Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 9,580 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are looking at a possible relocation to Louisville due to a job transfer and would love to get some thoughts on subdivisions or areas that might best meet our needs. Looking for a friendly neighborhood, with young kids (we have a 5 yr old and 9 mos old), would like a nice lot with trees. Here are the answers to the newcomer questions. Thanks for any feedback!

-Where you are working - Louisville off of Newburg Road & Produce Road...just south of 264
-How much you are willing to spend on housing - Max $600K, would also be open to lower priced house and putting $ in to remodel
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - Looking for shorter commute - about 20 minutes or so
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - Would prefer great public schools, but would also consider private
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Small town feel, with city excitement not too far. Love cafes, boutiques, coffee shops, etc.
-Community amenities important to you - Lots of kids, a plus would be community pool and trails, but not required
-Pie or cake? Pie....cherry pie!!

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama13 View Post
Hi! We are looking at a possible relocation to Louisville due to a job transfer and would love to get some thoughts on subdivisions or areas that might best meet our needs. Looking for a friendly neighborhood, with young kids (we have a 5 yr old and 9 mos old), would like a nice lot with trees. Here are the answers to the newcomer questions. Thanks for any feedback!

-Where you are working - Louisville off of Newburg Road & Produce Road...just south of 264
-How much you are willing to spend on housing - Max $600K, would also be open to lower priced house and putting $ in to remodel
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - Looking for shorter commute - about 20 minutes or so
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - Would prefer great public schools, but would also consider private
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Small town feel, with city excitement not too far. Love cafes, boutiques, coffee shops, etc.
-Community amenities important to you - Lots of kids, a plus would be community pool and trails, but not required
-Pie or cake? Pie....cherry pie!!

Thanks all!
Where are you moving from? How many kids and ages? What kinds of shops/restaurants do you frequent at home (send me the names and I can find similar area for you in Louisville )

Last edited by Peter1948; 03-10-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Hi! Most recently we are moving from Salt Lake City, Utah..we were there for 2 years, before that we lived downtown Chicago for 5 years, and we are originally from Ohio. We have 2 kids, a 5 yr old and 9 mos old. Looking for the staples near by Target, Whole Foods, etc and for restaurants we typically go for local ones rather than chain restaurants. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Highlands near Cherokee or Seneca Park or close to the very good for kids Lakeside swim club

Louisville is food heaven. You can eat at a different op quality locally owned restaurant 365 days a year! Once you get there, do not forget the locally owned retailers. They can be hard to find compared with the malls, but if you seek them out and get to know the proprietors, they are just much better and more enjoyable shopping experiences.

Crescent Hill or St Matthews, near Frankfort Avenue, would also suit you guys we
The public schools can be ok if you get your top school in the cluster or magnet, but most folks in that area use the parochial schools. St Agnes and St Raphael are going to be great national Blue Ribbon Schools for you.

Eater Louisville : The Louisville Restaurant, Bar, and Nightlife Blog
Epicurious Louisville
http://www.megabiteslouisville.com
Louisville Restaurants Forum • Index page

Even Louisville's "inner ring" suburbs are foodie havens now, like New Albany, Indiana.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/rob-fee/20...never-visited/
www.new2lou.com

Just a few of the recent awards for the city:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/Mayor/louisville_buzz.htm

Don't tell too many people about this hidden gem. I will be returning soon from the suburban sprawl of the sunbelt! The area where you are working is not so nice, but Newburg Rd north of I-264 is great. In general, that area of Newburg rd, going south past 264 into a neighborhood called "Newburg" is the only "ghetto" area in the metro
area outside parts of the West End of the city.

I would never live anywhere in Louisville outside 264, but I understand some people like newer homes.

http://nortoncommons.com is a nice compromise as it is a new neighborhood built like an old urban one with lots of walkable retail :
http://nortoncommons.com/commons-lifestyle/businesses/
If I wanted to live in a traditional "subdivision" ,the ones along US 42 going into Prospect are IMO among the nicest, from Indian Hills and Glenview to Goshen in Oldham County.

Last edited by Peter1948; 03-10-2014 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
I will give some solid advice about the schools. If you move to Louisville and you live in Jefferson County or Spencer County, certain parts of Bullitt Co & Shelby Co, private only. Oldham or Southern Indiana, you can be comfortable with public schools.

If you move to Louisville and "get lucky" your children may wind-up in Manual or if they can qualify for the advanced programs of Ballard, Eastern, or YPAS, you'll be fine. Just budget for private/parochial.

Now, as where to live, without school considerations. If you want a older home for $5-600K, you can do ok in the Highlands, but that is a community and not a specific subdivision. If you want a modern home, Woods of St Thomas (Ballard is home school), Mockingbird Gardens (again Ballard), or Briar Hill Estates (Oldham County-South).

Unlike Peter feels, there are a few good locations inside the Watterson (bounded by I-264 & Ohio River) most of the best locations are outside. Whole Foods, Costco, etc are easily accessible from more outside locations than inside. Example, you are minutes from Briar Hill to Costco, but 20-30 minutes from the Highlands.

My agents serve the entire Louisville area market from Scottsburg & Corydon in Indiana to Carrollton, Frankfort, Bardstown, Cave City, (including Elizabethtown) and Fort Knox area, so we have a pretty good handle on where to live anywhere in Louisville metro-stat-area. I say this not to encourage you to do business with us, but to explain that we have no reservations recommending locations within 50-75 miles of downtown Louisville.

Hope this help.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:39 PM

Hi! Thanks for your replies! One last question, if I were just looking at elementary schools, would that change any of the school recommendations? Also, can you explain "schools in your cluster". Thanks!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama13 View Post
Hi! Thanks for your replies! One last question, if I were just looking at elementary schools, would that change any of the school recommendations? Also, can you explain "schools in your cluster". Thanks!
My opinion... public schools: Oldham County and certain southern Indiana communities. Stay out of New Albany, Clarksville, and Jeffersonville urban, but you'll do fine in the suburbs such as Georgetown, Sellersburg, or Charlestown

Old 04-11-2014, 03:33 AM

30 posts, read 49,577 times
Yeah oldham co is better and its right next to louisville so if you work in the city its 20 min drive.Look around lagrange kentucky,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area