U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
 
6 posts, read 11,398 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the US Air Force and we will be getting out Dec of 09. We are trying to prepare now.....some thinks its to early but it does come fast. Anyways...

We have been reading a lot about Louisville KY and we both think that this will be a great place for the both of us. I am from the city (NJ) and he is from the country (MO)! Can someone please tell me what life is like in Louisville, how the job market is, and what the culture is like?

Also, we are looking to move on the outskirts of the city, at least a 20 minute drive. We will be looking to purchase a home with 3+ bedroom, 2+ bath with at least 5-10+ acres of land......Can anyone help us narrow down the area of search?

As far as the price range goes, we are not sure of that because we are not sure what type of jobs we can find.......currently we have a home that we paid $127k for and that is comfortable....I was reading that leaving Abilene and moving to Louisville will be about a 5% cost of living increase........anyways....please respond.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2008, 06:27 PM
 
7,000 posts, read 15,137,688 times
Reputation: 3432
Quote:
Originally Posted by amos2346 View Post
My husband and I are in the US Air Force and we will be getting out Dec of 09. We are trying to prepare now.....some thinks its to early but it does come fast. Anyways...

We have been reading a lot about Louisville KY and we both think that this will be a great place for the both of us. I am from the city (NJ) and he is from the country (MO)! Can someone please tell me what life is like in Louisville, how the job market is, and what the culture is like?

Also, we are looking to move on the outskirts of the city, at least a 20 minute drive. We will be looking to purchase a home with 3+ bedroom, 2+ bath with at least 5-10+ acres of land......Can anyone help us narrow down the area of search?

As far as the price range goes, we are not sure of that because we are not sure what type of jobs we can find.......currently we have a home that we paid $127k for and that is comfortable....I was reading that leaving Abilene and moving to Louisville will be about a 5% cost of living increase........anyways....please respond.

Do you have kids? My first two thoughts would be Shleby County or Oldham County. I think you would enjoy both, and ther are scenic and most parts of the counties are 40 minutes to downtown and 20 minutes to the large suburbs with shopping. Somewhere off US 60 in Shelby County or near US 41 in Oldham. If you offer more specifics I could help you more. I will tell you that it will probably cost as much as your current house just to get the amount of land you want. Here in the city (I live downtown), people pay between 40-100k just for a lot in a subdivision that may be a quarter acre.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 06:44 PM
 
6 posts, read 11,398 times
Reputation: 10
We do not have any kids. I have been looking online and have been able to find homes with land on it but I am not sure where they were all located. We are looking for a home with enough acreage for our 2 horses and so that in the future we can build the log home that we have always wanted!

I have been trying to do research on the job market and I figured that it would be a good idea to get a job in the city and then just have a drive. How many Targets are out there? I just got out of the AF (my hub is still in) and I work for Target, I am one step down from the store manager and I figured that maybe I would be able to just get a transfer to one of the Targets there.....are there any supertargets?

What type of specifics were u looking for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,524,545 times
Reputation: 2145
Amos, property in Oldham County is almost price prohibitive under the guidelines you set; however, Henry, Trimble, eastern Shelby, Spencer, southern Bullitt could be places worthy of your consideration. As a real estate broker with "cabin" experience, I recommend that you proceed very cautiously in your dream to build a cabin. Of course there will be exceptions, but we have never been able to recoup the living value of a cabin in sale value.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,448 posts, read 4,534,868 times
Reputation: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Of course there will be exceptions, but we have never been able to recoup the living value of a cabin in sale value.
Also, isn't it more difficult to get financing for a cabin? It's all very odd, because so many people love cabins and love the idea of living in one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,524,545 times
Reputation: 2145
The problem with financing a cabin is factual, but typically that comes from the location more than the style. It's the issue of old habits and stereotypes are hard to change.

Target is represented well within the Louisville market, but "super"-Targets, I know of none similar to the many Super-Walmarts, Meijers, etc. This doesn't mean that there are none.

Last edited by tomocox; 01-02-2008 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Target info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 20,894,305 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The problem with financing a cabin is factual, but typically that comes from the location more than the style. It's the issue of old habits and stereotypes are hard to change.

Target is represented well within the Louisville market, but "super"-Targets, I know of none similar to the many Super-Walmarts, Meijers, etc. This doesn't mean that there are none.
Dang. My dream is to someday have a cabin. What is the easiest place to buy one in KY or TN?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
 
7,000 posts, read 15,137,688 times
Reputation: 3432
Quote:
Originally Posted by amos2346 View Post
We do not have any kids. I have been looking online and have been able to find homes with land on it but I am not sure where they were all located. We are looking for a home with enough acreage for our 2 horses and so that in the future we can build the log home that we have always wanted!

I have been trying to do research on the job market and I figured that it would be a good idea to get a job in the city and then just have a drive. How many Targets are out there? I just got out of the AF (my hub is still in) and I work for Target, I am one step down from the store manager and I figured that maybe I would be able to just get a transfer to one of the Targets there.....are there any supertargets?

What type of specifics were u looking for?
There are 8 targets in metropolitan Louisville, nine if you count Elizabethtown, which is part of the Louisville Consolidated Statistical area, which is a census term for the area of N. Central Ky and S. Indiana with a population of approximately 1.4 million.

Supertargets are a "northen" city phenomenon as far as I know. I remember seeing Super Target and Target Greatland in N. Indiana, Chicagoland, and parts of Minneapolis and MI when I lived in those cities. In Louisville, there are plenty of nice Targets with groceries plus all the home goods but they do not have the Super Target designation. i think Oldham County would be a good bet for you and you commute in to one of the Targets near the Gene Snyder Freeway. Good luck to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 20,894,305 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
There are 8 targets in metropolitan Louisville, nine if you count Elizabethtown, which is part of the Louisville Consolidated Statistical area, which is a census term for the area of N. Central Ky and S. Indiana with a population of approximately 1.4 million.

Supertargets are a "northen" city phenomenon as far as I know. I remember seeing Super Target and Target Greatland in N. Indiana, Chicagoland, and parts of Minneapolis and MI when I lived in those cities. In Louisville, there are plenty of nice Targets with groceries plus all the home goods but they do not have the Super Target designation. i think Oldham County would be a good bet for you and you commute in to one of the Targets near the Gene Snyder Freeway. Good luck to you.
They have em in Tennessee as well. Somehow, we got skipped.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
 
7,000 posts, read 15,137,688 times
Reputation: 3432
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
They have em in Tennessee as well. Somehow, we got skipped.
Hmm..where? I have been to a couple Targets in Nashville and they were regular (ok I travel alot and I do like Target for a chain ). Is the one in Franklin a super target?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top