Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:57 PM

20 posts, read 40,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
OP, I can relate. I moved to Louisville/Ft. Knox in 2010 from surburban DC and moved back to DC in 2012. If you are planning on residing in E-town, Radcliff, or on base, hate to tell you but you will be bored. Louisville is not NYC however you get most of the perks of a large city (excluding decent mass transit) without a lot of large city trouble.

One thing that Louisville has going for it is the absence of major traffic trouble like other big cities so driving wont be that bad.
Oh well :/// I think I will spend most time having photo shoots in LA and FL so let's see if KY will have some things for me to do while I am there - I know that my mentality is set up different coming from huge city but I know I can't expect the same living in KY . Thank you for to response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I am of Polish/German ancestry and my family moved to Louisville (actually btw Louisville and Fort Knox) from Chicago, from a Polish/Italian neighborhood where people being bilingual was not uncommon (like my grandparents and even my Dad). My Ma is from Germany but emigrated to Chicago, so English was her second language.

When we moved to Louisville my Ma told my Dad that she felt like she finally really emigrated to America after we moved to Louisville since it was such a monocultural place (compared to Chicago).

This was in 1971 and things have changed somewhat.

What hasn't changed is having to rely on the car. My ma had to learn to drive since you had to have a second car in the family to survive in Louisville. No ifs ands or buts about it.

@@@

Now, Peter will come on here and tell you this and that...about how diverse Lou is....true....compared to 1971. Nowhere to go but up. There are a lot more immigrants in Louisville now and they have made the place more interesting in various ways. But its still not Chicago and a far cry from NYC.

Fort Knox, if you are on post, is pretty basic. You have Radcliffe, which is just a bunch of suburbia and commercial stuff strung out along Dixie Hwy, which is the main route into Louisville. Oddly enough one of the better bakers in Louisville for German/Austrian pastries is in Radcliffe. He learned the trade in Europe and makes some good tortes, etc. I think his place is called The Deutsche Ecke.

I think the BX carries German foods, too. For bread there is a baker in the Douglas Loop area called Breadworks that makes a good rye bread.

There's not enough Poles in Louisville for a Polish deli or butcher (you have to go to Chicago for that), or for German things (there is a German deli in Cincinnati at Findlay Market), tho there is one German restaurant I am aware of....so your food choices will be somewhat limited to what the locals like...which is not Central European cooking.
WOW thank you for the info ! I definitely will visit the places you mentioned .
More often I hear that people mostly coming from big cities like myself are very bored there or
Say there is not so much to do less I think I will survive I am workaholic and I work many jobs my acting career will have to be put on hold that's for sure modeling I will still travel for my photo shoots to LA ATL NYC but I know that there won't be too much going on there while I am there unless I go further to bigger cities I might end up visit fam in Chicago etc but that's only once I have my own drivers license
Thank u again for info

Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronsbrown View Post
When I moved to Louisville from Toronto I was 25 and didn't drive. I took driving school but it was crazy learning to drive in Toronto. I learned in Louisville and Fort Knox will be even easier. I think the reason I never learned to drive in Toronto was there was no need to. You will pick it up pretty quickly and I have found most drivers and traffic conditions are good in KY when compared to Toronto or NYC.
You will notice in Fort Knox and even Louisville life is lived at a slower pace then what your used to but it hasn't changed me. Louisville is a business hub so there are many fast pace highly driven people around but most people are more relaxed and friendly then what you might be used to. It took a while to get used to people being that nice.
Lol thank you for sharing this I am used to that NYC rudeness mentality but I keep it cool and I still remain friendly Nyc is different but it's my home - I been to south often but to be honest besides ATL and MIA that are my 2 fav cities I didn't felt too comfortable out there - I don't know the people are just have different mentality mindset - don't try to say here everyone think different but to meet people who are having similar lifestyle to like equal always crazy in rush always travel I know I won't meet there too many of them - as well people who understand my love to huge city and no knowledge of driving :/// I soon will need to get a license inneed for sure .I won't expect a lot from KY because I already know it's different than what I am used to but I know I won't be there all the time too bc I travel a lot so it might end up not being so bad

Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Joanna, there is one thing I can assure you. No matter how horrible Kentucky might be to you, it will never be so horrible as to cause you to separate from your husband. Living in a commuter relationship can be hard, but living in Kentucky can be a truely wonderful lifetime experience if you will allow yourself to enjoy the time. It might not be where you want to live the rest of your life, but it's a place with wonderful people and just because some of them talk a bit weird, it doesn't mean they don't have an Ivy League education. If you will allow these people to get to know you, I am certain you will love them, even if they don't have a hundred Broadway theaters.
I have many friends from south my husband and I met in KY back in 2010 I was there for 3 weeks or so in fort Campbell visiting a friend of mine I used to live in FL and GA TN so it's not like I have no idea what's south is about plus I travel for my work to GA and FL a lot southern hospitality is the key but living there for 3 years it's def not a place I see myself for 3 years but like I mentioned earlier I travel a lot so it's not like I will be in KY all the time - i am just getting bored easily even in NYC sometimes that's when I go to LA or opposite
But besides that I am open for new adventures in my life - and I like southern accent

Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
Louisville has the nearest Whole Foods.
Whole Foods Market Louisville, KY, 40207 - YP.com
THANK u

Old 05-12-2014, 12:33 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannaF View Post
I won't expect a lot from KY because I already know it's different than what I am used to but I know I won't be there all the time too bc I travel a lot so it might end up not being so bad
Being able to travel helps a lot. I moved here from the Twin Cities, and frankly I hate it here most of the time. On a good day, I can tolerate living in Kentucky - and on a really really good day I actually enjoy being here - but most of the time I hate it, and just count the months until I can get the hell out of here and get back to either California (which I love with a passion) or Hawaii (which I don't like as much as I like California, but beats the hell out of Kentucky.) The only thing that keeps me sane is that I'm only 3 hours from Nashville, which to me is the LA of the South, and a day away from states that have good outdoor recreational opportunities, which are almost impossible to find in Kentucky (I've been here a year and a half, and have yet to see an actual lake. I don't count reservoirs.)

If you can get away once or twice a month, that will go a long way toward getting you through it. I won't say Louisville doesn't have anything at all to do that's interesting, but most of what they have just makes me more homesick because it reminds me of how much I miss living in cities that really do have a lot going on in terms of arts, culture, entertainment, and recreation - like the Twin Cities, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Louisville bores the hell out of me by comparison; I've never felt more understimulated in my life, even when I was living on the back side of an island in the middle of the Pacific. I just travel when I can, and keep reminding myself that every day I'm here gets me one day closer to the day that I can get back to a part of the country that I actually enjoy living in. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Being able to travel helps a lot. I moved here from the Twin Cities, and frankly I hate it here most of the time. On a good day, I can tolerate living in Kentucky - and on a really really good day I actually enjoy being here - but most of the time I hate it, and just count the months until I can get the hell out of here and get back to either California (which I love with a passion) or Hawaii (which I don't like as much as I like California, but beats the hell out of Kentucky.) The only thing that keeps me sane is that I'm only 3 hours from Nashville, which to me is the LA of the South, and a day away from states that have good outdoor recreational opportunities, which are almost impossible to find in Kentucky (I've been here a year and a half, and have yet to see an actual lake. I don't count reservoirs.)

If you can get away once or twice a month, that will go a long way toward getting you through it. I won't say Louisville doesn't have anything at all to do that's interesting, but most of what they have just makes me more homesick because it reminds me of how much I miss living in cities that really do have a lot going on in terms of arts, culture, entertainment, and recreation - like the Twin Cities, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Louisville bores the hell out of me by comparison; I've never felt more understimulated in my life, even when I was living on the back side of an island in the middle of the Pacific. I just travel when I can, and keep reminding myself that every day I'm here gets me one day closer to the day that I can get back to a part of the country that I actually enjoy living in. Best of luck to you!
Hello I totally understand you !! Living in between NYC and LA for past almost 5 years it's like a dream come true even thought I am mostly in NYC I travel for work to LA I totally felt in love with CA and I know for sure this is a place where I want to move to spend there the rest of my life comparing to busy crazy New Yorkers that I am used to NYC it's a number 2 the most stressful city in US ( LA it's not even on the list ) in LA everyone are laid back chilling when I am there I live in Marina del Rey or Santa Monica so it's always beautiful right next to the beaches. I should be out of KY at least once a month in NYC , LA or MIA so I will be fine are you in the army as well like my husband ? How old are you ? Your mindset seems like you are young just curious . Thank you

Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Hello I totally understand you !! Living in between NYC and LA for past almost 5 years it's like a dream come true even thought I am mostly in NYC I travel for work to LA I totally felt in love with CA and I know for sure this is a place where I want to move to spend there the rest of my life comparing to busy crazy New Yorkers that I am used to NYC it's a number 2 the most stressful city in US ( LA it's not even on the list ) in LA everyone are laid back chilling when I am there I live in Marina del Rey or Santa Monica so it's always beautiful right next to the beaches. I should be out of KY at least once a month in NYC , LA or MIA so I will be fine are you in the army as well like my husband ? How old are you ? Your mindset seems like you are young just curious . Thank you
No, I'm not in the military. But I am pretty young - just 56.

There are a lot of things to do in Kentucky that you can only do in Kentucky, and once you leave here you'll never find anywhere else that does them quite as well. The Derby, for example. If you're here next spring, don't schedule any vacations the last few weeks before the Derby, because it's Louisville's answer to Mardi Gras, and you'll want to be here for the whole experience. That's one you'll remember the rest of your life. Might as well enjoy them all as much you can while you're here.

As for the rest of your time, yeah... vacations make the time go by faster. That's my favorite part of LA, too - I usually stay in Santa Monica when I'm out there, and spend a lot of time there and Venice. But I also range farther in quite a bit... I go to a lot of parties and clubs in Hollywood and on Sunset, and I can spend days at a time in Griffith Park. I like Pasadena a lot, too, but Santa Monica is where I always gravitate back toward. I usually stay at a small hotel on Main, 2 blocks from the beach. Just sitting on the beach, rollerblading up and down the Venice boardwalk, strolling on the 3rd Street Promenade or the Pier... day trips up to Ventura or Santa Barbara... yeah, a long weekend there can really recharge your batteries for a month or two.

If you know you're only going to be here a while, and you get away on a regular basis, the time goes by a lot faster. It gets pretty damned hot in the summer, though, so you want to be prepared for that. The way I describe it is 5 months of August, followed by one month of the leaves dying and falling off the trees, followed by 5 months of March, and finally one month of spring. You might want to plan your vacations accordingly. Good luck if you do come; the area around Fort Knox is one of the prettier places in the state.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 AM

5 posts, read 13,365 times
Quote:
Hi guys my husband and I are most likely moving to FT Knox soon ...we should be stationed there for about 3 years on army base .
I am originally from Europe( born in Poland raised in Berlin ,Germany ) but I have spent 5 years here in NYC a place I call home I am a big city girl no driver license because everything in NYC is a walking distance especially living close to manhattan ... I can't even describe how I am going to not die because of boredom ( I am a model actress ) living in a small town .I am totally not used to it I will appreciate your help if there is any way before I get my driver license to get to bigger cities in the area /
Supermarkets any nearby , Starbucks , Whole foods ? Planet fitness ? How do y'all ladies spend your day out there ? What is there to do ?
Thank u !
LOL princess there is a lot more to life than Starbucks, Whole foods and Planet fitness. Welcome to most of the REAL United States unlike New York. Disclaimer I have traveled many times to Poland and Germany and I don't see lots of Starbucks, Whole Foods and Planet Fitness chains there when I travel. More people from liberal scum New York should be forced to travel to the real US and see how most people live their lives.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesConrad View Post
LOL princess there is a lot more to life than Starbucks, Whole foods and Planet fitness. Welcome to most of the REAL United States unlike New York. Disclaimer I have traveled many times to Poland and Germany and I don't see lots of Starbucks, Whole Foods and Planet Fitness chains there when I travel. More people from liberal scum New York should be forced to travel to the real US and see how most people live their lives.

First of all I am not a princess !!! I have been to KY - where I met my husband but not Fort Knox area ... I been to TN , GA and FL where I used to live for few months (Savannah and Jacksonville ) so it's not like I never been there I visit south a lot where I work in MIA or ATL.
And just because I am used to have my favorite coffee gym and healthy food ( healthy food freak )downstairs where I live 5 mins walking distance don't make me be a princess. Mostly people who responsed to this message understood why I wrote this because they lived in bigger cities like myself and having something walking distance or moving to a place where everything can be reached by car ONLY while I don't drive yet it's a huge difference . You apprently didn't understood the purpose of this post I added .
By the way I was only born in Poland! And back in Berlin as well a big city where I was raised living in midtown I had my gym , bio Markt (healthy food grocery store) and one of the Starbucks chain stores 8 mins walking distance ...2 blocks away from my apartment. Whatever country/state I am moving to I like to have things I like to visit daily close to me since I don't drive .. AGAIN I don't drive don't make me be a princess that I want be surrounded by things I love .
My husband and I work out every day and eat healthy first thing he told me to find before we move was our gym and whole foods Or something similar to whole foods ...
Don't judge book by it's cover next time ... You think you know but you have no idea ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area