Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times

Advertisements

I know we are to bloom where we are planted but I have been here 38 days, tried to reach out to people, and have learned a lot about east vs west side...really having difficulty finding anyone to talk with more than a hi and bye...I know really nothing about the area, and need some ideas of how to meet people, who perhaps are willing to talk to a St. Louis girl..bars, churches,etc all been tried...but need some help as I feel like such an outsider. Work brought me here...and by now in other places I have at least had one conversation with someone outside of family...I live in a very odd apartment complex, no one ever comes out of their houses...and the office is sort of not interested after we signed the contracts....just need thoughts...and thank you for any ideas...feeling sort of lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Sorry to hear this, this can happen in today's disconnected society. Do you enjoy or are you interested in taking up any sports? Maybe you could take some lessons, or join a team? Have you checked out gyms and health clubs? Maybe join a book club? Maybe visit a mystery party?

WhoDunnit Murder Mystery Theater

Take in a play at Actors Theater? Go to a concert? Enjoy some of the free activities in Louisville Parks?
If you haven't made any friends at work, perhaps you could do some volunteer work in your free time? (even if it is only a few hours a week.)...Animal Shelters, Homeless Shelters, Soup Kitchens are always needing extra help, and they have some wonderful people who work for them. Hospitals and Libraries also.

There is a group for newcomers in Louisville (Hey, it's just Across the River!)
Kentucky Newcomers Clubs, Moms and Dads Organizations, Womens Clubs Directory

Good Luck! Hope that you meet lots of nice, new friends.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly34 View Post
I know we are to bloom where we are planted but I have been here 38 days, tried to reach out to people, and have learned a lot about east vs west side...really having difficulty finding anyone to talk with more than a hi and bye...I know really nothing about the area, and need some ideas of how to meet people, who perhaps are willing to talk to a St. Louis girl..bars, churches,etc all been tried...but need some help as I feel like such an outsider. Work brought me here...and by now in other places I have at least had one conversation with someone outside of family...I live in a very odd apartment complex, no one ever comes out of their houses...and the office is sort of not interested after we signed the contracts....just need thoughts...and thank you for any ideas...feeling sort of lost
You are complaining and posting in the Louisville forum. If you are in Evansville, that's a smaller town 2 hours away. So, where do you live?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
There is a group for newcomers in Louisville (Hey, it's just Across the River!) Good Luck! Hope that you meet lots of nice, new friends.
Crazee, you're plumb crazy on that thought. Evansville is a good ways down the river from Louisville. Evansville to Louisville on I-64 is about a 2 hour drive.

Lilly, I lived about 50 miles from Evansville, in Kentucky, for a little over 30 years. Evansville is that "hub" everybody goes to for weekend shopping, going out partying, good restaurants. Most of my business in Evansville was on the east side, Green River Road area. I agree with Crazee about checking out clubs, Try volunteer work. Wish I knew what to tell you. But truthfully every time we used to go there, it was a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. But there are quite a few people who drive from the Henderson, Ky. area to work in Evansville instead of living in Evansville. Have you tried posting this in the Indiana thread? Sorry you're having this trouble. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Crazee, you're plumb crazy on that thought. Evansville is a good ways down the river from Louisville. Evansville to Louisville on I-64 is about a 2 hour drive.

Lilly, I lived about 50 miles from Evansville, in Kentucky, for a little over 30 years. Evansville is that "hub" everybody goes to for weekend shopping, going out partying, good restaurants. Most of my business in Evansville was on the east side, Green River Road area. I agree with Crazee about checking out clubs, Try volunteer work. Wish I knew what to tell you. But truthfully every time we used to go there, it was a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. But there are quite a few people who drive from the Henderson, Ky. area to work in Evansville instead of living in Evansville. Have you tried posting this in the Indiana thread? Sorry you're having this trouble. Good luck!
Ooops, I wasn't paying close enough attention there, since this was in the Louisville forum I thought she was talking about Jeffersonville, New Albany or Georgetown (Regardless of the fact, that now I see it says Evansville in the title, lol (yeah crazy blonde moment there!)...Yeah, that really is a ways off!!!!! I wonder why it was posted in the Louisville thread then????

Old 04-14-2014, 11:58 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I wondered about that too.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM

Well, I am giving the OP another day to respond. Otherwise, I am going to erase this thread as it has nothing to do with Louisville (other than the fact that the OP should do some traveling to a bigger city ). If the OP really is in Evansville, I do feel sorry for her, as it is not at all a good place to live, especially as a transplant. I lived there for 6 months....I was in Louisville or STL every weekend.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Well, I am giving the OP another day to respond. Otherwise, I am going to erase this thread as it has nothing to do with Louisville (other than the fact that the OP should do some traveling to a bigger city ). If the OP really is in Evansville, I do feel sorry for her, as it is not at all a good place to live, especially as a transplant. I lived there for 6 months....I was in Louisville or STL every weekend.
"Not at all a good place to live"

Is it worse than Owensboro?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
"Not at all a good place to live"

Is it worse than Owensboro?
About as bad but prob not quite as bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area