Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 PM

86 posts, read 125,871 times

Advertisements

I noticed this hasn't really been brought up on here, but has anyone seen that we are getting USL pro soccer team in Louisville?!

I was at the unveiling of the Louisville City FC logo and I really like it. I'm hoping the team does well here. I heard that they need at least 3500 people per game in order to "do well" here. I'm wondering if that will happen since they are coming from Orlando due to the MLS expansion causing Orlando to become an MLS team and bring the sister team here. Apparently most games are on weekdays which may not work in their favor, but I'm thinking there are a lot more soccer fans in Louisville than anybody realizes. The Bats games usually have a solid attendance when I'm at their games, so I really hope they do well. What do you guys think?

I was interviewed by the Courier Journal at Molly Malones during the World Cup and was told that the MLS is thinking about continuing to expand, and that he (the journalist), is working on getting opinions about Louisville City FC being a big hit and maybe being one of the MLS expansion teams in the future.

I will definitely be at every game possible! Also, the Brazilian player Kaka signed with Orlando City's MLS team and they will be playing Louisville City in a friendly next season. How cool is that? A legendary soccer player will be in Kentucky playing at Slugger Field!

Anyone else as hopeful/excited as me? If not, what's your take on the matter?

I think this past World Cup has made a lot more local fans, especially with the USA doing well and surviving the "group of death."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,238,235 times
My Argentine wife will be happy when we move to Louisville. She's from one of the most fanatical soccer countries in the world....and I mean it when I say "fanatical"

Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
My Argentine wife will be happy when we move to Louisville. She's from one of the most fanatical soccer countries in the world....and I mean it when I say "fanatical"
haha I have a little bit of "sore loser" left in me towards Argentina. I'm originally from the Netherlands. Argentina stole my hopes of them winning it all when they knocked NL out.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,409,600 times
Soccer is very popular among Millennials. In my workplace where I'm old at 31 soccer is the third most popular sport after basketball and football. Several of my co workers already have Facebook cover images devoted to the new team.

I think the stadium setting at Slugger Field will be very unique and different. Most soccer stadiums are cookie cutter and in far flung suburbs. I hope the long term permanent soccer specific stadium has some character to it.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Soccer is very popular among Millennials. In my workplace where I'm old at 31 soccer is the third most popular sport after basketball and football. Several of my co workers already have Facebook cover images devoted to the new team.

I think the stadium setting at Slugger Field will be very unique and different. Most soccer stadiums are cookie cutter and in far flung suburbs. I hope the long term permanent soccer specific stadium has some character to it.
I'm glad to here that. During the world cup, I saw a lot of locals all over social media saying things like "the world cup is so stupid, i'm ready for football season!" I find it odd how it's not as popular in the states. Don't get me wrong, I love me some NFL sundays, but soccer takes the cake for me. I'm really looking forward to Louisville City FC's debut. There are quite a few people I work with who didn't even know about them. I hope they advertise well and that the word gets spread out so we can have a popular team.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 2,645 times
I'm pretty excited to have a team here, though I really hope they find a way to incorporate the UofL players that don't go on to MLS, to keep some excitement. I love the sport, having spent two years in London. Can't wait for this to go down.

I hope they know to aim it toward millennial age and downward. With smart camps and community activities, they can really be a part of our city. Even more so than the bats, who, let's be honest, we go to the games because they are the local show.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 17,822 times
Definitely great for the city and nothing is better than live soccer. Hopefully there will be strong local support after the world cup.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:11 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,409,600 times
Louisville City FC (Football Club) had its inaugural game today at Slugger Field. Attendance was just above 6,000 despite a frigid but sunny day. Louisville beat St Louis 2-0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: