Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times

Advertisements

It's interesting as much as a bad rap Ky get's from time to time from outsiders, lot's of retirees are choosing "Ole Caintuck" as their retirement paradise..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 04:29 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Louisville could do better on taxes but most larger Northern cities have obscene property taxes in comparison. My ex's parents lived in a bad area of suburban Cincinnati. Their nice house was worth only 50k and they paid more in property taxes than my sister who has a 200k home in Kenton Co. My aunt in suburban Philadelphia paid off the mortgage but still has to 3500 a YEAR in property tax. So they still pay 400 something a month just in taxes. And their schools, roads, etc are no better than a ultra low tax place like Nicholasville KY. Where that money goes I'm not sure.

That said Louisville (and Lexington) have much higher taxes than their surrounding counties and towns. And Middle Americans are pretty money savey and will chose to add a couple miles to the commute to save money in taxes. Honestly if I buy a house in a year or two I would consider leaving JC more over taxes than the hit or miss public schools.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 AM

52 posts, read 236,643 times
Smile high taxes in Ky????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
It's not so much that (Louisville ) Kentucky has a high tax rate, but Texas has one of the lowest in the nation.

States with the highest and lowest taxes

Kentucky is not listed as one of the top ten states with high taxes, Kentucky is nowhere on the list, but Texas is on the list for having one of the lowest in the country. So most US cities will have a higher tax rate.

I have lived in Lexington, Louisville, and Baltimore as an adult, and it seems like Baltimore had higher taxes to me, but maybe that was only perceived so, on my part. I never really did a side by side comparison.

Total overall cost of living I believe is cheaper in Kentucky though. Here is a calculator where you can compare col costs from one city to another.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

When compared to Austin, a family in Louisville would pay one percent more for groceries, and three percent more on transportation...but pay 5 percent less on housing and utilites and 7 percent less on health care.
All I have to say is go live in Moberly Mo if you want to see HIGH taxes & VERY high cost of living!!!! I lived there for 4 years & finally make it back to good old KY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And also I love LOUISVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Moberly you must purchase blue garbage bags for your garbage & also pay a $15 fee for them to pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please top that one my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a small town about 13,000 people!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:20 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times
It's true, Kentucky as a whole is lower but it seems Like Louisville is it's own entity, generating it's own economy within the state. I mean, the housing market is still pretty robust in Louisville...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area