Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 PM

12 posts, read 25,158 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning on visiting Kentucky for vacation in mid to late March. I will be renting a car to visit some of the bourbon distilleries. I recently got my golden ticket in the mail from Maker's, notifying me "my" barrel is ready . Any suggestions on hotels? I would prefer to stay downtown to be close to restaurants and nightlife. The Brown Hotel keeps coming up in my searches, but I can't tell how it fits in with the general downtown area, or if it's in walking distance to retails/restaurants.

Any restaurant recommendations? I haven't had a chance to research on Yelp yet, but BBQ and southern food in general would be my first choice since I'm coming from the west coast. I don't mind driving out of the way if the food is great!

How is the weather during that time of the year?

Basically, I'm just looking for overall suggestions on what to check out during my stay. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 01:04 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedmedia View Post
Hello,

I am planning on visiting Kentucky for vacation in mid to late March. I will be renting a car to visit some of the bourbon distilleries. I recently got my golden ticket in the mail from Maker's, notifying me "my" barrel is ready . Any suggestions on hotels? I would prefer to stay downtown to be close to restaurants and nightlife. The Brown Hotel keeps coming up in my searches, but I can't tell how it fits in with the general downtown area, or if it's in walking distance to retails/restaurants.

Any restaurant recommendations? I haven't had a chance to research on Yelp yet, but BBQ and southern food in general would be my first choice since I'm coming from the west coast. I don't mind driving out of the way if the food is great!

How is the weather during that time of the year?

Basically, I'm just looking for overall suggestions on what to check out during my stay. Thanks!
Welcome to Kentucky!

I can't say as much about Louisville but I'm pretty sure you can get some standard southern style home cooking and country fare in the city in some places.

May I recommend something that's truly Kentuckian and unique to Kentucky?

You mentioned driving a bit out of the way wasn't a big deal. If you truly want to sample some good BBQ southern style in the Kentucky tradition, you need to drive 2 hours over to western Kentucky and visit Owensboro Kentucky where my family lives. Just take Old-Dixie Highway south west of Louisville over to Muldraugh near Ft Knox and then turn west at the traffic light there onto Kentucky Hwy60. It's a 2 hour drive through Hardinsburg, Hawesville and then on into Owensboro. You'll drive through the the rolling hills and country side over to western Kentucky, you'll love it.

Once in Owensboro, you have "3" choices:

"Moonlite BBQ" - Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn - Kentucky BBQ Restaurant

"Old Hickory BBQ" - Old Hickory Bar-B-Q | Award Winning Mutton and BBQ | Barbecue Restaurant, BBQ, Catering- Owensboro, KY

"Old South BBQ" - Ole South Barbeque | Full Custom Gospel BBQ

Here you'll get what we're famous for "BBQ'd Mutton" ( sheep, don't knock it till you've tried it. It's like nothing you've ever tasted before I guarantee it! ) And also Pulled Pork and "Burgoo" a spicy stew usually with Mutton, Chicken and lot's of vegetables, very hearty.

I personally recommend "Old Hickory" as the best, but Moonlite BBQ really caters to tourists and has an AWESOME dessert bar with fresh cakes, pies mmmmm! Check it out, it's as good a representation on Kentucky's style BBQ as you get. It's not too far from Louisville and you could do it in a day in be back to Louisville in no time.

I'll turn it over to the Louisville boys now here who are experts on all thing Louisville..

By the way - Kentuckians pronounce "Louisville" "Loo-UH-vul" or some even say "Luh-vul" like in my family.

Enjoy!

Old 01-14-2015, 01:10 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
If you're staying downtown, look into Doc Crow's for southern type food. Maybe find yourself someplace that serves a good Hot Brown while you're here if you want to try Louisville's signature dish. The Brown hotel (as in where the hot brown originated) is nice and classic Louisville. A little more on the south end of downtown away from things. The Seelbach Hilton is very nice and also walkable to pretty much all of downtown. It's also right across the street from the touristy clubs and bars at 4th Street Live. The food scene here is mostly outside of downtown, but there are enough options to find something decent if you don't want to go to the better places.

For barbecue, you might want to try to get into Feast in New Albany. I think they may have just opened a branch in Louisville as well. For something a little cheaper/casual/different you could grab a sandwich at one of the Mark's Feed Store branches. I don't care for their style of barbecue, but others might. If you go to Doc Crow's downtown you might want to pop into Milkwood for a drink. It's a very original type of place with its food and drinks. Or since you're here for bourbon you might want to stop in the distillery Evan Williams recently opened downtown.

Downtown is nice, but there's a lot more to Louisville than just downtown. Maybe while you're here, head over to Waterfront Park and walk across the Big Four bridge or drive south of downtown through Old Louisville or something.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:59 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
One place I highly recommend (my wife, originally from S Florida loves it and insists we go everytime we visit my family there) is the original Kentucky Fried Chicken, named "Claudia Sanders Dinnerhouse" in Shelbyville, KY. It's on the way to many of the bourbon distilleries. That's about as true Kentucky as you can get, and it's a family-style sit down eatery.

Louisville itself isn't really all that "southern", other than the accent. I grew up in Louisville, and it has much more of a midwestern feel than southern. That changes when you head south of the city though towards all the distilleries.

BBQ is kinda lacking in the area. The Hot Brown is a must do, and the Brown Hotel is a good place for that, but in terms of being close to stuff that tourists would want to do in the area, you'd be better off staying at the Galt House, or 21c Hotel. The Seelbach Hilton, as mentioned above, is also an okay choice, but if you're not really interested in the party scene, there's not a whole lot in that specific area besides the bars and restaurants in the 4th St live zone.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
The first part of OP's question was discussing his bourbon tour plans. The bourbon distilleries have somewhat limited hours so visiting three max is my recommendation. Buffalo trace in Frankfort is a good one as is Woodford reserve just south of Frankfort. Ambiance is quite good at both these locations. Jim beam and heaven hill in Bardstown are fair as is four roses and Wild Turkey a notch below. Some places easily invest in their tours and visuals for visitors.

For BBQ, Louisville has local places that come close to Owensboro. There are and some good places in Lexington. My solid recommendation has been the Shack in the back which is just south of Louisville. I couldn't see driving two hours each way to Owensboro for a BBQ dinner.

For hotels, the Selbach is a nice hotel but its not fun staying there when it's cold out. They have older heating with steam and the Windows are old. But it's centrally located. I like modern amenities and the newer hotels are very comfortable and also centrally located such as the residence inn or towneplace suites. If you're staying in Louisville, makes sense to stay downtown.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The first part of OP's question was discussing his bourbon tour plans. The bourbon distilleries have somewhat limited hours so visiting three max is my recommendation. Buffalo trace in Frankfort is a good one as is Woodford reserve just south of Frankfort. Ambiance is quite good at both these locations. Jim beam and heaven hill in Bardstown are fair as is four roses and Wild Turkey a notch below. Some places easily invest in their tours and visuals for visitors.

For BBQ, Louisville has local places that come close to Owensboro. There are and some good places in Lexington. My solid recommendation has been the Shack in the back which is just south of Louisville. I couldn't see driving two hours each way to Owensboro for a BBQ dinner.

For hotels, the Selbach is a nice hotel but its not fun staying there when it's cold out. They have older heating with steam and the Windows are old. But it's centrally located. I like modern amenities and the newer hotels are very comfortable and also centrally located such as the residence inn or towneplace suites. If you're staying in Louisville, makes sense to stay downtown.
Yes, it is amazing the comments I see on this board. Driving two hours to Owensboro for barbecue? You are pointing people away from one of America's top 20 foodie cities to Owensboro KY? Not so fast my friend!

In Louisville, try these:

Feast Bar B Que...downtown New Albany and Nulu
Smoketown Bar B Que...in slowly gentrifying Smoketown
and of course, Hammerheads. this place has UNREAL barbecue, among the best anywhere

I think Momma's bar B Que is decent in St Matthews, and downtown, Doc Crow's is nice because of the atmosphere and bourbon pairings.

Also downtown, do NOT miss the Evan Williams Bourbon Experience. It should be the starting point for your trip as it gives a history of the city of Louisville and distilling in the area. Check out Museum Row after leaving the Evan Williams tour, and depending on your interests, check out the Ali Museum, Frazier History Museum, Bat Museum, Ky Arts Museum, or many more. Make sure you have lunch at Atlantic No. 5 between museums and get yourself a reservation at Proof for dinner. Be sure to check out the lobby in the 21C hotel behind proof.

Should you choose to eat at Feast Bar B Q in Nulu, stop in after at Louisville Beer Store or Garage Bar for some cocktails. Be sure to get a Tshirt at Why Louisville in Nulu.

In Butchertown, check out the Butchertown Market and Mellwood Arts Center. Lots of cool little artsy shops.

In the Highlands, get a taco at Taco Luchador, kick back a pint on Molly Malone's patio, and dance late night at Nowhere Bar.

In Crescent Hill, check out Bourbon's Bistro after having a dinner at Volare with a live jazz ensemble. Bourbon's have what is reported as the widest bourbon selection of in the ville.

Like ethnic food? See that Louisville's foodie strips continue for MILES by checking out Annie Cafe or Vietnam Kitchen in beechmont followed by coffee at Sunergo's. Or try Cuban in St Matthews, and listen to some live music at Tin Roof followed by a late night martini at 60 West.

There is SO much to do in Louisville I could not even begin to list it all. If you stay downtown, have a late night drink and check out the amazing city views at 8UP, the lounge atop the Hilton Garden Inn.

These tours are kind of cheesy, but I hear they are fun:

Fun Louisville Tours! | by CiTY TASTE TOURS
Louisville City Tours | Mint Julep Tours

Louisville Historic Tours - Visitors (Old Louisville is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods you never heard of...right up there with Savannah or Charleston with less notoriety)

Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
The folks on this forum are foodie experts. Here is a thread on Bar B Q

Louisville Restaurants Forum • View topic - Best Barbeque?

Old 01-15-2015, 05:02 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
ServoMiff said, quote:

Louisville itself isn't really all that "southern", other than the accent. I grew up in Louisville, and it has much more of a midwestern feel than southern. That changes when you head south of the city though towards all the distilleries.

What about heading north and east of Louisville? Trimble, Henry, Shelby, Spencer counties, those are "hardcore Kentucky" areas, rural and very southern, the OP would have a very Ky and southern experience heading out in those areas, its not just south of Louisville.

Louisville is a big city, and like most cities, because of the draw of folks from all over, it's sometimes hard to pinpoint or really narrow down the culture of any one city. Most natives of Louisville I think lean more towards the southern aspect but Louisville does have a touch of the lower midwest I will give you that.

Even so I think the OP will pick up on that while he's there, I am following this thread to find out about some other Louisville locales that I havent visited yet

Old 01-22-2015, 10:08 AM

12 posts, read 25,158 times
Thank you for all the great suggestions, I will definitely check out some of the places mentioned!

Old 01-22-2015, 12:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Weather is usually pleasant by late March, but can also contain heavy rain and even snow. However, you should see the first of spring, which arrives in Louisville about a week earlier than in central Kentucky. So bring your umbrella and water-resistant walking shoes, along with layers of clothes for every day. You're not likely to need your heaviest winter coat, but check the forecast just before your trip to make sure.

If you're visiting the Bourbon Trail, check out Lexington while you're at it: visit the Kentucky (State) Horse Park, Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate, and drive through the thoroughbred horse country - Old Frankfort Pike is a favorite drive for many, as is Ironworks Road, for pristine, manicured pastures bordered by black or white four-board fences and drystone walls, stables that resemble elegant homes, and some of the finest horseflesh on four hooves grazing placidly on brilliant green bluegrass.

If you like barbecue, Billy's Barbecue, on the corner of High Street and Cochran Road in the Chevy Chase shopping center, is considered the best in Lexington, with a unique, laid-back atmosphere and friendly service. If you want a change of menu, try Joe Bologna's for pizza and other Italian pasta dishes, located on Maxwell Avenue in a former synagogue rehabbed into a comfortable restaurant.

Back in Louisville, check out Churchill Downs, the many museums downtown, and perhaps Locust Grove, the historic home of General George Rogers Clark. The Falls of the Ohio Park is accessible from the Indiana side of the river, and consists of the world's largest exposed fossilized coral reef - fascinating, yet little-known place to visit. All of this area was covered by a vast, tropical inland sea eons ago.

Shelbyville and Frankfort are just off of I-64 between Louisville and Lexington, and each is worth a visit, with much to see, particularly in Frankfort, Kentucky's state capitol. If you take the US 60 exit off of I-64 and head into Lexington via Versailles (pronounced "Ver-SALES" locally), you'll see more beautiful bluegrass horse farm country, along with Keeneland Race Course and Castle Post. Yes, it is a castle. Of sorts!

Mammoth Cave National Park is about an hour and a half southwest of Louisville, and is something every American should see at least once. It's the longest cave in the world, and new passages are being continually discovered and added.

There is a lot of free material available through the state's Kentucky Tourism Department, so give them a call, tell them what you have in mind, and see what they'll send you.

Enjoy your visit - you are wise to plan ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area