Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 06:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,704 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I've never been to Kentucky before, but needed to make a business trip later this month. I was wondering how difficult it was to get from the Ramada Inn on Zorn Avenue to a location in Clarksville, Indiana by taxi. I Googled it and it looked like a 12 minute ride. However, like I said I've never been to Kentucky before so I'm not sure if taxis will cross state lines and things of that sort. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:47 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
I don't know how easy it is to get one, because I've never taken a taxi in Louisville. I don't see very many around compared to where I used to live (the Twin Cities), but I'm sure the concierge at the Ramada can help you out with that end of it.

As far as going across the state line, that's no problem. Cab companies cross the river all the time. I'm not certain whether you can take the same taxi back to Louisville when you're finished, because I don't know whether cabs that are licensed on one side of the river can pick up in the other state, but they are allowed to drop on either side.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I don't know how easy it is to get one, because I've never taken a taxi in Louisville. I don't see very many around compared to where I used to live (the Twin Cities), but I'm sure the concierge at the Ramada can help you out with that end of it.

As far as going across the state line, that's no problem. Cab companies cross the river all the time. I'm not certain whether you can take the same taxi back to Louisville when you're finished, because I don't know whether cabs that are licensed on one side of the river can pick up in the other state, but they are allowed to drop on either side.

Cool, thanks for the help! I'm thinking about just paying the extra $75 to rent a car for my three days there. Not just to get to Clarksville, but to make the trip generally more enjoyable. Any thoughts on it?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
I would, if it's not a budget buster. If you have some free time, have never been here before, and may not be back again, there's some cool stuff to see and do in the area that you can only get to if you have your own transportation. Even if it's just driving around the area checking out the beautiful horse ranches, or taking a day trip to Lexington or down into the Bluegrass country, a rental car will allow you to take home a lot more lifetime memories than you could if you're just sitting in the hotel room watching TV.

Where are you from? Have you ever been to the South before at all? Are you a history buff, boxing fan, baseball fan, horseracing fan? We've got the Muhamad Ali Center, the Louisville Slugger Museum, Churchill Downs, and more historical landmarks than you can shake a stick at. This is the area where Abe Lincoln was born, where Daniel Boone carved out the Wilderness Trail to open up what was then considered "the West" to settlers from Virginia, and a host of other unique historical points of interest. There's a lot to see here that you can't see anywhere else, and besides, having your own car gives you the chance to check out a lot of terrific small restaurants and clubs.

Look at it this way - that 75 bucks will buy you experiences that you'll literally remember the rest of your life. What else are you going to spend it on that will give you back that much over the course of your lifetime?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Yeah, rent the car! A 5 mile trip in a cab is going to be 20-22 dollars anyway. There's lots of stuff to do here to pass time, even if it's nothing more than walking Bardstown Road or NuLu or something like that. You might even be saving money depending on what your agenda is.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:42 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,569 times
I'd rent a car, that's what I'd do if I were you...

Old 01-03-2015, 01:14 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:

There are far more cabs than you think, especially inside the watterson. They are used to crossing to the S. Indiana hotels. I lived in the twin cities for almost a year....I did not see any more cabs there than I do in Louisville (only very major cities have lots of cabs i.e.. Chicago, NYC, DC, etc. Even LA doesn't have many cabs for a major city). In Louisville the only place you can "hail a cab" as if in a city like NYC would be downtown, near 4th street live, and also in the Baxter bar district in the evenings from 10 PM until 2-3 AM. Otherwise, you must call a cab or use your Uber ap, which works great (most I have waited was 15 mins)

I agree with other posters to rent a car for many reasons, if none other than the price per day will end up being similar. The price of cab for your trip will be around 20 each way, so lets say close to 50 after tip. If you get on priceline or even enterprise, you can usually rent a car for under 30 dollars per day. Even with tax and gas, you are still going to spend 50 dollars a day. At least there is no waiting on a cab and relying on someone else.

If I wasn't going to rent a car, I would use Lyft or Uber over a cab. Uber works great and has great service in the urban parts of Louisville.

That said, I would rent the car and check out, at the very least:

Museum Row downtown:

Take your pick but I would do at the very least
1. Evan Williams Bourbon Experience
2. Louisville Slugger Museum or Muhammad Ali Center. Stop in nearby Proof/21C to see the free modern art museum (very small)/quirkiness
3. Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs
4. A trip to Nulu (east Market) for a shirt At Why Louisville and Coffee at Please and Thank You
5. A trip to Bardstown Rd for a gift from Edenside Gallery, a cookie from Kizito, a taco from Taco Luchador, and a growler and pommes frites at Gralehous
6. A brief stroll down Frankfort Ave for some tea at Four Sisters or some Bourbon at Bourbon's Bistro
7. A drive to St. James Court to see the beautiful historic architecture. Take a walk up to nearby Belgravia Court and notice one of Louisville's finest pedestrian only streets.

Albert gives some great advice. I disagree on Lexington....nothing there you cannot see in Louisville and nowhere worth a trip with so much to see/do in Louisville. Should seeing a horse farm interest you, take a drive on US 60 from east of I-265 to Shelbyville and make a stop at Claudia Sanders Dinnerhouse or stop in historic downtown Shelbyville to see a small historic suburban KY town. If you like shopping, there is a nice outlet mall in Simpsonville.

BTW...soon I will move this thread to the Louisville subforum, where it belongs

Old 01-04-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I would, if it's not a budget buster. If you have some free time, have never been here before, and may not be back again, there's some cool stuff to see and do in the area that you can only get to if you have your own transportation. Even if it's just driving around the area checking out the beautiful horse ranches, or taking a day trip to Lexington or down into the Bluegrass country, a rental car will allow you to take home a lot more lifetime memories than you could if you're just sitting in the hotel room watching TV.

Where are you from? Have you ever been to the South before at all? Are you a history buff, boxing fan, baseball fan, horseracing fan? We've got the Muhamad Ali Center, the Louisville Slugger Museum, Churchill Downs, and more historical landmarks than you can shake a stick at. This is the area where Abe Lincoln was born, where Daniel Boone carved out the Wilderness Trail to open up what was then considered "the West" to settlers from Virginia, and a host of other unique historical points of interest. There's a lot to see here that you can't see anywhere else, and besides, having your own car gives you the chance to check out a lot of terrific small restaurants and clubs.

Look at it this way - that 75 bucks will buy you experiences that you'll literally remember the rest of your life. What else are you going to spend it on that will give you back that much over the course of your lifetime?
I decided to rent the car after all and am really looking forward to it! I'll definitely try to check out the Muhammad Ali Center and some of the other places you mentioned. I'm a huge fan of combat sports so the Muhammad Ali Center is kind of a must for me haha. I'm coming from Massachusetts and have never been to Kentucky. It should be a fun adventure. Thanks for all of the tips and other information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
There are far more cabs than you think, especially inside the watterson. They are used to crossing to the S. Indiana hotels. I lived in the twin cities for almost a year....I did not see any more cabs there than I do in Louisville (only very major cities have lots of cabs i.e.. Chicago, NYC, DC, etc. Even LA doesn't have many cabs for a major city). In Louisville the only place you can "hail a cab" as if in a city like NYC would be downtown, near 4th street live, and also in the Baxter bar district in the evenings from 10 PM until 2-3 AM. Otherwise, you must call a cab or use your Uber ap, which works great (most I have waited was 15 mins)

I agree with other posters to rent a car for many reasons, if none other than the price per day will end up being similar. The price of cab for your trip will be around 20 each way, so lets say close to 50 after tip. If you get on priceline or even enterprise, you can usually rent a car for under 30 dollars per day. Even with tax and gas, you are still going to spend 50 dollars a day. At least there is no waiting on a cab and relying on someone else.

If I wasn't going to rent a car, I would use Lyft or Uber over a cab. Uber works great and has great service in the urban parts of Louisville.

That said, I would rent the car and check out, at the very least:

Museum Row downtown:

Take your pick but I would do at the very least
1. Evan Williams Bourbon Experience
2. Louisville Slugger Museum or Muhammad Ali Center. Stop in nearby Proof/21C to see the free modern art museum (very small)/quirkiness
3. Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs
4. A trip to Nulu (east Market) for a shirt At Why Louisville and Coffee at Please and Thank You
5. A trip to Bardstown Rd for a gift from Edenside Gallery, a cookie from Kizito, a taco from Taco Luchador, and a growler and pommes frites at Gralehous
6. A brief stroll down Frankfort Ave for some tea at Four Sisters or some Bourbon at Bourbon's Bistro
7. A drive to St. James Court to see the beautiful historic architecture. Take a walk up to nearby Belgravia Court and notice one of Louisville's finest pedestrian only streets.

Albert gives some great advice. I disagree on Lexington....nothing there you cannot see in Louisville and nowhere worth a trip with so much to see/do in Louisville. Should seeing a horse farm interest you, take a drive on US 60 from east of I-265 to Shelbyville and make a stop at Claudia Sanders Dinnerhouse or stop in historic downtown Shelbyville to see a small historic suburban KY town. If you like shopping, there is a nice outlet mall in Simpsonville.

BTW...soon I will move this thread to the Louisville subforum, where it belongs

Thank for for all of the information as well! I actually heard of Taco Luchador before, but didn't know they were in Kentucky? Are they only in Kentucky? I'm not big on Mexican food, but I'm pretty sure I'll check them out. As I mentioned I'm big on combat sports and like a lot of people who enjoy regular combat sports I also like pro wrestling. As such it is tough to pass up eating at a place called Taco Luchador

Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I decided to rent the car after all and am really looking forward to it! I'll definitely try to check out the Muhammad Ali Center and some of the other places you mentioned. I'm a huge fan of combat sports so the Muhammad Ali Center is kind of a must for me haha. I'm coming from Massachusetts and have never been to Kentucky. It should be a fun adventure. Thanks for all of the tips and other information!

Thank for for all of the information as well! I actually heard of Taco Luchador before, but didn't know they were in Kentucky? Are they only in Kentucky? I'm not big on Mexican food, but I'm pretty sure I'll check them out. As I mentioned I'm big on combat sports and like a lot of people who enjoy regular combat sports I also like pro wrestling. As such it is tough to pass up eating at a place called Taco Luchador
LOL. Taco Luchador is a locally owned small taco restaurant that does have a bit of a fighting theme with a few luchador masks on the wall (I think?) but the star of the show is the food!

So you like combat sports?

Definitely Check out the Frazier History Museum. Formerly owned as the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, it has all kinds of cool old fighting stuff like George Washington's gun, I think Daniel Boone's gun, and a daily live jousting match and other great arms artifacts.

Frazier History Museum

This museum is walkable from the Ali museum. On the way, google map a place called Atlantic No 5:

Atlantic No. 5 | Louisville, KY

A really great lunch, like something you'd find in NYC.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:50 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Car rental definitely. Maybe I'm just spoiled since I live in DC and can usually walk right out to a taxi or even Uber, but I'd never depend on cabs to get around in Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area