Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,555 times

Advertisements

Nothing near official yet, just trying to do a little research before making decisions. Currently we live in southeastern Kentucky, although I grew up and have lived the majority of my life in the Louisville area. The economy down this way is stagnant. I work as an RN, and the pay is stagnant, and layoffs are rumored. My wife does not have a college education, but has done 15 plus years of data entry and quality control.
I'm looking at several VA positions, and if I were to get hired, we would begin to make the move up north.

In regards to housing, we would be looking at the 140,000 to 160,000 market at this time. My preference is Oldham County, but I feel that we would be coming in too low for a decent home in Oldham. If not Oldham, we would look in Bullitt County, especially Mount Washington, western Shelby county and possibly southern Indiana. The western portion of Henry county would be considered as well. Jefferson county would be great, but, honestly, I would not want my kids in JCPS at this time. Too much hit and miss with that school system, and we certainly could not afford the Catholic schools. Any tips or suggestions regarding location? As I mentioned my first choice would be Oldham. I grew up there, love the school systems and that it is adjacent to Louisville.

My other concern would be for my wife finding work. Although she does not have a college degree, I'm thinking there are numerous date entry companies in and around jefferson county. Any insight into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:09 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Nothing near official yet, just trying to do a little research before making decisions. Currently we live in southeastern Kentucky, although I grew up and have lived the majority of my life in the Louisville area. The economy down this way is stagnant. I work as an RN, and the pay is stagnant, and layoffs are rumored. My wife does not have a college education, but has done 15 plus years of data entry and quality control.
I'm looking at several VA positions, and if I were to get hired, we would begin to make the move up north.

In regards to housing, we would be looking at the 140,000 to 160,000 market at this time. My preference is Oldham County, but I feel that we would be coming in too low for a decent home in Oldham. If not Oldham, we would look in Bullitt County, especially Mount Washington, western Shelby county and possibly southern Indiana. The western portion of Henry county would be considered as well. Jefferson county would be great, but, honestly, I would not want my kids in JCPS at this time. Too much hit and miss with that school system, and we certainly could not afford the Catholic schools. Any tips or suggestions regarding location? As I mentioned my first choice would be Oldham. I grew up there, love the school systems and that it is adjacent to Louisville.

My other concern would be for my wife finding work. Although she does not have a college degree, I'm thinking there are numerous date entry companies in and around jefferson county. Any insight into this?
You can buy a "decent" home in Oldham County for $140-160k. At 1:08 PM / February 18, 2014 there are 21 homes for sale in Oldham County. I would personally live in most of them.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:44 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You can buy a "decent" home in Oldham County for $140-160k. At 1:08 PM / February 18, 2014 there are 21 homes for sale in Oldham County. I would personally live in most of them.
Thanks Tom, what website do you recommend for home browsing?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:56 PM

86 posts, read 126,300 times
Quote:

Sounds like you have done your research and have you some knowledge already. Kudos to you. I like oldham county as well but if I'm not mistaking, they are a bit on the pricey side. Bullitt county and Southern Indiana will get you more bang for your buck. I'm not confident that Bullitt county schools are very good though. I do know quite a few people that work in Louisville but live in Bullitt County cause it's so much cheaper. Louisville would obviously be most convenient, but obviously comes with a price. There are good school options for your kids in the county, but both you and your kids would have to put forth a lot of effort, which I assume you would since you are concerned about the school system which shows you care about your children's education. There's a traditional program in JCPS that you have to apply to get into (good grades, good conduct, etc), but they are all very good schools with top test scores in the state. I'm not sure of your children's age, but there are three traditional middle schools (Barrett, JCTMS, and Johnson), if your children got accepted into the program and went to one of those middle schools (based on where you live) then as long as they do well, they can automatically go to Louisville Male Traditional High which is a college prep high school with a good rep (I went there). There is also Manual High School which you have to apply to get into, although it's still a public school, and they are #1 in the state and their students get college scholarships like it's nothing. Just a thought and something worth looking into. If you're children are already in the high school stages, then applying to Manual would be the best option because you would have to of gone to one of the three middle schools in order to go to LMHS. If they are elementary, there's a handful of elementary schools in the traditional program but they are a bit tougher to get into. I got into the traditional program in middle school. I don't know much about Oldham County schools, but keep in mind Oldham county can be a hike to parts of Louisville depending on where you work. Bullitt County is more convenient from that aspect.

As for jobs for your wife, just hop on indeed.com and search administrative assistant, data entry, etc in Louisville and you will probably find tons of things. Humana/UPS are big employers here and they are bound to have data related jobs.

Hope this helped at least a little

Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tom, what website do you recommend for home browsing?
If you will send me your email via private message, I will link you into the Louisville MLS portal. Anything that comes up in the Louisville area, per your personal search will be displayed for you.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostellic View Post
Sounds like you have done your research and have you some knowledge already. Kudos to you. I like oldham county as well but if I'm not mistaking, they are a bit on the pricey side. Bullitt county and Southern Indiana will get you more bang for your buck. I'm not confident that Bullitt county schools are very good though. I do know quite a few people that work in Louisville but live in Bullitt County cause it's so much cheaper. Louisville would obviously be most convenient, but obviously comes with a price. There are good school options for your kids in the county, but both you and your kids would have to put forth a lot of effort, which I assume you would since you are concerned about the school system which shows you care about your children's education. There's a traditional program in JCPS that you have to apply to get into (good grades, good conduct, etc), but they are all very good schools with top test scores in the state. I'm not sure of your children's age, but there are three traditional middle schools (Barrett, JCTMS, and Johnson), if your children got accepted into the program and went to one of those middle schools (based on where you live) then as long as they do well, they can automatically go to Louisville Male Traditional High which is a college prep high school with a good rep (I went there). There is also Manual High School which you have to apply to get into, although it's still a public school, and they are #1 in the state and their students get college scholarships like it's nothing. Just a thought and something worth looking into. If you're children are already in the high school stages, then applying to Manual would be the best option because you would have to of gone to one of the three middle schools in order to go to LMHS. If they are elementary, there's a handful of elementary schools in the traditional program but they are a bit tougher to get into. I got into the traditional program in middle school. I don't know much about Oldham County schools, but keep in mind Oldham county can be a hike to parts of Louisville depending on where you work. Bullitt County is more convenient from that aspect.

As for jobs for your wife, just hop on indeed.com and search administrative assistant, data entry, etc in Louisville and you will probably find tons of things. Humana/UPS are big employers here and they are bound to have data related jobs.

Hope this helped at least a little
A very good representation of the area! Thank you for being so fair and thorough.

I will note that I don't know of any family that has moved to Louisville with school aged children who have been accepted into the traditional system. It's very close to a closed charter school system and there is a significant demand for all those seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area