U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
nik nik started this thread

58 posts, read 235,049 times

Advertisements

We currently belong to a (summer) Swim and Racquet Club here in NC. We're moving to the Cherokee Triangle neighborhood and I wanted to get some information on pools in Louisville. I am aware of the Lakeside (?) Pool near Trevilian but I wasn't sure if you could actually get a membership (ie-how long the waiting list is) if you didn't live down in the neighborhood. Any other suggestions? During the summers here, we end up spending about 75% of our days at our swim club.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik View Post
We currently belong to a (summer) Swim and Racquet Club here in NC. We're moving to the Cherokee Triangle neighborhood and I wanted to get some information on pools in Louisville. I am aware of the Lakeside (?) Pool near Trevilian but I wasn't sure if you could actually get a membership (ie-how long the waiting list is) if you didn't live down in the neighborhood. Any other suggestions? During the summers here, we end up spending about 75% of our days at our swim club.

I would suggest that you call the club and ask them and if you can't join ask them about any others. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:48 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik View Post

There are lots of clubs but that is the "premiere" one in the Highlands. Its large and very nice. If you meet someone in the neighborhood, they can "sponsor" you and reccomend you for the club.

To give further recs, I need to know:

1) Are you just interested in swimming or do you want weights, raquetball, bball, or even golf?

2) How old are you and will you have children/spouse on a plan?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM
nik nik started this thread

58 posts, read 235,049 times
We're primarily looking for a pool. My husband and I both run and we own an elliptical machine at home, so we don't really need a workout facility. We have a 4 year old daughter (who taught herself to swim as a three year old). Really, just a place for her to have fun in the summers and for all of us to get some exercise and socialize.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,220,937 times
Well, as a new resident of Cherokee Triangle, Lakeside is where you want to be. If it takes knocking on doors to meet people and find a sponsor, I would do it (I honestly knew someone who did it when I first moved here). Lakeside is a large part of the social life in the Highlands for families, and let me tell you there are many young families in the area, especially around Lakeside. You could meet other parents around the kids pool section and socialize, etc. There are lots and lots of kids there too. It is outdoor but they put up an indoor "bubble" for winter. People are friendly around there, and it is a large part of the Highlands "vibe," at least for families and younger teens, but not so much young single adults.

I think your next best option that is close is across the bridge:

Clarksville Family Aquatic Center, 800 S. Clark Blvd., Clarksville, Ind., (812) 280-2095, Clarksville Family Aquatic Center (http://www.clarksvilleparks.com/aquatic - broken link)

I have also heard the Upper Highlands swim is ok.

The only nicer public pool is the Mary T Meagher center in Crescent Hill.

The YMCA downtown would be a great option and is cheap, but there is no outdoor pool. It is actually fairly family friendly, but of course the most families will be at the Northeast YMCA, but I beleieve a membership allows you to go to different locations.

Recreation

That Kentuckiana Guide is good on the CJ website. Also, LouisvilleKy.gov - www.louisvilleky.gov - Louisville Metro Government Official Website - Louisville, Kentucky (USA) will answer most of your questions if you look far enough. For city websites, it got rated number three for usefulness.

Finally, welcome to Louisville, and specifically, the urban Highlands area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: