U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,680 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

Looking for some advice for an almost 30 year old female relocating from Chicago.

-Where you are working: UofL Children's Hospital
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: somewhere in the $800-1200 is preferable, but my frame of reference is Chicago
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: Will be driving for the first time in several years, so the shorter the better
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? N/A
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Somewhere with amenities within in walking distance is always a plus
-Community amenities important to you: Coffee shops, bars, restaurants close by
-Pie or cake? Both

I have heard good things about the Highlands, but am feeling a bit lost on my Craigslist searches and am open to other areas. Also, if I hope to move sometime in June (for a July 1 work start date), when is the optimal time to really start looking/when should I expect to be able to sign a lease?

Thank you in advance for any assistance and any general tips about the relocation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 01:38 AM

8,389 posts, read 4,662,770 times
Well, I love Craigslist, but you might also want to try

Hotpads - Louisville

Placebee - Louisivlle

Every Apartment Mapped

If you are looking for a complex, that has all the amenities, bells and whistles you might want to check out:

Apartments.com - Louisville

Apartment Guide - Louisville

If you are looking for a house to rent, then you can also check out Trulia or Ziillow (Just type in Louisville, Ky) in the search bar at either website).
I can't speak highly enough of the Highlands, but there are other nice areas of Louisville. Generally, the East part of Louisville is a little nicer, in most cases. St. Matthews area is very nice also.

Welcome to Louisville!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 PM

6,832 posts, read 14,412,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevidneelloc View Post
Hi All:

Looking for some advice for an almost 30 year old female relocating from Chicago.

-Where you are working: UofL Children's Hospital
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: somewhere in the $800-1200 is preferable, but my frame of reference is Chicago
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: Will be driving for the first time in several years, so the shorter the better
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? N/A
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Somewhere with amenities within in walking distance is always a plus
-Community amenities important to you: Coffee shops, bars, restaurants close by
-Pie or cake? Both

I have heard good things about the Highlands, but am feeling a bit lost on my Craigslist searches and am open to other areas. Also, if I hope to move sometime in June (for a July 1 work start date), when is the optimal time to really start looking/when should I expect to be able to sign a lease?

Thank you in advance for any assistance and any general tips about the relocation!
Search my posts. You will find your answers. This site is good to peruse:

New2Lou

Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM

242 posts, read 339,423 times
Welcome to Louisville! The information others have listed is a great place to start. Depending on which part of the Highlands you end up in you could possibly even ride a bicycle to work. The Highlands are certainly a great part of town for most people, the only drawback is that rents and home prices are a little inflated because everybody wants to be there. Another area you could possibly look in is old Louisville, it's got a lot of the feel of the Highlands but rents are lower in many cases. The only drawback to get is that many students from the UofL live in the area which does promote a little more of a party atmosphere at sometimes.

You may also want to consider looking in the St. Matthews area. It's a little farther from where you will be working but not much and it's quite easy to get downtime from St. Matthews.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 AM

4,552 posts, read 4,303,991 times
The rent aint too much lower than the highlands. In fact it rivals it- because old louisville. I bet it has more holes to rent though, paying for nostalga, like orginal wiring.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,680 times
Thanks everyone for their help! Searching other threads has been helpful to find out about the neighborhoods and options.

However, I am still wondering what the timeline usually is for rentals. If I want to move mid-June, would I be able to sign a lease in mid-April? Or do people not start listing places until the month (30 days) before?

Thanks again

Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 AM

6,832 posts, read 14,412,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevidneelloc View Post
Thanks everyone for their help! Searching other threads has been helpful to find out about the neighborhoods and options.

However, I am still wondering what the timeline usually is for rentals. If I want to move mid-June, would I be able to sign a lease in mid-April? Or do people not start listing places until the month (30 days) before?

Thanks again
You can, but it is tough. In the Highlands especially, the best places literally lease the same day the for rent sign goes in the yard. Many are not even advertised! Seeing that a lot of newcomer young professionals find this frustrating, there are literally around 2000 luxury apartment units under construction or planned to open by 2017 in Louisville's downtown and nearby urban neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area