Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,973 times

Advertisements

On I-65 the speed changes from 65 to 55. I was in a hurry to get to louisville and got pulled over doing 83 in a 55. However, I had my cruise set on 80 so I know I wasn't going 83. I know both are too fast regardless, but anyways. I have to go to court, because my ticket is for going 26 mph over. I've never been pulled over before and never had to go to court or anything. What can I expect to happen? Is there anyway that the court will believe me that I wasnt actually going 83? And should I have to get a lawyer? If I need to get a lawyer, how expensive will that be? I'm in college so I can't really afford too much. I'm only 18, Im not sure how any of this works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 04:06 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,571,936 times
83 in a 55 zone is not 26 miles over, it's 28. Almost 30 miles over the limit. No, the judge will not accept your cruise control argument - without some sort of solid evidence to the contrary, they'll accept the trooper's number, 83 MPH. Are you sure your ticket was only for speeding? Because I'm pretty sure that in the state of Kentucky, anything more than 25 over the limit can be written as reckless driving. If the trooper only wrote you for speeding, that may be the only break you can expect to get in this case.

But if I were you, I would be asking these questions of an attorney, not a bunch of total strangers on a message board -most of whom are probably not going to be very sympathetic to someone driving almost 30 miles over the speed limit on roads we (and our families) drive on every day ourselves.

And by the way... you say this was in an area where the speed dropped from 65 to 55... that means it was probably in the Louisville metro area, where there is a lot of construction going on at the moment. This wasn't in a construction zone, was it? Because if it was, then yes - you definitely should be talking to a lawyer. I would read that ticket very carefully if I were you, and make sure you understand exactly what you are charged with.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 01-03-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM

318 posts, read 513,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
If the trooper only wrote you for speeding, that may be the only break you can expect to get in this case.

But if I were you, I would be asking these questions of an attorney, not a bunch of total strangers on a message board -most of whom are probably not going to be very sympathetic to someone driving almost 30 miles over the speed limit on roads we (and our families) drive on every day ourselves.
Exactly, well said, Albert.

A little advice, Mzfitz? It's free & costs nothing but the time to read it: You've already admitted speeding.
Be an adult: take the spanking, pay the ticket & be thankful the patrolman was actually lenient on you.

Kind of a tough lesson in your present circumstances, though not one you're likely to repeat anytime soon.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:02 PM

5,766 posts, read 16,494,290 times
Different states have different ways of dealing with tickets and I have never been in your state but you should find out if they routinely drop the speed down to the next lower level and or if you can take an online safety course to knock any points down.

Some states do either or or both depending on local custom. And don't get more ticks.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,228,416 times
Maybe you outta learn to slow down some young man....
Lucky you didn't get hauled off to jail and lose your driving priveledge

Old 01-05-2015, 07:56 PM

26,677 posts, read 41,509,172 times
From all the similar speeding posts on the VA forum, I'd explore legal help, maybe hire a lawyer and look to make a deal where you plead to a lesser offense and take driving school. This is not going to look good to your insurer as is.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:10 AM

165 posts, read 307,721 times
When I got a ticket for 43 in a 25 a few years ago, I got a letter in the mail from an attorney a few days later who offered to defend me for a flat fee. It worked well. I assume he'd gotten my address from the public ticket/court records.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:36 AM

11,008 posts, read 17,377,801 times
The only one who will benefit from you hiring a lawyer is the lawyer. You were speeding. You admitted it. My son was pulled over for doing 65 in a 50. He got a fine and, since it was his first ticket, he had to go to a class. Just pay the fine and get it over with instead of dragging it on and on and on.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM

68 posts, read 105,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfitz01 View Post
On I-65 the speed changes from 65 to 55. I was in a hurry to get to louisville and got pulled over doing 83 in a 55. However, I had my cruise set on 80 so I know I wasn't going 83. I know both are too fast regardless, but anyways. I have to go to court, because my ticket is for going 26 mph over. I've never been pulled over before and never had to go to court or anything. What can I expect to happen? Is there anyway that the court will believe me that I wasnt actually going 83? And should I have to get a lawyer? If I need to get a lawyer, how expensive will that be? I'm in college so I can't really afford too much. I'm only 18, Im not sure how any of this works.
55 mph limits are either in the city or construction areas. Whether it's 80 or 83 mph, most importantly it's dangerous driving in a populated metro area. Stop doing it. You're risking everyone's life as well as your own. Also, using cruise control in city interstate traffic or construction is a terrible idea. As for the speed, many cars will vary on speed depending on terrain.

He could have gotten you on reckless driving if he wanted. Did he? Being 18, I'm sure your insurance will increase substantially because you are seen as a high risk driver to the insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: