Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 16,774 times

Advertisements

We are in our 40's with three kids, ages 8, 12, and 14 yrs. We are looking for someplace with good schools access to culture and a friendly somewhat liberal vibe. We have been looking into Fla and Carolina's and Pa. Recently we saw a house in Barbour Manor. Could anyone tell us anything about the area?
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of NY View Post
We are in our 40's with three kids, ages 8, 12, and 14 yrs. We are looking for someplace with good schools access to culture and a friendly somewhat liberal vibe. We have been looking into Fla and Carolina's and Pa. Recently we saw a house in Barbour Manor. Could anyone tell us anything about the area?
Thanks for your help.
I am not familiar woth Barbour Manour...could you please give an address?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:31 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,640 times
It's off of Barbour Ln, not too far from Brownsboro and Springdale. It sits right up against I-71 - it has a lot of trees, but still some freeway noise/smells.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 PM

69 posts, read 321,663 times
Check out Oldham county-great schools for your kids!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:43 AM

12 posts, read 39,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of NY View Post
Thanks for your help.
I think the key word here for you may be liberal. I don't really think of the Carolinas or Florida as being liberal but, never having lived there I could be wrong.
Louisville is about 50/50 when it comes to being politically diversified. I consider myself a liberal and I love it here. It's a great place to raise kids. The cost of living is more than reasonable. We have an arts/entertainment atmosphere that is very progressive. Restaurants here extremely diverse, innovative, and best of all affordable.(Which is great when introducing your kids to more sophisticated dining than fast foods or family restaurants.)
Louisville is working on their outdoor recreational opportunities. We have great state, county parks for hiking, boating on the river but I find that winter sports activities are lacking.
Housing here is still pretty affordable. $300,000 or less will get you a nice 3-4 BR home in some of the nicest areas in town.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,928 times
I can tell you everything you would like to know about Barbour Manor in Louisville, Kentucky. I lived in this neighborhood for over 10 years and am a Realtor that knows this area of Louisville extremely well. It is a fabulous neighborhood w/ many wonderful features. Great schools, churches, minutes to downtown businesses, hospitals and the airport too. Barbour Manor is one of the most affordable neighborhoods in this quadrant of the east end of Louisville inside the Gene Snyder Freeway. The neighboring communities are priced between $280k - $375K. A new neighborhood across the street is from $600K to over a million. Neighborhoods behind this one is between $325K - $600K and then there is Barbour Manor $180k to $250K. Approx 300 homes range in age from 25-30 years. A newer section in the back w/ homes priced $300K - $375K and age around 8-12 years. There is only one way in and out of Barbour Manor, no through traffic and every street is a culdesac street. The homes that back to the interstate all have incredible yards because they are huge pie shaped lots. My home used to back to the interstate and it was not a bad thing at all. I am a native Floridian who has lived in Louisville for the last 22 years and I love the distinctive 4 seasons. Not too much cold or hot weather. It is a wonderful place to live. Barbour Manor has a very involved HOA too that really keeps the neighborhood looking nice. They have a parade on July 4th for the kids, a holiday lights contest around December and an annual yard sale. They also publish a newsletter to keep residents up to date on the happenings in the neighborhood.

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-25-2008 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: ad

Old 02-01-2008, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 25,235 times
Smithtown, here, let me know how you guys make out, I have three years to go and was thinking of Tennessee, North Carolina or Pa. Pa. to me is too depressing. No one really comes back to the state after their education because of the lack of jobs, unless you want to work in a gritty city like Philadelphia. I have heard many wonderful things about Kentucky, particularly Louisville area. They supposedly have a big education and medical business base there. Plenty of jobs, good living and great people. Let me know!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 33,070 times
I would check out any address for public schools before purchasing, or have your kids in private schools if staying in Jefferson County; they could get get bussed all over the county or end up in the worst school possible, however since they are older it may not be a big issue - but still check it out. [url=http://datacenter.courier-journal.com/schools/kentucky/desegregation/assignments]courier-journal.com » Jefferson County school assignment proposal map[/url]

We have 4 children ourselves and are in a bind with the schooling and considering purchasing in Oldham County. People are great here, price of living is reasonable (check the areas first!), and there is always something to do! Good luck with your move, and become a Cardinal or UK fan!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 AM

221 posts, read 751,891 times
I live in PA now and want out. The taxes here are simply obscene with no real services to show for it--excpet some good schools. Note the word some. Parts of it are indeed beautiful, Pittsburgh is a beautiful but backward city in many ways, though with good arts. Some of us actually like Philly. But the joke here is: What's between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh? Alabama.

(Sorry, don't mean this as a slam to Alabama, which I also know and like.) But outside the cities, PA is just emerging from the 1960's in many ways and waking up to the reality that industry will not return as has been hoped since the 70's. Not all of this is bad. There is a love of family and care for community that is endearing. And some beautiful old little towns like Lititz near Lancaster that are the epitome of an It's a Wonderful Life set.

Last edited by Windwalker; 02-13-2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
I know everyone must be sick of my praise for Oldham County and the love I have for living here. It's a wonderful life! Great schools, great people, great place to operate a business. Perfect, heck no, but a great part of what I like about Oldham County is that it is so non-perfect. We fight for what we believe and enjoy each other afterwards. Ideal is my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: