Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
Is there a transit stop in New Albany? We just have one car. Which my wife uses to take our kids to school and preschool.
Yes, however there is to my knowledge, only one bus (bus 71) which serves mostly rush hour commuters into and our of Louisiville, however the bus does indeed run all day and even weekends:

TARC

http://www.ridetarc.org/uploadedFiles/71(1).pdf

Essentially, there are 4 stops in New Albany running from downtown New Albany (State and Elm) to IU Southeast, then returning to downtown Louisville. The buses come to these stops every 30-45 mins. So if you live along this route, the service is not bad.

There is a second bus, bus 82, which runs ever hour and 15 mins from New Albany over to the major shopping areas near Veterans Parkway in Clarksville.

There are 2 more routes which service Indiana suburbs. Bus 72 runs from the Veterans Pkway/Greentree Mall area of Clarksville into downtown Louisville:

http://www.ridetarc.org/uploadedFiles/72.pdf

Finally, there s bus 65. This runs during weekend business hours as an express service from a Park N Ride lot at Ivy Tech college in Sellerburg into downtown Louisville and vice versa in the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
Is there a transit stop in New Albany? We just have one car. Which my wife uses to take our kids to school and preschool.
Yes... TARC

Old 11-03-2014, 03:36 PM

68 posts, read 106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Parts of the Highlands near the parks anyways, and the part that backs into Crescent Hill...these parts have been yuppified almost in a big city kind of way....I am thinking Lincoln Park Chicago, Georgetown DC, or Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Ok, it'1s is not as vertical and dense, but you get the idea. The hippie, art, and gay community are now finding newer digs closer to downtown, Old Louisville, and even now Portland, Shelby Park, Germantown, Butchertown, and Nulu.
Good points. It's amazing how those shotguns on Payne St have shot up in prices over just 2-3 years. 10 years ago, one could easily find one there under $100k. It's actually unfortunate for people who grew up in that area but can't come close to affording a house there now. And like you point out, the diversity moves elsewhere.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:44 PM

68 posts, read 106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Just need to remember two things about living in Indiana and working in Louisville. One is there is always a bridge to cross. Even with the new bridges, there will be issues. One issue will be that the I-65 bridge downtown and I-265 bridge (east) will both be toll bridges. The other concern will be, there is a bridge.
Many people make that drive, so don't think you'll be alone, but the bridges have always historically been an issue for Indiana residents working in Louisville.
If the job is downtown, west of I-65, or just east of I-65 (KY side), I'm ok with Floyd County. If you are east of I-264 (Watterson X-way) then you'll need to start measuring your choices between a 20-30 minute ride from your home in New Albany, or a 10-15 minute ride from a lot of Oldham County.
Definitely a consideration. Fortunately, I work from home and my spouse's job is just a matter of going east to 31 south, crossing the 2nd St. Bridge, and hitting Broadway.

Not everyone has that luxury, so we're grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area