Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM

7,060 posts, read 16,635,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Where is that? Not familiar with Fairdale. Is it a burb of Louisville? Oh wait, I've seen a "backyard BBQ" but it's in Berea. I guess not the same right?

I should have changed this question to where is the best BBQ in Kentucky to cover it all! Pit Masters were held in Owensboro, so I figured there must be good BBQ there.
Fairdale is a south suburb of Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:08 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,975,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Where is that? Not familiar with Fairdale. Is it a burb of Louisville? Oh wait, I've seen a "backyard BBQ" but it's in Berea. I guess not the same right?

I should have changed this question to where is the best BBQ in Kentucky to cover it all! Pit Masters were held in Owensboro, so I figured there must be good BBQ there.
It could be called a suburb but Fairdale is in the south portion of the county. Exit 8 off Gene Snyder then head south. It's a local restaurant and not a chain. I'm sure they have a website but it's an easy location to find just past the High school. Great wings and brisket sandwiches. Ribs are so-so.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:39 AM

7,060 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It could be called a suburb but Fairdale is in the south portion of the county. Exit 8 off Gene Snyder then head south. It's a local restaurant and not a chain. I'm sure they have a website but it's an easy location to find just past the High school. Great wings and brisket sandwiches. Ribs are so-so.
Louisville is unique in that it does not consider fully independent suburban towns in its county, many over 10 miles from downtown, to be suburbs. I always found this odd. Fairdale is nothing like the city of Louisville. Anywho, bar b q in Louisville is ok...nothing like you would find in TX or Memphis. That said, Louisville is one of the culinary capitals of the southern US, I would say only behind New Orleans and tied with Charleston. (That's right, it has better food than Houston, Dallas, ATL, Charlotte, the list goes on. Part of the reason is the compact, easily accessible nature of the city. Those bigger towns have just as many or more top notch restaurants but that are not as accessible ).

Old 06-28-2014, 03:10 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,975,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Backyard bbq in Fairdale gets my vote. Quality and best tasting.
I had the wrong name....

Shack in the back BBQ

Shack in the Back BBQ

Old 07-11-2014, 06:01 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,440 times
I wil have to check this place out when I get to Louisville. For real traditional Kentucky BBQ, head to Danville or western Kentucky. Just about anywhere in western Ky youll get pulled Pork on toast, Burgoo, Mutton, chopped Mutton, Chicken and Beef. This place in Louisville looks like mix of Ky BBQ and St Louis style...
I cant believe this place doesnt have Burgoo or Mutton on the menu

Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,575,056 times
Danville? Where in Danville? I haven't found anything here yet that tops some of the places in Louisville. What'm I missing out on here? Quick, cuz we're moving up to Louisville in a couple of months!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 AM

Google Danville and BBQ....they have a BBQ fest down there thats well known outside of Ky.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,575,056 times
Oh, that. Yeah, we had some fantastic barbecue at the state BBQ festival last year. I thought you meant there was someplace here that served good barbecue year round. But yeah, the festival is a good chance to get your BBQ jones fixed for one weekend a year, anyway.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:39 AM

I have some friends from Louisville and I know they can get BBQ'd Mutton and Burgoo somewhere in Louisville but where I don't know...I'll have to ask, but I know you can, cause I've heard them talk about it.
If my wife and I buy an acre or so near Louisville or a house that has a large enough yard, I'll build a pit just like the one my grandaddy had in western Kentucky and make my own Hickory smoked BBQ, it's not hard to do....just takes patience more than anything. As long as I can find cut Hickory, we're good to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area