U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,051 times

Advertisements

Is there a website to find out where the First Friday events will be each month? I always seem to miss the radio adds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 23,376 times
Default First Friday

I would try Home | LEO Weekly it is usually up to date with the Trolley Hops and other things going on around town. Your may also want to try Louisville Mojo: Louisville Personals, Events, Louisville Classifieds, Blogs, Forums & Chat... For Free!. Both of these sites have been helpful in the past when making my own weekend plan. Hope that helps!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:20 PM

6,975 posts, read 15,104,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPNOUT View Post
Is there a website to find out where the First Friday events will be each month? I always seem to miss the radio adds.
Here is a post I made awhile back about to a young professional relocating to Crescent Hill off Frankfort Avenue that may be of use to you:

First Friday Gallery/Trolley Hop

The east end isnt ALL old people Age is in how you feel! Anywho, lower Brownsboro road itself may be pretty bland..fast foods and gas stations (oh and the 24 hour hole breakfast place Norma Jean's)... There are some treasures on Bronwsboro, though. I found a place called Chicago Gyro and a nice Jamaican restaurant on that road.....so I am guessing this is where you will live, in Clifton Heights on Brownsboro Road:

Clifton...ts, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The good news is within a mile you have dozens of very cool and even high end restuarants. Also, for whatever reason, many students live near Zorn and River Road, in that vicinity. The Frankfort avenue area is lined with quaint little shops and antique stores. This area is known as Clifton at its northern terminus, and Crescent Hill at its southern end near Cannons Lane.

If you are in Clifton Heights, you are really only a few blocks from cool stuff on Frankfort. Frankfort is really more "quaint" than "happening," but its charm and chill atmosphere can rub off on you. There is also a good percentage of young, educated people around.

As a poster above noted, Clifton has indeed become quite trendy, especially for what I call the "creative class." This area is home to a high concentration of artists and even eclectic empty nesters. There is also a pretty diverse populatation in Clifton Heights, which is around 30% minority. There are more single family homes in the Crescent Hill area.

The FAT Friday Gallery hop is a cool event held the last Friday of every month:

F.A.T. Friday Hop (http://www.fatfridayhop.org/map.html - broken link)

Its where the chronically uneducated products of the Louisville public school system like myself pretend like we know about art and culture (and meet lots of friendly folks!)

I can recommend almost any place on the aforementioned FAT Friday list, and there are others. For casually priced but yummy fare for the post college grad, try Shiraz Meditteranean Grill, Maido sushi, and el Mundo. Heine brothers coffee rocks, and so does Carmichael's bookstore. If you have a hot date and can afford it, try somewhere like Volare or the newly opened Vietnamese/French fusion restauarant, Basa. Bourbon's Bistro and Irish Rover draw a 30 something crown for after work cocktails.

Ineveitably, you will discover the "disney land" downtown known as Fourth Street Live. A lot of post college grads go to Felt and Sullys, especially on Saturdays. There is also a First Friday Gallery Hop downtown, which can be pretty good and is centered around free wine at Red Tree:

First Friday Gallery/Trolley Hop

UofL basketball and football games are fun, even if you are not a fan. Also, this summer, try attending a Thursday happy hour at the Louisville Bats stadium outfield from 530-7. It always attracks a young crowd. You will even have a view of our decrepid bridge, and my home, downtown (I live in one of the towers downtown).

Soon enough, you will discover the Highlands and Bardstown road, and bars like Molly Malone's or Flanagan's (actually in the 900 block of Baxter Ave). This strip, along with Cherokee park, are my favorite parts of the city. Further down Frankfort from you, you get into St Matthews, which has its own little thriving "downtown" area with a few bars, several restaurants, and a pool hall, and 2 nice malls and a Whole Foods further out--all only about 10 minutes from where you will live.

Those are sort of the highlights, if you will, but there is of course much more to do around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area