Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
uh oh... You've come to the wrong place -
Do you mean Kentucky or this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 PM

209 posts, read 739,197 times
Oh, there are no doubt weirdos in this forum, but I meant Kentucky... but I know we're all no match for SoCal weird...!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Southern quirky is wonderful....I've met some wonderful strange, odd and delightful people in Kentucky - I didn't consider that a negative at all.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:04 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Default No light rail! Please, but why not monorail?

Please see my thread about Disney's monorail system. It's proven and it doesn't take lots of valuable land. It is not disruptive, and would cross the river easily, too. Yes, there is maintenance, but not too much on the track, mostly inshop replacement of the tires and some outdoors electrical work. The system has been working in LA since 1959!

When one stops to consider that with the mayor for life's downtown plans, how many miles of monorail can be built for the same as the many parking garages and surface streets that must be widened, improved, etc? The current cost of parking downtown is closing in on $5.00 per day. How many billions of dollars does that cost the average worker, especially with Museum Plaza, a squezzed in not much additional parking downtown arena, and at least three major new buildings going up? hmmmmm?

Last edited by tomocox; 01-19-2008 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: last paragraph

Old 01-19-2008, 12:19 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Please see my thread about Disney's monorail system. It's proven and it doesn't take lots of valuable land. It is not disruptive, and would cross the river easily, too. Yes, there is maintenance, but not too much on the track, mostly inshop replacement of the tires and some outdoors electrical work. The system has been working in LA since 1959!

When one stops to consider that with the mayor for life's downtown plans, how many miles of monorail can be built for the same as the many parking garages and surface streets that must be widened, improved, etc? The current cost of parking downtown is closing in on $5.00 per day. How many billions of dollars does that cost the average worker, especially with Museum Plaza, a squezzed in not much additional parking downtown arena, and at least three major new buildings going up? hmmmmm?
Tom, its a nice idea, but the Feds are not funding mass transit anymore. And the way our road system is funded is totally screwed. The gas tax pays for roads and maintenence, but then the environmental policy is use less gass. What gives? Bottom line, the Bush administration has driven this country into the ground. Hopefully, we can get a mover and shaker elected, whether it be Obama or anyone, who can turn things around, fix the Middle East fiasco, and turn around the economy. The sub prime mortgage collapse is killing what would otherwise be one of the biggest booms in Louisville's history. However, with the city planting seeds now, it has a bright future ahead of her. If we can continue to repopulate the urban areas, the city will be dense enough to support a monorail. Pretty much the only city I know of who has recently begun a new mass transit system is Charlotte, and when you look at the density of projects sprouting up around Lynx stops there, it ios simply phenomonal. THAT's how you build a city and that's why when you go to cities like DC, Chicago, and NYC, there are people and shops everywhere....mass transit allows this.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:17 PM

218 posts, read 637,211 times
"Tom, its a nice idea, but the Feds are not funding mass transit anymore."

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. What the Feds are doing is listening to many ones and calling it the many. The one thing that they forget is that each one is vastly different from all the other ones. If each one is going in a separate direction(much like the electrons in a nuclear reaction) then we all know what will happen(catastrophic explosion). Given the right fuel conditions, we might just be priming ourselves for just that. Equal funding for mass transit could be the control rods we are looking for.

People will not get out of their cars until it cost them more than the alternative transit mode.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:24 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Mass transit in Louisville would be a huge plus, but without federal funds and the recent announcements by the newly elected governor about Kentucky's financial crisis I don't think any plans will be made soon, much less any construction.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Mass transit in Louisville would be a huge plus, but without federal funds and the recent announcements by the newly elected governor about Kentucky's financial crisis I don't think any plans will be made soon, much less any construction.
As much as it pains me to say it, I completely agree with everything you said. I even think our bridge projects are in serious danger of being postponed or canceled. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 AM

25 posts, read 75,508 times
Default Keep Louisville Weird

Keep Louisville Weird is pushing the same agenda.

Good Stuff

Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
As much as it pains me to say it, I completely agree with everything you said. I even think our bridge projects are in serious danger of being postponed or canceled. Hope I'm wrong.
Heck, now they're talking about making them toll.

Williams: Bridge tolls are likely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area