Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,082 times

Advertisements

hello guys, my first post here ...

i got accepted to a post grad course at the university of louisville school of dentistry. i will be spending 3 years here from July. i am a foreign student from England. i have only been to louisville when i was doing my interviews so i didn't have a great feel of the vibe here, and it would be amazing if i can get some info from you guys here on where to stay and live . i am 28 and single and all my family are back in England

-Where you are working:-
i will be studying at the dental school downtown

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
mmm i am quite flexible , i would say up to 2000 dollars a month on renting , and if things goes ok and i like the place i might consider buying a flat or house maybe ..my budget for that would be up to 200,000 maybe ( 2/1 beds to 2/1 bath)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
am planning on getting a care hopefully , so i would say up to 20 to 30 minutes drive MAX

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Safe , Safe , Safe, Safe .. this is a priority then of course it would be ideal if i can find a place where there lots of to do locally like shops and restaurants and obviously people my age maybe

-Community amenities important to you

yes, I think so ideally

-Pie or cake?
haha i don't know whats that about but i will go with cake :P

thank you guys for reading in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tooth_ View Post
hello guys, my first post here ...

i got accepted to a post grad course at the university of louisville school of dentistry. i will be spending 3 years here from July. i am a foreign student from England. i have only been to louisville when i was doing my interviews so i didn't have a great feel of the vibe here, and it would be amazing if i can get some info from you guys here on where to stay and live . i am 28 and single and all my family are back in England

-Where you are working:-
i will be studying at the dental school downtown

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
mmm i am quite flexible , i would say up to 2000 dollars a month on renting , and if things goes ok and i like the place i might consider buying a flat or house maybe ..my budget for that would be up to 200,000 maybe ( 2/1 beds to 2/1 bath)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
am planning on getting a care hopefully , so i would say up to 20 to 30 minutes drive MAX

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Safe , Safe , Safe, Safe .. this is a priority then of course it would be ideal if i can find a place where there lots of to do locally like shops and restaurants and obviously people my age maybe

-Community amenities important to you

yes, I think so ideally

-Pie or cake?
haha i don't know whats that about but i will go with cake :P

thank you guys for reading in advance

Highlands. Near Cherokee Rd and Willow Ave . Look around that area on craigslist maps. You may consider the new apartment complexes going in near the dental school like 310 at Nulu.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
I would second the highlands. Safe, close and lots to do. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at rental rates in Louisville. You can find a great two bedroom in a great area for about half of your budget.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Welcome to Kentucky!!!! Louisville is a great and fun city, and I think you will probably enjoy it, a lot.
There are free festivities to be had at many of the cities great parks (and Louisville has some of the best parks!)
...you can find free plays, music, movies and festivities (depending on the season.) Plus, there are concerts, sport and museums. And it's a foodies heaven, with all the great original restaurants and cafes!
It's really hard to beat the Highlands so I would have to agree with the above on that point.

Moving to Louisville, KY? - YouTube

Old 03-04-2014, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,082 times
thanks guys for the feedback, i am really excited now... for the big move i hope i can have the best louisville experience ever

Last edited by Peter1948; 03-04-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tooth_ View Post
thanks guys for the feedback, i am really excited now... for the big move i hope i can have the best louisville experience ever
http://new2lou.com

All these neighborhoods are great. Keep in mind the coolest things Louisville has to offer are in "nooks and crannies" in older parts of the city. Get there and explore

Home | Louisville's Alt-Weekly | LEO Weekly
LouisvilleHotBytes.com
Backseat Sandbar
Epicurious Louisville
Eater National : The National Restaurant, Bar, Nightlife, and Food Blog
megabiteslouisville

Lots of great social networking groups on meet up.com for whatever your interests are

If you are religious, there are various great churches. The most progressive and best for young people right now is Sojourn, especially the Germantown campus.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 AM

10 posts, read 50,037 times
We've been looking all over the Highlands area too. While we've only been here for two weeks, we knew by the second visit that's where we wanted to live. Here's a listing which would be in your budget. The only odd thing about it is the bathroom. If you're a tall guy, you may not be a fan but compared to the rest of the place you might not mind it. Definitely worth seeing.

1228 Cherokee Road Unit 1 | IPG | Investment Property Group

some others:
Luxury Townhouse, Unit 6

Spacious 2-bedroom in amazing location in the Highlands! <-- saw this place, really nice but very close to a bar, a family there now with two young kids don't seem to mind as they are only moving to get a house.

I did a lot of searching through Craigslist which helped, but we also drove around and found things being rented out privately.
Good luck with your search, my husband and I have been looking at the highlands area that things go quick! Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area