U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2014, 09:22 AM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,244 posts, read 6,856,170 times
Reputation: 3012

Advertisements

Quote:

I would not even consider living north of Iroquois HS...
I would!

I was just in that area yesterday afternoon!

The area along Southern Parkway...Beechmont...is really nice! I took a long walk yesterday afternoon down from the Beechmont library north to the Watterson and then back south of Woodlawn a bit, mostly along 6th Street, and that is a very nice area. A variety of older houses, large lots, beautiful tree-lined street, and even two pedestrian courts like you see in Old Louisville and the Highlands.

If looking at that area I would look at the neighborhoods along Third Street & Southern Parkway (which more or less parallel each other), and of course around Iroquois Park and Kenwood Hill.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2014, 03:22 PM
 
7,047 posts, read 15,883,967 times
Reputation: 3521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I would!

I was just in that area yesterday afternoon!

The area along Southern Parkway...Beechmont...is really nice! I took a long walk yesterday afternoon down from the Beechmont library north to the Watterson and then back south of Woodlawn a bit, mostly along 6th Street, and that is a very nice area. A variety of older houses, large lots, beautiful tree-lined street, and even two pedestrian courts like you see in Old Louisville and the Highlands.

If looking at that area I would look at the neighborhoods along Third Street & Southern Parkway (which more or less parallel each other), and of course around Iroquois Park and Kenwood Hill.
Beechmont is and has been a gorgeous area. Furthermore, the little side, streets are full of great treats....buddhist temples, ethnic grocery and restaurants. It truly is a "big" city neighborhood like you would find in Chicago, Celeveland, Detroit, etc in the Midwest. Very diverse and integrated cultures.

Annie Café

Pho Binh Minh - Southside - Louisville, KY | Yelp

Are two of my favorite little spots on a cold day. Everytime I drive in that area, I discover more. The emphasis is on Vietnamese, Mexican, and Somali and African food and shops. Few people in Louisville know about these immigrant enclaves. Others exist out Poplar level rd, Indian Trail, and especially downtown Buechel on Old Bardstown Rd, where I have even had great Russian food and probably the best Bosnian bakery I have ever been to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 09:39 PM
 
1,394 posts, read 2,093,545 times
Reputation: 863
My wife and I found one "Argentine Parrillada" in Louisville, off of Brownsboro Rd, and judging by the last names of the owners, it seems to be run by real Argentines....which was surprising and encouraging at the same time for both me and my wife. We didnt expect to see that in Louisville.

Anyone eve run across or meet people from Argentina living in Louisville?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 01:15 AM
 
7,047 posts, read 15,883,967 times
Reputation: 3521
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
My wife and I found one "Argentine Parrillada" in Louisville, off of Brownsboro Rd, and judging by the last names of the owners, it seems to be run by real Argentines....which was surprising and encouraging at the same time for both me and my wife. We didnt expect to see that in Louisville.

Anyone eve run across or meet people from Argentina living in Louisville?
There are a few more than you would think. I believe there is a club for them and other South Americans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 AM
 
1,394 posts, read 2,093,545 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
There are a few more than you would think. I believe there is a club for them and other South Americans.
Really!? If you see, read or come across anything interesting here, will you post it so we can research it? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 PM
 
7,047 posts, read 15,883,967 times
Reputation: 3521
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Really!? If you see, read or come across anything interesting here, will you post it so we can research it? Thanks!
Try calling the Hispanic/Latino coalition:

International Organizations : GoToLouisville.com Official Travel Source

I know there are a few clubs, one of which is specifically Argentinians. They meet for dancing, food etc. I would link up with one of those groups but I cannot recall the name. As I keep reiterating here....Louisville is big and diverse enough to have something for EVERYONE of every background, race, sexuality, interest, age, etc. You just have to know how to use the internet to connect with those like minded people.

https://www.facebook.com/events/600027876774930/ I cannot find the link to the Louisville Argentine Society, but I would start here and try to connect through these folks. If your wife is worried about the diversity of Louisville, tell her to have no fear, it is not like the rest of KY. I do not mean this in a derogatory way, yet only to say that Louisville is COMPLETELY different than the rest of the state.


http://profileengine.com/groups/prof...-louisville-ky


I have been to a few of the Crane House events. It is more for Asians, but it is also a diverse community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 AM
 
1,394 posts, read 2,093,545 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Try calling the Hispanic/Latino coalition:

International Organizations : GoToLouisville.com Official Travel Source

I know there are a few clubs, one of which is specifically Argentinians. They meet for dancing, food etc. I would link up with one of those groups but I cannot recall the name. As I keep reiterating here....Louisville is big and diverse enough to have something for EVERYONE of every background, race, sexuality, interest, age, etc. You just have to know how to use the internet to connect with those like minded people.

https://www.facebook.com/events/600027876774930/ I cannot find the link to the Louisville Argentine Society, but I would start here and try to connect through these folks. If your wife is worried about the diversity of Louisville, tell her to have no fear, it is not like the rest of KY. I do not mean this in a derogatory way, yet only to say that Louisville is COMPLETELY different than the rest of the state.


http://profileengine.com/groups/prof...-louisville-ky


I have been to a few of the Crane House events. It is more for Asians, but it is also a diverse community.

Thanks Pete, I'll look into these with the wifey! These Tango groups, probably are more likely mostly american folks, that really love Argentine tango. Believe it or not, Tango is not really super popular here in Argentina, some of the really "old" Tango ( Carlos Gardel etc ) is popular with the older folks, especially my "in-laws" but it's not really a big thing down here like most people would think. They really push it mainly for tourism aspects because they know alot of foreigners like it.

In one of those Facebook groups I saw the last name of one gentlemen that I think may be an Argentine...I'll reach out and see what I come up with. The Argentine restaurant on Bardstown Rd ( not Brownsboro Rd ) "Viejo Palermo" probably is our best bet. Anywhere there is argentine BBQ and food( and the owners are def argentinos ) their will DEF be other Argentines...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paler...t/132222680172

Ever heard of, or eaten at this place?

Also, Argentines have alot of education and tend to assimilate better in US society, having a good handle on English, more so than other latinos, so it may be hard to find them through some of these local Latino chapters. Either way, I'll check it out and thanks for the heads up.

I took my wife to north western Kentucky and she met my extended "Kentucky family" there. At first a few of them didn't open up to her as quickly and were a bit shy ( some of them have never met anyone from outside of the US before ) and were fascinated to hear us speaking spanish. But soon they warmed up rather quickly and my aunts and uncles adore her ( thank God she already speaks REALLY good english ) and they welcomed here to our family, it really made me feel good, not that I had any worries, but my family are all hardcore Kentuckians, a bit clannish maybe? And can be really shy, not very social people at times.

Yet my granny gave a her a big hug and so did everyone else, and they all spent lot's of time with her, took her around etc.......it was funny to note how quiet everyone get when they'd catch us talking in spanish....kinda weird in a good way LOL.

She DID struggle with their Kentucky accents, and still does a little bit. My family in Ky, when we all get together their can be like 15 conversations all going at once, everybody catching up and chatting about anything and everything, so that was difficult for her. But she already knows how to pronounce Looavul" so she's well on her way

My family pronounces it more like "luhvul" but I think the way I taught her is a happy compromise LOL

The only potential problems I can see is my wife has already mentioned a few times how she already thinks UofL is cool...and wants my boy to go there in the future. That's not going to sit well with the hardcore, diehard UK fans in my family .... Of course it will be "all my fault" if she ends up becoming a "UofL" fan!!

Last edited by EricOldTime; 11-03-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 AM
 
7,047 posts, read 15,883,967 times
Reputation: 3521
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Thanks Pete, I'll look into these with the wifey! These Tango groups, probably are more likely mostly american folks, that really love Argentine tango. Believe it or not, Tango is not really super popular here in Argentina, some of the really "old" Tango ( Carlos Gardel etc ) is popular with the older folks, especially my "in-laws" but it's not really a big thing down here like most people would think. They really push it mainly for tourism aspects because they know alot of foreigners like it.

In one of those Facebook groups I saw the last name of one gentlemen that I think may be an Argentine...I'll reach out and see what I come up with. The Argentine restaurant on Bardstown Rd ( not Brownsboro Rd ) "Viejo Palermo" probably is our best bet. Anywhere there is argentine BBQ and food( and the owners are def argentinos ) their will DEF be other Argentines...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paler...t/132222680172

Ever heard of, or eaten at this place?

Also, Argentines have alot of education and tend to assimilate better in US society, having a good handle on English, more so than other latinos, so it may be hard to find them through some of these local Latino chapters. Either way, I'll check it out and thanks for the heads up.

I took my wife to north western Kentucky and she met my extended "Kentucky family" there. At first a few of them didn't open up to her as quickly and were a bit shy ( some of them have never met anyone from outside of the US before ) and were fascinated to hear us speaking spanish. But soon they warmed up rather quickly and my aunts and uncles adore her ( thank God she already speaks REALLY good english ) and they welcomed here to our family, it really made me feel good, not that I had any worries, but my family are all hardcore Kentuckians, a bit clannish maybe? And can be really shy, not very social people at times.

Yet my granny gave a her a big hug and so did everyone else, and they all spent lot's of time with her, took her around etc.......it was funny to note how quiet everyone get when they'd catch us talking in spanish....kinda weird in a good way LOL.

She DID struggle with their Kentucky accents, and still does a little bit. My family in Ky, when we all get together their can be like 15 conversations all going at once, everybody catching up and chatting about anything and everything, so that was difficult for her. But she already knows how to pronounce Looavul" so she's well on her way

My family pronounces it more like "luhvul" but I think the way I taught her is a happy compromise LOL

The only potential problems I can see is my wife has already mentioned a few times how she already thinks UofL is cool...and wants my boy to go there in the future. That's not going to sit well with the hardcore, diehard UK fans in my family .... Of course it will be "all my fault" if she ends up becoming a "UofL" fan!!

Talk to the Palermo Viejo owners. Its a great spot! When is the move? Just come on with it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 11:48 AM
 
1,394 posts, read 2,093,545 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Talk to the Palermo Viejo owners. Its a great spot! When is the move? Just come on with it
Honestly, I'm not sure. I hope within the next few years. My wife's visa application was only recently accepted for review so we'll see how long it takes, could be a year. We have until May of 2015 before we have to be out of our house, we don't want to reknew. My wife and I are starting over from scratch, leaving everything here and heading to the US. At first we'll stay at my moms in central florida I guess until we can get on our feet....unless if we find jobs in Louisville first. My moms retiring next year and wants to head back to Kentucky and she's interested in coming to Louisville with us, also she wants to be close to her grandbaby ( my son ) and her brothers and sisters in western Ky. For my wife this move is HUGE! She'll be 40 this month and we only 3 blocks from where she was born and raised. She's been to the US twice and Kentucky once, so it's gonna be a huge culture shock for her!

She was born and raised in the hills out in the country but said shes grown to like the quiet suburban life these days so Louisville is appealing to her. Even so, we are only an hour or so away from the Owensboro area where my mom and all my family is from. So, for us, Louisville offers the best compromise for everyone involved.

Me, I'm about as Kentuckian as they come with who I am, kind of a country boy, and I play Fiddle, Mandolin and Banjo. So friday and Saturday picking, parking lot jamz, bluegrass, folk music folks will be a must and Louisville "seems" to have a good Bluegrass music community.....at least I know it did at one time. Also I like fishing, camping and even hutning at one time..

I could live in the middle of nowhere in Bullit or Shelby counties on about 5 acres, but my wife won't have it. So, like everything in life it's a compromise, that's why we've chosen Louisville.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 11-03-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Louisville Area
68 posts, read 98,307 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
My wife and I found one "Argentine Parrillada" in Louisville, off of Brownsboro Rd, and judging by the last names of the owners, it seems to be run by real Argentines....which was surprising and encouraging at the same time for both me and my wife. We didnt expect to see that in Louisville.

Anyone eve run across or meet people from Argentina living in Louisville?
Can't think of any. I know some people from Chile, Bolivia and Peru, but not Argentina. Probably just me though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top