Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 29,031 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking and stalking the threads for a little while now. You all are quite helpful!

My husband and I (early 30's & 40) will be moving to Louisville at the end of April/beginning of May from Charlotte, NC. We are hoping to be near or in downtown. We'd like to rent at least 2 beds and 2 baths, but would love 3 beds or a 2 bed/den setup. We haven't eliminated the prospect of buying, but it would be a last resort since we're new to the area.

-Where you are working
I'll work from home and the husband will work downtown

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
Preferably no more than $2000 but we're willing to adjust if the place is beyond fabulous

I'd love a great kitchen. I spend plenty of time there and like to enjoy it. So it'd be great if there were deep sinks, gas stove, tall cabinets, tile/hardwood floors, etc. Granite counters are beautiful, but I know other materials can be great on the eyes and offer similar functionality.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
I think up to 10/15 minutes is acceptable for the husband. Since I'll be spending most of my time in the area where we live and his work is the catalyst for the move, the commute isn't the top priority.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We are looking for small city excitement. This is likely our last full year without children AND we're hoping to make it easy for us to meet people and find new places to love. We don't know anyone in Louisville, yet.

-Community amenities important to you
- walk-ability, easy access to a place for cycling and running, safety, character
- I actually prefer that it not be too quiet during the day, I work better with a little background noise
- The husband truly desires easily accessible covered parking and we will have 2 vehicles

-Pie or cake?
- both! (but I'd eat more pie )

What are your suggestions on places to live/areas to check out? We've heard of the Highlands a great deal. NuLu looked quite promising but from what I can tell, most spaces are small (<1000 sq ft). We also plan to look at the apartments at RiverPark. Do you all think the shopping/restaurant/other amenities will be realized there anytime soon?

Also, we'll be in town this weekend to look around. We have a few places lined up to view, but are also interested in learning where we should explore to get to know the city more. For instance, we'd like to attend a church on Sunday (protestant but generally flexible on denomination or lack there of), suggestions for a gym/workout center, best place for dessert (husband has a sweet tooth) and breakfast/brunch (my favorite meal).

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Last edited by coGanjel; 01-15-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:02 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coGanjel View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking and stalking the threads for a little while now. You all are quite helpful!

My husband and I (early 30's & 40) will be moving to Louisville at the end of April/beginning of May from Charlotte, NC. We are hoping to be near or in downtown. We'd like to rent at least 2 beds and 2 baths, but would love 3 beds or a 2 bed/den setup. We haven't eliminated the prospect of buying, but it would be a last resort since we're new to the area.

-Where you are working
I'll work from home and the husband will work downtown

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
Preferably no more than $2000 but we're willing to adjust if the place is beyond fabulous

I'd love a great kitchen. I spend plenty of time there and like to enjoy it. So it'd be great if there were deep sinks, gas stove, tall cabinets, tile/hardwood floors, etc. Granite counters are beautiful, but I know other materials can be great on the eyes and offer similar functionality.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
I think up to 10/15 minutes is acceptable for the husband. Since I'll be spending most of my time in the area where we live and his work is the catalyst for the move, the commute isn't the top priority.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We are looking for small city excitement. This is likely our last full year without children AND we're hoping to make it easy for us to meet people and find new places to love. We don't know anyone in Louisville, yet.

-Community amenities important to you
- walk-ability, easy access to a place for cycling and running, safety, character
- I actually prefer that it not be too quiet during the day, I work better with a little background noise
- The husband truly desires easily accessible covered parking and we will have 2 vehicles

-Pie or cake?
- both! (but I'd eat more pie )

What are your suggestions on places to live/areas to check out? We've heard of the Highlands a great deal. NuLu looked quite promising but from what I can tell, most spaces are small (<1000 sq ft). We also plan to look at the apartments at RiverPark. Do you all think the shopping/restaurant/other amenities will be realized there anytime soon?

Also, we'll be in town this weekend to look around. We have a few places lined up to view, but are also interested in learning where we should explore to get to know the city more. For instance, we'd like to attend a church on Sunday (protestant but generally flexible on denomination or lack there of), suggestions for a gym/workout center, best place for dessert (husband has a sweet tooth) and breakfast/brunch (my favorite meal).

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Go with any from City Properties...you will LOVE Whiskey Row lofts...in middle of action and soon to be home to many more restaurants nearby, at least 3 new hotels in 2 blocks around it, a new grocery 2 blocks south by 2018, and a new bourbon museum/distiller attraction.

Also check waterside at River Park Place. More serene but only mins from every cool hood in the ville and you can watch the other condo and apartment towers go up and decide if you want to stay...

New2Lou

Old 01-16-2015, 12:05 PM

68 posts, read 106,411 times
Thanks for being so specific! And welcome (ahead of time)!

Lots happening in downtown Louisville. The city core is seeing the biggest revitalization in modern history (or ever). The best thing is, its from the ground up and utilizes what's already there.

You guys are young without kids. The new lofts opening up should be very suitable. Great access lots of stuff on foot, like NuLu and such. Right outside downtown, take a look at the Clifton and Crescent Hill neighborhoods. They lie just east of downtown and are very pedestrian and bike friendly. $2000 rent should get you what you're looking for in both areas.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:57 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
I was going to say the Highlands as well. Quick drive down Bardstown to Broadway. Great area with lots of life.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 PM

242 posts, read 402,745 times
How did your visit go? What did you find that you liked/disliked?

We may people to point you some more Ideas based on your first impressions.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
I think I'm too late to the game, but I hope you checked out The Highlands and NuLu. Definitely the best areas to be young and fun in. For breakfast, I love Toast on Market in NuLu.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:25 PM

Default Productive (& Delicious) visit

@Peter1948 - I missed the grocer-to-be near Whisky Row. What's the name of it? Also, are there farmer's markets in the area?

Thanks for the feedback and checking in.

Our visit was very productive. We know where we'd like to live and we're just waiting until closer to the job start date to make a move. Its just a matter of a unit being available when we're ready.

With a Realtor, we considered properties in NuLu, Highlands, Cherokee Park, and downtown and drove around each of these areas. We saw units in the Gallery Square Lofts, 310 at NuLu, Mockingbird Valley/Mockingbird Terrace, Fleur de Lis, and Waterside at River Park Place. We liked elements of each one. We concluded that we wanted to be downtown for now. Since connected covered parking and square footage were such priorities, we honed in on the Fleur de Lis. There were many places that had very appealing living spaces but parking didn't meet our needs. We sure loved NuLu and suspect we'll make plenty of visits there and to the Highlands.

We met a number of nice and helpful people in just the 2 days we were out and about. Louisville certainly has some southern hospitality. Interestingly enough, the night we arrived, we met a couple who'd recently moved from NYC and got a transplant's perspective. It was a perfect beginning to the trip. We also got to attend a church service while there. Since returning, the Pastor has reached out to us.

We dined at Harvest, Mayan Cafe, Proof on Main (2nd time), Tacqueria Lucidero, Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen, and Please & Thank You. We had to give our bellies a tour as well.

Thanks again for the help. Sooner or later I suspect I'll be polling for salon/Dr/gym/things to do suggestions.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:59 PM

242 posts, read 402,745 times
Glad to hear that you had a good visit and enjoyed Louisville. Keep us informed of your moving plans so we can keep you updated on change is underway in the city, especially with the bridges project going on things downtown are changing every day! Look forward to seeing you after your move.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Glad to hear that you had a good visit and enjoyed Louisville. Keep us informed of your moving plans so we can keep you updated on change is underway in the city, especially with the bridges project going on things downtown are changing every day! Look forward to seeing you after your move.
Downtown has, at my count, over 15 tower cranes. Louisville is truly in a boom. Now if we can just break ground on the 30 story Omni hotel and grocery soon...

Old 02-05-2015, 01:24 PM

Ahh so the grocer is on its way but further out in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area