Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I am in the early stages of moving to Louisville and I'm obviously pretty lost right now. I will be coming from a medium sized town in Iowa. When I decided on Louisville, I was excited to see it's a similar size to my current city.

First, and most important things are finding a place to live and a job.

Living Situation:
The biggest factor for me is safety. I'd like to be in an area where you feel safe going outside at almost any time of day or night. Right now I live in a small suburban area tucked right off of downtown -- a couple apartment complexes, mostly houses, downtown just 10 minutes away. I've been here 4 years and there isn't much crime -- mostly vandalism, a few car break-ins, a couple gas stations broken into over those years. I'd like to find a similar area.

Secondary is the apartment itself. It needs to be clean, safe, but it doesn't have to be fancy. I'm a young, single guy, who works a lot -- I Just need a nice place to live and rest. Given I can match my current salary when I move I'm looking in the $600-750 rent range.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time around Shepherdsville RD and Buechel Bank Rd.

I found this apartment which is near by where I will be spending time and has good reviews/ratings. The area looks decent from what I can see. Does anyone have any experience with this apartment or thoughts on the area?

Bardstown Forest Apartments - Apartments For Rent in Louisville, Kentucky - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

The Job Situation:
I've found/applied for a few jobs so far, but I'm struggling to find a lot of jobs where my experience can be applied. I have 2 years in a warehouse shipping/receiving setting (oldest), 5 years in graphic design/web development/content management professionally, 3 years in banking/home mortgage/property tax industry. My degree is a BA in Business Administration.

Are there any big banks downtown that have servicing departments for mortgages or property tax by any chance? This is my current area of employment so this would be the easiest transition. Can anyone provide some big employers in these areas of work so that I can target them specifically and see if they have positions open? Big employers in general?

Any other suggestions? I am open to making a jump in to another area of business, as long as I can pay the bills. I'd like the commute to be as short as possible, but 20-25 minutes is the longest I'd like to commute.

I will update as I go along, maybe I can help other people who come here looking for advice.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read/reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:07 PM

14,670 posts, read 7,970,612 times
Indeed is an excellent employment search engine/website - I would try there.

Jobs, Employment in Louisville, KY | Indeed.com

Here are the current listing under banks

Bank of Louisville Jobs, Employment in Louisville, KY | Indeed.com

Graphic Design
Graphic Design Jobs, Employment in Louisville, KY | Indeed.com

Banks - Bank of Louisville, PNC, USBank, Fifth Third, Chase and Republic...and I am sure I am forgetting some.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:11 PM

7,059 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Russelled View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am in the early stages of moving to Louisville and I'm obviously pretty lost right now. I will be coming from a medium sized town in Iowa. When I decided on Louisville, I was excited to see it's a similar size to my current city.

First, and most important things are finding a place to live and a job.

Living Situation:
The biggest factor for me is safety. I'd like to be in an area where you feel safe going outside at almost any time of day or night. Right now I live in a small suburban area tucked right off of downtown -- a couple apartment complexes, mostly houses, downtown just 10 minutes away. I've been here 4 years and there isn't much crime -- mostly vandalism, a few car break-ins, a couple gas stations broken into over those years. I'd like to find a similar area.

Secondary is the apartment itself. It needs to be clean, safe, but it doesn't have to be fancy. I'm a young, single guy, who works a lot -- I Just need a nice place to live and rest. Given I can match my current salary when I move I'm looking in the $600-750 rent range.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time around Shepherdsville RD and Buechel Bank Rd.

I found this apartment which is near by where I will be spending time and has good reviews/ratings. The area looks decent from what I can see. Does anyone have any experience with this apartment or thoughts on the area?

Bardstown Forest Apartments - Apartments For Rent in Louisville, Kentucky - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

The Job Situation:
I've found/applied for a few jobs so far, but I'm struggling to find a lot of jobs where my experience can be applied. I have 2 years in a warehouse shipping/receiving setting (oldest), 5 years in graphic design/web development/content management professionally, 3 years in banking/home mortgage/property tax industry. My degree is a BA in Business Administration.

Are there any big banks downtown that have servicing departments for mortgages or property tax by any chance? This is my current area of employment so this would be the easiest transition. Can anyone provide some big employers in these areas of work so that I can target them specifically and see if they have positions open? Big employers in general?

Any other suggestions? I am open to making a jump in to another area of business, as long as I can pay the bills. I'd like the commute to be as short as possible, but 20-25 minutes is the longest I'd like to commute.

I will update as I go along, maybe I can help other people who come here looking for advice.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read/reply.
Louisville is substantially larger than anything in Iowa, by far. Not even Des Moines comes close in size to the city nor the metro area. In fact, Louisville has 50% of the population of the ENTIRE state of Iowa! (1.4 million city/MSA of Louisville to 2.8 million in entire state of Iowa)

Still, Louisville does not live like a large city. The area where you will work is an industrial area, and as those areas go, they do attract a small amount of crime. If you want an area close to there that is safe, may I suggest living further out Bardstown Rd, perhaps in Fern Creek near I-265.

If being single means being close to bars and nightlife for you, then look no further than the Highlands. If you search craigslist you can find an apartment or house in the upper Highlands for under 750 that is decent. I am thinking near the Gardiner Lane corridor for you. This will also put you closer to some nice young ladies to meet (assuming you are straight, if not there are some great nearby gay areas).

You may try two of the largest owned local banks, Republic and Stock Yards. Several national banks have large operations here (i.e. PNC, Fith Third, Chase, etc), however these companies are unreliable in keeping local jobs like the local banks.

Louisville's biggest private companies are Humana, Yum, Brown-Forman, Kindred, Signature Healthcare, Rescare, Pharmerica, Texas Roadhouse, Papa John's, etc. Certianly there are other major players, and UPS and Ford are two of the biggest companies with a local presence who have headquarters elsewhere. The hospitals (Baptist, University, KentuckyOne, and Norton) are also huge employers, along with the public schools and UofL.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:20 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
That area (generally refereed to as Beuchel) isn't awful but it's not great either. But go just a little further out and you'll be in a very safe area. Safe areas with a lot of apartments would be Fern Creek (Bardstown Rd outside Hurstbourne Pky), Jtown (center your apt search around Six Mile and Hurstbourne or along Taylorsville Rd), or Highview (along and south of Outer Loop). If you want to consider something more urban or an apartment house the look along Bardstown Rd inside the Watterson X-Way. That area is called the Highlands and its the city's most vibrant urban shopping / eating corridor

Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 5,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is substantially larger than anything in Iowa, by far. Not even Des Moines comes close in size to the city nor the metro area. In fact, Louisville has 50% of the population of the ENTIRE state of Iowa! (1.4 million city/MSA of Louisville to 2.8 million in entire state of Iowa)

Still, Louisville does not live like a large city. The area where you will work is an industrial area, and as those areas go, they do attract a small amount of crime. If you want an area close to there that is safe, may I suggest living further out Bardstown Rd, perhaps in Fern Creek near I-265.

If being single means being close to bars and nightlife for you, then look no further than the Highlands. If you search craigslist you can find an apartment or house in the upper Highlands for under 750 that is decent. I am thinking near the Gardiner Lane corridor for you. This will also put you closer to some nice young ladies to meet (assuming you are straight, if not there are some great nearby gay areas).

You may try two of the largest owned local banks, Republic and Stock Yards. Several national banks have large operations here (i.e. PNC, Fith Third, Chase, etc), however these companies are unreliable in keeping local jobs like the local banks.

Louisville's biggest private companies are Humana, Yum, Brown-Forman, Kindred, Signature Healthcare, Rescare, Pharmerica, Texas Roadhouse, Papa John's, etc. Certianly there are other major players, and UPS and Ford are two of the biggest companies with a local presence who have headquarters elsewhere. The hospitals (Baptist, University, KentuckyOne, and Norton) are also huge employers, along with the public schools and UofL.
Thanks for your reply, Peter. I'm not real sure on the population, I just took a quick Google search when I thought it wasn't much larger. If you Google Des Moines Population and Louisville Population they are only about 40,000 people apart in size. Then again Des Moines was taken in 2013 and Louisville in 1999! Oh well.

It's still good to hear the atmosphere isn't as big as the population. I've spent time in Toronto, Ontario which is massive compared to where I grew up and it's probably my favorite city. I prefer a medium city, I think, but I'll be alright.

I'm actually kind of boring. I spend most of my time working on my side business and keep a small group of friends. Not really much in to the bar/night life scene on a regular basis. I'm looking for more of a quiet little neighborhood with houses, maybe middle aged or older people. Any suggestions here that can keep me within reasonable drive to downtown or the area mentioned?

I'm going to spend some time tonight specifically targeting those and what they have to offer. That's a huge help instead of trying to look all over.

You mentioned Republic Bank. I actually just received an email response from them after inquiring about a few positions they have open the other day. These positions closely match what I do now, so I was hoping I could find a position. This is just much quicker than I expected!

Also thanks Crazee Cat Lady -- I've found a bunch of potential options on Indeed. Very good site.

Last edited by Peter1948; 12-09-2014 at 11:51 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 11:58 PM

7,059 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Peter. I'm not real sure on the population, I just took a quick Google search when I thought it wasn't much larger. If you Google Des Moines Population and Louisville Population they are only about 40,000 people apart in size. Then again Des Moines was taken in 2013 and Louisville in 1999! Oh well.

It's still good to hear the atmosphere isn't as big as the population. I've spent time in Toronto, Ontario which is massive compared to where I grew up and it's probably my favorite city. I prefer a medium city, I think, but I'll be alright.

I'm actually kind of boring. I spend most of my time working on my side business and keep a small group of friends. Not really much in to the bar/night life scene on a regular basis. I'm looking for more of a quiet little neighborhood with houses, maybe middle aged or older people. Any suggestions here that can keep me within reasonable drive to downtown or the area mentioned?

I'm going to spend some time tonight specifically targeting those and what they have to offer. That's a huge help instead of trying to look all over.

You mentioned Republic Bank. I actually just received an email response from them after inquiring about a few positions they have open the other day. These positions closely match what I do now, so I was hoping I could find a position. This is just much quicker than I expected!

Also thanks Crazee Cat Lady -- I've found a bunch of potential options on Indeed. Very good site.
41 Louisville, Kentucky metropolitan area Louisville, Kentucky Louisville/Jefferson County–Elizabethtown–Madison, KY-IN Combined Statistical Area 350 1,478,637 1,459,911

Des Moines, Iowa metropolitan area Des Moines, Iowa Des Moines-Ames-West Des Moines, IA Combined Statistical Area 218 742,936 722,323

Louisville CSA is over twice as big as Des Moines. There really is no comparison. Comparing the two is like comparing Louisville to Atlanta or Seattle. You cannot compare cities based on "population" as some are artificially inflated or deflated based on the total square miles that is considered the "city." That is why a better population metric is to look at the core city and its surrounding suburbs and exurbs.

Louisville's population in 1999 literally only included parts of downtown, the Highlands, and the west end, a very tiny geographic area compared to the vast swath of land considered to be "Des Moines."
In Kentucky, Des Moines is more similar to Lexington, although it is a bit larger than Lexington, which is mostly an overgrown college town.

Based on what you are saying, I would focus my Search on Jeffersontown and Fern Creek. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2014, 02:37 PM

68 posts, read 105,300 times
Quote:
Living Situation:

Hi Leon!

The good news is that the Shepherdsville Rd area is pretty accessible via the Watterson Expressway (I264) and Bardstown Rd (US150). For safety being your main consideration, I'd recommend looking in the Jeffersontown area, particularly Taylorsville Road east of Hurstbourne Pkwy. Give or take 2-3 miles, the distance is about 6 miles. Lots of apartments and home rentals there. Low violent crime, with mainly property crime scattered about.

Louisville is a bit bigger than Des Moines. Not a big city, but not small either.

Quote:
The Job Situation:
For graphic/web design, keep an eye on in-house positions in various city government institutions. Otherwise, one of the bigger ad firms is Scoppechio (formerly known as Creative Alliance). From personal experience though, Louisville has a lot of freelancing opportunities. Lots of local business here and across the river in Southern Indiana, and some solid networking groups to drum up the work.

I see you have warehouse/shipping experience: UPS's main hub is right here in Louisville at the airport. They are known to have good benefits.

I can't say about banking and financial services, since I know little about it.

Good luck in your move here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area