Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 88,960 times

Advertisements

Just got back from visiting some family in Kentucky and had a chance to go tour around for some potential places to live. We were really happy to get the chance to see how great a place Louisville is to settle down.

We looked around the Highlands area and the Cherokee Park area and it was AWESOME! A big THANK YOU goes out to stx12499 for all of the great suggestions and information (I will be contacting you soon for another tour in the spring, man! Thanks!)

We got a real good feel about the Bardstown Road area and I highly suggest any younger, professional couple should take a look at the high quality of living, the proximity to culture, nightlife and the city center...it just all works!

I think out minds are made up and we should be putting our house on the market here and looking to move down to Kentucky in the near future.

-Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM

965 posts, read 4,500,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeric View Post
Just got back from visiting some family in Kentucky and had a chance to go tour around for some potential places to live. We were really happy to get the chance to see how great a place Louisville is to settle down.

We looked around the Highlands area and the Cherokee Park area and it was AWESOME! A big THANK YOU goes out to stx12499 for all of the great suggestions and information (I will be contacting you soon for another tour in the spring, man! Thanks!)

We got a real good feel about the Bardstown Road area and I highly suggest any younger, professional couple should take a look at the high quality of living, the proximity to culture, nightlife and the city center...it just all works!

I think out minds are made up and we should be putting our house on the market here and looking to move down to Kentucky in the near future.

-Eric

Good for you! Not a resident; just someone doing research on the area.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:49 AM
nik

58 posts, read 244,869 times
We had the same thoughts. We ended up buying a home in the Cherokee Triangle (we move in December). We loved the area and thought that it would give us the urbanity that we missed from Chicago. We're excited to be so close to Bardstown Rd. and Cherokee Park!

Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,023 times
Man, I love reading these kinds of posts!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:00 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Man, I love reading these kinds of posts!
Me too...that is why I am here to help. Cherokee Park is EASILY missed by the the casual observer/traveler. Furthermore, Louisville's finest avenues are hidden from site and are hard to find--I think that is the way the city's urban elite likes it. Among my favorite "hidden streets" are Glenmary, Willow, Sulgrave, and Alta Vista. Also, there is lots of new infill in these areas, both new homes (and especially) condos. All of these options require a really good tour.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:39 PM

18 posts, read 88,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Me too...that is why I am here to help. Cherokee Park is EASILY missed by the the casual observer/traveler. Furthermore, Louisville's finest avenues are hidden from site and are hard to find--I think that is the way the city's urban elite likes it. Among my favorite "hidden streets" are Glenmary, Willow, Sulgrave, and Alta Vista. Also, there is lots of new infill in these areas, both new homes (and especially) condos. All of these options require a really good tour.
Very true. My wife and I tried to do our own various trailblazing tours of the River City, only to be a bit confused and somewhat underwhelmed. You find out very quickly that Louisville is a bit of a mystery to non-residents or people not in the know.

Get a good guide and enjoy what the city offers. We had a BLAST watching the UK-UT game (even though my alma mater lost) in the Red Star Tavern on Fourth Street Live! So much fun, guys. If you are looking for a great little place with some great drinks, then this is your place.

We did a little bit down the Bardstown Road area, but there is just too much to cram in on one visit.

We will be back soon to shop for houses!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 PM
nik

58 posts, read 244,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
We're just a street off of Willow!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik View Post
We're just a street off of Willow!
Beautiful area, Nik. Congrats on a very wise real estate choice and the opportunity to enjoy a walkable, eclectic urban neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 16,055 times
I visited Louisville this summer with my dad (he had a tournament)--good timing, as I'm thinking of moving there from Chicago. I thought downtown was nice, but no record stores or coffee houses. Then I looked up in the phone book and saw that everything was on this Bardstown Road.

Wow, that was way cool. Louisville was just a fun place to drive around. I look forward to settling there some day! (sooner or later)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: