Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 07:59 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I certainly think extreme southern IN is underrated from a natural beauty standpoint. Still, it doesn't take too far from Louisville to be in a pancake cornfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 02:47 PM

68 posts, read 106,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Yet Indiana seems to still be doing slightly better at atracting jobs. KY has its own set of issues. But you are correct that wages in the city of Louisville are higher than a similar job across the river.
I think that's typical, regardless of the "right-to-work" status. Cost of living is higher on the KY side. I'd say that's a bigger indicator of wages for specific trades.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Yet Indiana seems to still be doing slightly better at atracting jobs. KY has its own set of issues. But you are correct that wages in the city of Louisville are higher than a similar job across the river.
We love Louisville like crazy!! I dont know why, but we do . . . That said, with retirement looming, we are looking for ways to save money. We are definitely going in to a smaller house no matter where we end up, but New Albany is sure looking like a contender for this smalling-down lifestyle. "Small" in the Highlands is still kind of expensive

Old 12-24-2014, 02:58 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal66 View Post
I think that's typical, regardless of the "right-to-work" status. Cost of living is higher on the KY side. I'd say that's a bigger indicator of wages for specific trades.
If you go to Dept of Labors own website, RTW states always pay way less in wages and benefits. Its good in one way in that it will draw huge corps there, but its bad in another, in that no area ever benefitted from the citizenry not having disposable income or high-salary positions to draw the best and brightest to that area.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
We love Louisville like crazy!! I dont know why, but we do . . . That said, with retirement looming, we are looking for ways to save money. We are definitely going in to a smaller house no matter where we end up, but New Albany is sure looking like a contender for this smalling-down lifestyle. "Small" in the Highlands is still kind of expensive
Agreed! We recently did just that (although we're nowhere near retirement). Assuming you like the older neighborhoods, you get so much more house for the money. Lots of really nice older urban neighborhoods. Coming from the Clifton / Crescent Hill area. If you need tips, let me know.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
If you go to Dept of Labors own website, RTW states always pay way less in wages and benefits. Its good in one way in that it will draw huge corps there, but its bad in another, in that no area ever benefitted from the citizenry not having disposable income or high-salary positions to draw the best and brightest to that area.
Definitely true, as non "right-to-work" are less employee-friendly. While that does play a role, I'd say that the difference found between both sides of the river has many factors, and a large one I suspect is cost of living.

"Right-to-work" is a huge misnomer too. Nothing of the sort.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Indiana just recently became a RTW state, so I doubt that has much impact for now. I'm not an economic law expert but it's pretty clear that Indiana (and South Dakota) are the job engines of an otherwise dying Midwest region.

Now in the metro area the best paying jobs are nearly all in the eastern half of Louisville. Most jobs on the Indiana side are lower paying office / medical, factory, or retail. That may change once those bridges are complete. River Ridge is posed to become Bluegrass Industrial Park North.

For now there's a bachelor's degree gap. Right now Floyd Co is at 22%, Clark at 19%. Louisville / Jefferson Co is at 30%, Oldham is 40%, Shelby 24%, Spencer 16%, Bullitt 12%. Not saying having a degree is the end all but high end companies do look for things like that

Old 12-24-2014, 10:33 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
New Albany would be a way to "still love Louisville" but get to be a part of lower taxes and frankly still a "dirty cheap" way of things for living 5 miles from what I still consider to be a mid major to major downtown center.

:: Historic New Albany ::

I mean, there are historic homes on there some of them almost mansions in decent shape, for less than 100k....Louisville has started to get discovered but it may be a decade or more before New Albany does...get it now while the getting is good!

http://www.historicnewalbany.com/def...=125000,200000

177k? really??? That home in the Highlands or anywhere with that detail would be at least 500k.

Last edited by Peter1948; 12-24-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 04:46 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
My girl goes on about how at one point they had rented a five bedroom house for about 400 a month in New Albany. I don't want to live anywhere but Louisville.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
New Albany would be a way to "still love Louisville" but get to be a part of lower taxes and frankly still a "dirty cheap" way of things for living 5 miles from what I still consider to be a mid major to major downtown center.

I mean, there are historic homes on there some of them almost mansions in decent shape, for less than 100k....Louisville has started to get discovered but it may be a decade or more before New Albany does...get it now while the getting is good!

177k? really??? That home in the Highlands or anywhere with that detail would be at least 500k.
It's amazing, isn't it? I think we'd be hard-pressed to find any comparable area outside any city center that's as cheap for that kind of house/mansion. The "regular" older homes there are an even lesser-known surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area