Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM

86 posts, read 125,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Yeah, well in western Kentucky around Owensboro it's just as bad. When I was a kid, in the field next to my grandparents house was a very large Tobacco patch, plus they had Oak trees around and also a large field out back that had Johnson Grass, Ragweed and Goldenrod in it.....I was constantly stuffed up with the yellow stuff and headachey..

You know the worst? Besides the grass in Kentucky and all the agriculture and woods around? It's the Sycamore trees! They are beautiful and everywhere in Kentucky but they pollenate all summer long and it's the Sycamore pollen that really makes you feel bad. Get next to one of those trees before? Notice they have that kinda "stink" to em? That's the pollen...it will clog every sinus in your body and your eyes will water and go nuts! Welcome to Kentucky!

Of course my penchant for Ice-Cream and flour products didn't help at all. The only cure that I had was to wash it all away with some of the spectacular country dinners that my grandparents used to make. Fried Cornbread, with new potatoes ( the little yummy red taters ) and fresh snapped green beans, dried beans, sliced tomatoes, pickles, onions, Okra, Canteloupe ( Muskmellon ) slices with salt....all fresh from their garden. Washed down with a tall glass of Iced-Tea or Kool-Aid.....or a bowl of Burgoo....mmmmmm!!! I won't say anymore ( suddenly I forgot that I was even suffering
Yep it's the pollen that will get ya. Some days my car will have a complete yellow layer on it from the pollen due to my neighbor having one of the "smelly pollen trees." I'm currently fighting a pollen attack as I type this .

Sounds like a good ole kentucky country dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostellic View Post
Yep it's the pollen that will get ya. Some days my car will have a complete yellow layer on it from the pollen due to my neighbor having one of the "smelly pollen trees." I'm currently fighting a pollen attack as I type this .

Sounds like a good ole kentucky country dinner.
Yep, they've got one of those dang Sycamore Trees with the "leaf fuzz" pollen. I certainly feel your pain! I love Sycamores, they are pretty trees but bad to have around the yard if you're an allergy sufferer. You need to get some claritin, other that unless it rains, aint much you can do about it I'm afraid.

Yep it definately was, some of the best Kentucky country dinners around. You know, folks are funny in Kentucky. If someone has a granny or aunt or cousin, somebody that cooks really good, they never fail to show up around dinner time ( lunch in rural Kentucky. My granny is the worst! My great aunt, she could really cook, and was famous in the family for her southern cooking. They had a garden and would always have fried cornbread, beans, greens you name it. And if you could time it just right, you could get to their farm around dinner time. And you know, in rural Kentucky, show up to visit family right around dinner time and get your belly really full....it's the way it is. They'll never refuse that you don't get something to eat!
well my granny would watch the clock and she'd say "Eric you hungry?" and I'd say "yep" and she'd say, let's get over to your aunt's house, reckon she's bout done cookin dinner?" "Yup" I'd say.. "Ok let's go!"" She'd say.

sure enough we'd get their and have some great eats!! Only in Kentucky hahahahahah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area