Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Actually since our case was officially "received" by the US Immigration services, we've recently officially broken the news that we're immigrating to the US to my "in-laws" and it hasn't been well received so far. I think it's partly "cultural" and also part of the "grieving" process and letting go. Time will tell whether they'll accept it and support us or not.

Even so my wife already has some cousins living in Houston ( for years I might add ) and an Uncle that lives near Jacksonville Florida.

Owensboro is a great little city, however, even though my family all lives there, it's not for me either. I don't think it's robust enough, nor big enough economically to provide the kinds of opportunities that we'll want. Even so, I'm close with my family so we'd be visiting their fairly regularly. Also, I'm a folk and Bluegrass musician, so even while living in Louisville, I'll be around alot of Kentucky folks who play the music and my wife will have to get used to that as best as she can.

But at the same time, I'll want to keep my bilingual spanish up to speed and also we'll hopefully be able to have friends from both sides...hopefully we'll be able to be involved in some latino expat groups, at the same time I'll be playing music and involved in the local music and festival scene as well.

It will be difficult for her, especially the first few years, but my wife has "perfect" english, and is educated and has 2 degrees....she has more education that me for goodness sakes! And, my wife is different from the rest of her family. She wants to live life and see, and do and live differently.

Even so, it's sad for them, that's normal. They adore our son ( their grandson ) and he won't be close by anymore. Plus, my wife has mentioned that she'll be challenged, really for the first time in her life and that she'll be out of her comfort zone. My wife really is a stellar person and women, very unique. There's not many still around out there that are like her, God has really blessed me with her. She wants to own and drive her own car for the first time, live in her own house as well....she just wants to grow and advance.

We're different, but were also very open and flexible. I get to be in Kentucky and close to my family and get my Kentucky living, get involved in the music that I love and miss while she'll be able to live in a place where she can get connected and hopefully meet new people, and even Kentucky people as well. It's going to help her grow as a person in many ways, myself included.
Great! When will you move to Louisville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Come back 2 to the Commonwealth. I am moving to Nashville this summer but Kentucky is a great place to live. GO KENTUCKY.. GO CATS.. GO BIG BLUE.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:00 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,706 times
Well hold your horses, my wife has to get her green card first! Hopefully within the next few years depending on how much we can get saved up and find employment more than likely.

UkWildcat1981 - You might find it hard continuing to be a UK fan down in Tenn Vol territory!

Last edited by EricOldTime; 11-20-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 AM

All right.....let's hear it!

This house was just reduced. It's in REALLY nice condition and the price is VERY reasonable and it SEEMS like an older, yet quiet middle class neighborhood. Is this an unsafe and high crime/burglary area? I'm curious because the price is VERY reasonable and my wife loves it, as do I. It has a nice big backyard, it's very small ( only my wife and son and I ) and it has a nice big fenced in backyard where my son can play

what say you guys...??

My wife and I like these older, simple, one story homes that are in nice condition like this one. I think it's a really nice little place and it's in good condition.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 PM

115 posts, read 146,243 times
I don't know that area extremely well but a bit further north it gets kind of bad, hopefully someone knows more about that area in particular. You might want to google street view.

Beechmont, the neighborhood south of the waterson is very pretty and a nice place to live. There is a huge population of refugees, which are vietnamese, bosnian, african, though I'm not sure from where, and cuban and and a ton of little groceries and ethnic restaurants. This is a cool blog about the area. https://thebelleofbeechmont.wordpress.com/

Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 AM

You know what concerns me about it? It has rail-road tracks. In Argentina, the criminals here sometimes use old cars, or more common, mopeds and motorcycles. They'll use these RR tracks day and night to traverse the city and have access to certain neighborhoods where they'll burglarize homes and assault folks. Then with their loot, theyll make there getaways down the RR track ways.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
I wouldn't be anything in that area myself. Pretty close by is streets that have a lot of blighted / vacant houses. For Southside I'd go more towards Auburndale. East of U of L has affordable housing but is quite a bit safer and seems to be improving rather than declining.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I wouldn't be anything in that area myself. Pretty close by is streets that have a lot of blighted / vacant houses. For Southside I'd go more towards Auburndale. East of U of L has affordable housing but is quite a bit safer and seems to be improving rather than declining.
Ok...thanks for all of the insight...I'm learning alot about Louisville just by following this forum!

Old 12-23-2014, 02:12 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
This is a pretty fair assessment. However, I recently drove through almost every street in that area. It varies a GREAT deal block by block even . In this regard, Louisville is becoming like a big city....a few blocks could be a nice neighborhood separated by a bad area then another good area. In general, Taylor Blvd is becoming an immigrant corridor with African and Asian restaurants and stores dotting the scene. In general, in South Louisville, the areas off third st and southern parkway SOUTH of I264 and closer to Iroquois Park are the nicer areas at this date.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
If Eric wants affordable but urban I'd definitely steer him from the Churchill Downs area over the east of U of L area. Only a few miles away and still affordable but a much better area with a lot of near future upside. The Highlands is pricing out people and they are moving down Eastern Pky. I see no positive momentum for the Churchill Downs area other than U of L building new student housing. I hope Taylor Blvd improves now that the public slums are gone. I've heard that was a nice middle class area before they were built. What a terrible idea to herd thousands of your poorest citizens into a dense public apartment complex. Worst urban planning mistake this nation ever made. Public housing should have been thinly spread out over a wide area. I live next to a small public housing complex in Lyndon and I can't recall one problem ever. Those mega complexes have destroyed entire parts of cities. end /rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area