Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,021 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are looking to relocate to Kentucky. We live in upstate NY and want out as a lifestyle change. We want to have that "southern" way of living with the southern charm and hospitality of the south. We aren't looking to move because of weather. My fiance works in a brewery up here and we noticed that some of the distillery's were hiring which is a perfect continue on of his line of work. Up here his pay is around $20/hour which is high but cost of living is high. Does anyone know what distillery's and factories around those areas typically make an hour? We found a place that was hiring in a town called Bardstown and it seems to be a nice small clean town. We specifically want to live out of a town though, preferably out in the country on a small piece of land with just a mobile home. I found some properties in Rineyville and it seems to be only a 35 minute commute.

Any good small towns out there in the country area? We don't to be to in too far out of a small town but we like to be out there. We have 2 young boys and in our area up here in NY we have no yard whatsoever which is why we're looking for a small lot, not a house in town.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

~Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
That region of KY is pretty nice. I don't think there are any areas to avoid as far as crime or anything. Homes out in the country can be pretty affordable around KY, you might be able to find a house in your price range. If real estate sites don't help I'd recommend looking at local newspapers for listings (especially for rentals).

Not sure what distillery workers make. I do know most of them are located along the Bluegrass Pky corridor from Bardstown to Frankfort.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedevilgrrl88 View Post
Hi! We are looking to relocate to Kentucky. We live in upstate NY and want out as a lifestyle change. We want to have that "southern" way of living with the southern charm and hospitality of the south. We aren't looking to move because of weather. My fiance works in a brewery up here and we noticed that some of the distillery's were hiring which is a perfect continue on of his line of work. Up here his pay is around $20/hour which is high but cost of living is high. Does anyone know what distillery's and factories around those areas typically make an hour? We found a place that was hiring in a town called Bardstown and it seems to be a nice small clean town. We specifically want to live out of a town though, preferably out in the country on a small piece of land with just a mobile home. I found some properties in Rineyville and it seems to be only a 35 minute commute.

Any good small towns out there in the country area? We don't to be to in too far out of a small town but we like to be out there. We have 2 young boys and in our area up here in NY we have no yard whatsoever which is why we're looking for a small lot, not a house in town.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

~Nicole
Bardstown would be great for you! Close enough to Louisville for "big city" action if you need it.

I would also look at La Grange, Crestwood, and Prospect, which are "closer in" suburbs of Louisville. Oldham County is by far the best school district in the state. Nelson County (Bardstown) is also a decent district.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Bardstown would be great for you! Close enough to Louisville for "big city" action if you need it.

I would also look at La Grange, Crestwood, and Prospect, which are "closer in" suburbs of Louisville. Oldham County is by far the best school district in the state. Nelson County (Bardstown) is also a decent district.
Oldham county , prospect, etc are too far. The majority of bourbon related jobs near Louisville are in Bardstown. That's at least an hours drive. If Nelson county schools aren't to your looking, try Elizabethtown, which is nearby to the west. With his experience, he may be competitive for sales or distribution jobs with Brown Foreman, which is right in Louisville. Lots of bourbon industry jobs in Kentucky whether you want larger cities or the country.

Price wise, single family homes on two acres of land can be bought for under $100k near Bardstown.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:56 PM

86 posts, read 126,244 times
I personally really like Taylorsville. It's about 25min outside Louisville in Spencer County. Very small town with a good sized lake and plenty of nice homes at a cheap price. Other than Taylorsville I would say Oldham county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area