority, sickeningly, do not) I consider it a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by Waiting to Leave; 07-29-2021 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: I left off "century"

Old 07-29-2021, 02:20 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times

the way he says it at 0:14 sounds right to me

Old 07-30-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

the way he says it at 0:14 sounds right to me
Agreed. Great band too, doesn't get enough attention.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 32,809 times
Bingham was right, the city is named after King Louis XVI, so the only correct pronunciation is ”Loo-ee-ville”. ”Loo-vul” is just silly, it sounds like you have a mouthful of cotton or peanuts and can't talk. We have out of state residents who visit and literally make fun of the news anchors, it's embarrassing. ”World Class City” my butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area