U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:48 AM

655 posts, read 875,519 times

Advertisements

I've read that Louisville is a little like Pittsburgh, so I'd appreciate it if some of you could tell me a little about the city, the cost of living, the architecture, the culture, the friendliness of the people, etc.

Here's my situation. I live in Pittsburgh, and I really like Pittsburgh and don't want to leave, but I'm house shopping, and finding the sort of house I like in my price range here is a near impossibility these days; things are getting very expensive, very fast up here (at least with respect to homes with original woodwork, mantels, doors, etc.). Real estate is appreciating very rapidly here, and when you're in the market as a potential buyer, especially when you're looking for a very particular type of house (i.e., Victorian-era working class row with period details), that rapid appreciation is your enemy. In terms of what I'm looking for, I'm afraid I'm getting priced out in Pittsburgh. All of my life, literally since I was a small child, I've wanted an old, well-preserved house, preferably one from the Victorian era. Now I'm not talking about some mansion; I'm content with a small row house, or a shotgun house, which I've noticed are very common in Louisville. But these days, even modest Victorian-era row houses that haven't been ruined with remodeling in Pittsburgh are now, sadly, out of my price range. So, I'm looking for a row house, or shotgun house, with Victorian period details, in a fairly safe dense city neighborhood, for under $65,000. I have such a low price range because I'll be paying with cash. Is this possible in Louisville? If so, where in Louisville is it possible--that is to say, in what neighborhoods? If I have to leave Pittsburgh due to being priced out, Louisville and Cincinnati are my next choices as relocation destinations because I believe they resemble Pittsburgh somewhat. I appreciate your responses.

Last edited by The King of Um; 01-22-2014 at 01:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 AM

366 posts, read 640,323 times
The Germantown area in Louisville has a lot of shotgun houses not sure you will find anything for 65K.It's close to downtown.Louisville is pretty spread out. It's a fairly safe city. The west end does have the most crime.The Highlands area has the Victorian type homes but, it is a pricey area with lots of little shops and restaurants.People are friendly here.It's also a big sports town .

Old 01-22-2014, 03:41 PM

11,283 posts, read 23,314,801 times
You can find shotgun houses for that price range in good areas if you look long enough. I'd second Germantown (along with Butchertown, Clifton) as the best safe areas to look that aren't too pricey.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM

Thank you both for the responses. So, you think I can find intact (i.e., not "remuddled"), Victorian-era, shotgun houses in Louisville for $65K for less. I'm glad to hear that. You see, it's very important to me that the home have its original details--mantels, moulding, doors, pocket doors (preferably), etc. Are there any other areas I should check into besides Germantown, Butchertown, and Clifton? What about Old Louisville and the surrounding neighborhoods? I'll be going to visit this Spring with a good friend of mine.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM

366 posts, read 640,323 times
Old Louisville is mostly 2 story Victorian houses.The parking is bad in that area too. Uof L is nearby.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,347,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Thank you both for the responses. So, you think I can find intact (i.e., not "remuddled"), Victorian-era, shotgun houses in Louisville for $65K for less. I'm glad to hear that. You see, it's very important to me that the home have its original details--mantels, moulding, doors, pocket doors (preferably), etc. Are there any other areas I should check into besides Germantown, Butchertown, and Clifton? What about Old Louisville and the surrounding neighborhoods? I'll be going to visit this Spring with a good friend of mine.
You can definitely find what you are looking for. Please PM me when you travel to Louisville and I can help you find what you need.

In addition to the areas mentioned, your best bet will be the edges of downtown, Butchertown (getting super pricey), and the northern edges of Germantown and Shelby Park. Louisville prices are also going up. Beechmont is also in your price range, as well as the fringes of Old Louisville. Old Louisville really sounds like your cup of tea, however the area is mostly larger Victorians...usually they are at least 1500 sq feet and cannot be found for under 100k unless you find a deal. There are however some nice condos in Old Louisville in the 60-85k range.

Germantown even has a festival to celebrate shotguns

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shotg...09030319127911

What has happened in Louisville is that The Highlands, St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, and now even Clifton and much of Downtown and what is known as Nulu have become extremely expensive. I am talking in some cases 175-200 per sq foot!

However, I would look in the above mentioned neighborhoods. My opinion is Shelby Park has the most upside at this point as it is rapidly gentrifying and it still has some great 1890 victorian shotguns for under 50 grand with original details...we are talking tiffany stained glass, marble mantles with old school fireplaces, 12 foot ceilings, and crown molding. If you can put up with a few blighted blocks and a few shady characters, it is great. Otherwise, if you want a bit more stable, look south and east of the railroad tracks in Germantown. Any MLS website or zillow can show you homes for sale street by street, and list price and past values.

There are 2 other interesting options for you. One is the Portland area, which is under a huge plan to add a big artist movement and gentrify.

Gill Holland: 'It's great to see Mayor Fischer looking west to Portland!'' | Insider Louisville

Also is New Albany, IN, which is basically an inner ring suburb of Louisville to the west.

Develop New Albany Indiana

Old 01-26-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You can definitely find what you are looking for. Please PM me when you travel to Louisville and I can help you find what you need.

In addition to the areas mentioned, your best bet will be the edges of downtown, Butchertown (getting super pricey), and the northern edges of Germantown and Shelby Park. Louisville prices are also going up. Beechmont is also in your price range, as well as the fringes of Old Louisville. Old Louisville really sounds like your cup of tea, however the area is mostly larger Victorians...usually they are at least 1500 sq feet and cannot be found for under 100k unless you find a deal. There are however some nice condos in Old Louisville in the 60-85k range.

Germantown even has a festival to celebrate shotguns

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shotg...09030319127911

What has happened in Louisville is that The Highlands, St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, and now even Clifton and much of Downtown and what is known as Nulu have become extremely expensive. I am talking in some cases 175-200 per sq foot!

However, I would look in the above mentioned neighborhoods. My opinion is Shelby Park has the most upside at this point as it is rapidly gentrifying and it still has some great 1890 victorian shotguns for under 50 grand with original details...we are talking tiffany stained glass, marble mantles with old school fireplaces, 12 foot ceilings, and crown molding. If you can put up with a few blighted blocks and a few shady characters, it is great. Otherwise, if you want a bit more stable, look south and east of the railroad tracks in Germantown. Any MLS website or zillow can show you homes for sale street by street, and list price and past values.

There are 2 other interesting options for you. One is the Portland area, which is under a huge plan to add a big artist movement and gentrify.

Gill Holland: 'It's great to see Mayor Fischer looking west to Portland!'' | Insider Louisville

Also is New Albany, IN, which is basically an inner ring suburb of Louisville to the west.

Develop New Albany Indiana
Thank you for the info. Tell me more about Shelby Park and Portland.

It's such a shame gentrification is happening in so many cities all across this country, and as you said, Louisville is no exception. It's happening in Pittsburgh, especially in the dense urban neighborhoods that I really like, and it breaks my heart. I welcome improvement, but I detest gentrification. So many people are getting priced out--not to mention, the neighborhoods are losing their true identity; they're no longer what they've been for over 100 years. The artists actually improve the neighborhood, but then come the hipsters (who really don't do any harm), followed by the trust fund hipster clones (annoy people and drive prices up), followed by the absolute worst: the yuppies. They ruin urban communities with their superficiality, materialism, and elitism--not to mention, they drive the prices of nearly everything sky high (especially rent and real estate).

Old 01-26-2014, 06:25 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,347,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Thank you for the info. Tell me more about Shelby Park and Portland.

It's such a shame gentrification is happening in so many cities all across this country, and as you said, Louisville is no exception. It's happening in Pittsburgh, especially in the dense urban neighborhoods that I really like, and it breaks my heart. I welcome improvement, but I detest gentrification. So many people are getting priced out--not to mention, the neighborhoods are losing their true identity; they're no longer what they've been for over 100 years. The artists actually improve the neighborhood, but then come the hipsters (who really don't do any harm), followed by the trust fund hipster clones (annoy people and drive prices up), followed by the absolute worst: the yuppies. They ruin urban communities with their superficiality, materialism, and elitism--not to mention, they drive the prices of nearly everything sky high (especially rent and real estate).
I think the "gentrification" in Shelby Park and and Portland is more like....hey, the area has been predominately poverty level or below, mostly African American. Now you are seeing a few college educated people moving in, buying houses for dirt cheap, fixing them up, and stabilizing the neighborhood. The truly "gentrified areas" are the lower Highlands, Clifton, Germantown, even Old Louisville, downtown, Beechmont, New Albany, St Matthews (which never really had the post WWII downturn).

Portland, the plans for the area...they are the most interesting to me. Especially if there are 100...maybe 1000 others like yourself. Folks who come in, maybe buy a place for 20k cash and sink 25k in it. Then they have a great house for under 50 grand and really improve an area.

Portland Neighborhood: The next big housing, retail district? | WHAS11.com Louisville

Insider Louisville Exclusive: First look inside Portland's new Compassion Building | Insider Louisville

Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,699,546 times
No offense peter, but I don't see Portland ever changing that much. It is one of the most violent neighborhoods I've ever frequented. Not shootings, just people getting beaten half to death in the streets. I have several great friends that grew up there and have since moved away due to the high crime and the generations of violent, poverty culture.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:24 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,647,127 times
Shelby Park is probably the better location....next to Germantown (which is already gentrifying) and Old Louisville....i think you'd see the Germantown gentrification market eventually crossing that beltline railroad & Beargrass Creek to Logan and Shelby Streets (around that old church where Sojurnor is at and Smoketown USA).

Another outpost is Galerie Hertz on Preston, sort of leapfrogging put into Shelby Park.

Look on the map & you'll see how Shelby Park could be a good place for this, IF Germantown gets maxxed out/inflated as a gentrification market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area