U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on race relations in Lville?
Im Caucasian and i think they're great! 4 23.53%
Im Caucasian and i think they're ok 5 29.41%
Im Caucasian and i think they are deplorable 4 23.53%
Im NOT Caucasian and i think they're great 1 5.88%
Im NOT Caucasian and i think they're ok 1 5.88%
Im NOT Caucasian and i think they're deplorable 1 5.88%
Lemme vote!!! 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:58 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,886,181 times

Advertisements

How would you describe the race relations in Lville?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,886,181 times
I keep hearing great things about race relations in Lville, and it just sounds too good to be true.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,672 times
I think race relations are like that of anywhere. I just happen to be white and married to a black woman, so race relations with us is good, lol. I think in louisville, it is more of a class issue. Most low income people live in the west and south end, the west end being predominately black and the south end about half and half with some hispanics mixed in. i don't think there is much tension racially, but i think the city is divided as a whole, however, if you are white and go into the west end, which is by in large considered the "hood" you will not be robbed or shot as most whites who live in the west end think. Its like any other neighborhood, just a little poorer than most. I think the younger people are pretty integrated , but the older folks are not.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:32 PM

18 posts, read 85,333 times
No offense intended, but polls like these really are neither helpful, nor give an accurate description on the Louisville area. I believe that bigstan nailed it and commented on class issues more than race relations.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 PM

6 posts, read 31,210 times
I have two or three really good black friends so I'm probably not one to ask but I didn't notice much of a difference moving from Minnesota, except that you see less mixed couples (although my memory is a bit hazy as it's been ten years since I've lived up north.)

Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,575 times
I am a black woman married to a white man. We've lived in Louisville for 7 years now and I would say that people are generally friendly. We live in the eastern part of Jefferson county.I will also say that while walking to our car at Stonybrook Theatre a car full of white males yelled out jungle fever to us as they passed.

But generally Louisville is a diverse city. The school district is diverse and tries to insure diversity. And I see many inter-racial couples in Louisville.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM

24 posts, read 86,707 times
Being a former Louisville native in the Oklahoma area, I found that about 25% of the african american population really really had a problem with white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area