Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,016,299 times

Advertisements

I didn't know the majority of our population in Louisville is Catholic. I thought it would of been Baptist or an equal amount of Baptist and Catholics. It's not because of the Baptist Seminary, but because we're in the South and most Baptist are in the South. Then again, I really never thought about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I didn't know the majority of our population in Louisville is Catholic. I thought it would of been Baptist or an equal amount of Baptist and Catholics. It's not because of the Baptist Seminary, but because we're in the South and most Baptist are in the South. Then again, I really never thought about it.
There's alot of catholics in the south, especially south Louisiana and Mississippi and parts of Texas....

Alot of Kentuckians ( including my own ancestry ) have ancestry from England and southern Maryland ( a catholic colony ) and came to Kentucky shortly after the Revolutionary War after having received land grants for their revolutionary service in the continental army.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:32 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,632,857 times
Quote:
It's the history of German and Irish Catholics that you cannot miss. It is a big deal and historically, Louisville was at least 50% or more Catholic. I would say the number is now 33%...there are many people "raised Catholic" not practicing now. That is why Louisville's catholic schools were around 70 or so at their peak, and now have dwindled to around 30, including high schools (still an incredible number for a "southern" city)

In Louisville's old urban core, there is literally a Catholic church every 5-10 blocks. Many had schools which have since closed, and even some of the churches have closed. For example, in Shelby Park, Sojourn was formerly a Catholic church.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,628,994 times
This thread has been dormant for a while, but I didnt want to start a new one for stuff that is pertinent to this one.
KY has some strange laws regarding social security and teaching where teachers really get the short end. In short, they cannot collect at the same rate the rest of the working world. Beshear is trying to fix that, but right now, it is totally unfair. So, with retirement looming, my Wife and I spent time all over Jeffersonville yesterday because along with downsizing, she is thinking of applying to IN Dept of Education because their retirement situation is more fair for educators. Without being a buzzkill, I have to say Jeffersonville is not for us. We liked the little areas on/off Spring Street and around the water, but the neighborhoods just didnt do it for us. I couldn't get a Crescent Hill type vibe at all, anywhere. It seemed more Buetchell'ish. Not saying anything negative, lots of yard space in a lot of properties, but just not for us. We will be spending the day in New Albany next weekend using some links Peter provided as a starting point, so hopefully better luck.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:41 PM

797 posts, read 2,326,550 times
Jeff's downtown has come a long way and the waterfront is nice. There are some newer subdivisions a little farther out that are nice as well, but the main residential parts of the town itself are not the greatest or most exciting as you probably noticed. Hopefully you will like New Albany better. It has it's rougher parts as well, but as a whole I like it and it's downtown a lot better than Jeffersonville.

I don't know much about the retirement aspect for the teachers over here, but teaching in general is a bit of a mess with all the crap about the standardized testing and whatnot. The state legislature basically just removed a voter instated superintendent of schools because the majority party didn't agree with her policies. The teacher and school evaluation method is not really appropriate in my opinion either, but if retirement is in the near future perhaps these things won't be as big of a deal.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,334,810 times
Urban Southern Indiana isn't Crescent Hill or St Matthews, at least not yet. It's more similar to Germantown or Southern Pky right now, though it's improving. The nicest urban neighborhood by far is around the Culbertson Mansion in NA, which I'd compare to Old Louisville with more restaurants. Eastern and southern sections of NA (like Silver Street / East Spring St) are similar to Schnitzelburg/ Germantown.

Spring St in Jeffersonville is very nice but the nearby housing stock isn't elite and is mostly smaller homes that are in a flood insurance zone. There is a pretty large public housing complex (Fluton Terrace) that has some crime issues. The outer parts of Jeffersonville are nice suburban areas. New Albany has more older housing stock not in flood zones which is why in my own possible move I'm really targeting NA and assuming no go in Clarksville or Jeffersonville. Personally I'd prefer something pre WW2.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:03 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,063 times
Quote:
The central part of Kentucky and also the southern part of Louisiana are two hot-beds of Roman-Catholicism in the south. My own ancestors in Kentucky were persecuted English catholics from the midlands of central England that first migrated to southern Maryland and started Tobacco plantations. My ancestors were told to either convert to the Anglican Church or immigrate to Maryland, which was a Catholic colony set up under Lord Baltimore, an English Catholic. So they refused, had their lands and property seized and were forced to go to Maryland. Having settled in Maryland for some time, after the Revolutionary War, many of us ( Md to Ky Catholics ) received Kentucky land grants from the Continental Congress for our service in the Maryland Regiments during the War of Indep. My own family received a land grant of 150 acres on the banks of the "Rolling Fork river in west/south-western what was then "Washington county" now Marion county Kentucky near where Marion/Nelson/LaRue counties meet. This is about 60 miles south of Louisville. A big percentage of Catholic families in Washington, Nelson, Marion, Hardin Jefferson and Bullit counties trace their kin back to Maryland. This is what a few geneaologists have told me. You've heard of "turtleman" from Springfield Kentucky, Ernie Brown Jr? He's decended from an English Catholic family from Maryland to Kentuckly and most folks don't know it but he was raised Catholic. Brown is a big Kentucky Catholic family down around Manton Kentucky and Springfield over to Bardstown, lot's in Louisville as well...

However I've been hearing that many of Louisvilles catholics also trace their roots to Germany also which was a later Catholic migration. So my Catholic people came through the gap and up the Wilderness Rd, my 5th great grandfather to be exact. My family has been in Kentucky ever since.

Even so, my family are staunch catholic, but don't necessarily resemble the image or stereotype Catholic that one might have, per say, from the midwest or north-east. They are VERY much Kentuckians, VERY much southern people are very down to earth, country folks. Louisville is the same, a genealogoist friend told me that alot of the Catholic people in Louisville have grandparents and great grandparents from just south of Louisville down in Bullit, Washington, Nelson and Marion counties a generation or so removed. They migrated to Louisville to get off of the farm and find work. Surnames like: Roby, Mattingly, Livers, Bickett, Howard, Hinton, Brown, Beven, Logsdon, Hagan, Milay, Mills, Mudd, Payne, Huff, Hardesty, Boarman, Bowling, Johnson, Burch, Bray, Rummage .. if you hear catholic people around Louisville with those surnames, they have some MD to Ky ancestry no doubt.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 03-02-2015 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-02-2015, 04:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,334,810 times
Central KY also has more Christian Church / Church of Christ membership than Baptist. Those connected groups share a common origin at the revival held at Cane Ridge Meeting House near Paris KY. The first settlers in Southern Indiana mostly came from Central KY and the oldest churches there are Christian or Church of Christ, not Catholic or Baptist. Most mega churches in Louisville and Lexington are of this variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area