Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Portland has its problems but it is maybe the best neighborhood architecturally in the city. Just the Marine Hospital and Canal Manager's house are two of the best old buildings anywhere. I used to get off the River Walk bike trail and ride through the neighborhood when I was younger and was really surprised by how nice some areas looked. Now that I'm older I wouldn't consider living there myself but I'm glad enough urban lovers are moving in to start improving the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstone View Post
Hey Peter,

Another update.

Big Momma's. Yes. And McQuixote is a wonderful addition to Portland. They do great coffee and sandwiches, their book collection is very well curated and nice ambiance. I've tried a slew of places you mentioned including Vietnam kitchen. I also want to add Nam Nam Cafe to the list. Also Safier for middle eastern in the downtown area. mmh mmh.

Most of my neighbors in Portland have been more than just welcoming. They are happy I am here, even if our politics or religious views don't align, and have been nothing but actively supportive since I've moved in.
Blisstone...welcome! Glad you are enjoying being an urban "pioneer." Portland is actually a great area. It just needs a little love. I may actually be doing some investing down there. PM me and we can chat. Southwestern Parkway is honestly still in great shape, looking very similar to Eastern Parkway and very well kept!

There is now a coffee window:

'Hot Coffee' opening up in Portland Neighborhood

Karter Louis: Opening a Hillbilly Tea in Portland will be a catalyst for change - Insider Louisville

And I think 2 or 3 more restaurants are opeing there.

You mentioned Nam Nam....the best Vietnamese is in South Louisville. Places lie Annie Cafe and Pho Binh Minh in what I call "little Vietnam."

Old 02-28-2015, 12:04 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
McQuixote is my new go-to place in Louisville. I Make a point of doing a pit-stop there whenever Im in town.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
McQuixote is my new go-to place in Louisville. I Make a point of doing a pit-stop there whenever Im in town.
Dayton...what do you think of the new attached art gallery?

I am personally more excited at the growth in Old Louisville,Oak st, and near UofL (where there is a huge housing boom and TONS of new construction) than I am about Portland. But I think Portland will get there....the catalyst will have to be Waterfront park west and the river road expansion....when that happens, the 15th st warehouses will be fixed up and it will be a real force.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Portland isn't hopeless and there are a couple big projects that could happen in just a couple years that would really improve some parts of it. Opening the side lanes of the Portland to New Albany RR bridge to pedestrians and expanding Waterfront Park westward are being seriously talked about and could happen soon. The Warehouse district is adjacent to Museum Row and has great redevelopment potential. New Albany becoming a hipster haven will also help as Portland becomes a bridge between two urban hotspots rather than the edge of civilization.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:00 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Opening the side lanes of the Portland to New Albany RR bridge to pedestrians.....
I really wish this would happen. It would make it much easier to bike from NA into Louisville since now there is no way across Silver Creek without riding on a major road. I think the railroad company is extremely against it though, so it's not looking like it will happen soon. Hopefully that changes though.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,858 times
Try Dizzy Whizz Burgers downtown! Best hole in the wall in the city! haha

Old 03-08-2015, 05:41 PM

140 posts, read 167,922 times
I visited Louisville today and had a great time. Fell in love with the city hall building and the cathedral Church also the sculptures over there and by the river... So historical and sophisticated... Downtown is very clean and cute. 4th street has nice bars or was it 3rd street? people are so sweet and everybody smiles and asks how you are doing.... I am so impressed . Belle of Louisville wasn't operating so couldn't ride it but river and the bridges are so cool. Took lots of pictures and upload it to my Facebook and all my friends are jealous. I am so happy to see this city and I cannot wait to visit again

Old 03-09-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada_yel View Post
I visited Louisville today and had a great time. Fell in love with the city hall building and the cathedral Church also the sculptures over there and by the river... So historical and sophisticated... Downtown is very clean and cute. 4th street has nice bars or was it 3rd street? people are so sweet and everybody smiles and asks how you are doing.... I am so impressed . Belle of Louisville wasn't operating so couldn't ride it but river and the bridges are so cool. Took lots of pictures and upload it to my Facebook and all my friends are jealous. I am so happy to see this city and I cannot wait to visit again
Glad you enjoyed it. I really love downtown and it is improving but....like Chicago, the beauty of Louisville is in her neighborhoods. Try to get to Old Louisville, Nulu, Butchertown, Clifton, Crescent Hill, and Highlands at the very least on your next visit. Shoot me a message and I will show you around.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:14 AM

140 posts, read 167,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. I really love downtown and it is improving but....like Chicago, the beauty of Louisville is in her neighborhoods. Try to get to Old Louisville, Nulu, Butchertown, Clifton, Crescent Hill, and Highlands at the very least on your next visit. Shoot me a message and I will show you around.
Thank you so much... That would be awesome! It is only 2 hour drive so I will try to visit soon and definitely let you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area