Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:23 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times

Advertisements

I have heard this claim about every city in the region Cincinnati, Indy, Lexington and Louisville and Columbus. Lexington can be similar to this claim in regards to making friends, people are friendly here but not as welcoming as other cities I have lived in. I really like Nashville and Atlanta better as cities because they have a lot of locals and a lot of transplants who its a better mix of people. I am moving to Nashville, I just like TN better than Kentucky even thou I will miss UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I have heard this claim about every city in the region Cincinnati, Indy, Lexington and Louisville and Columbus. Lexington can be similar to this claim in regards to making friends, people are friendly here but not as welcoming as other cities I have lived in. I really like Nashville and Atlanta better as cities because they have a lot of locals and a lot of transplants who its a better mix of people. I am moving to Nashville, I just like TN better than Kentucky even thou I will miss UK.
Can't be a traitor to Kentucky and be a UK fan still...

Moving to Tennessee is almost as bad as even worse still .....moving to "Indiana!!"

Old 03-13-2015, 02:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Can't be a traitor to Kentucky and be a UK fan still...

Moving to Tennessee is almost as bad as even worse still .....moving to "Indiana!!"
UK has a lot of fans in TN, look at the SEC Tourney in Nashville its all UK fans down here in Nashville.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:12 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
From my experience people have a compatibility with cities just like they do with other people. I make more friends in Louisville in a month than I did in Lexington in 8 years, and I don't hate Lexington it's just not as good for me. Some of my experiences in school or even at jobs there were straight out of hell, but I will never tell anyone not to move there because of MY experience because THEY may love it. Strangely I also really click with Cincinnati people even though I find most people there to be sour faced and uptight on periodic visits. I was born there though.
Census is on to something here. I have lived in/near all three cities. Some cities you click with, some you don't.

I'll be honest--and I won't complain about Louisville like I have previously ad nauseum: Out here in California, whenever I tell people I'm from Kentucky, I often get asked, "Oh, from Louisville?" Or, someone says, "my relative is from Louisville." Louisville is the 800 lb. gorilla in the state, with the metropolitan area containing nearly 20% of the state's population. In fact, the pizza in my house right now is...Papa John's. A Louisville company. Furthermore, on my last visit to the city in December, I saw some remarkable improvements going on in the city with regards to its downtown "urban fabric," restaurants, and even just general appeal. While I wouldn't live there again and have long, long since any serious contact with what few friends I made while I lived there, I also "get" the city more now than when I lived there.

Lexington: UKWildcat1981 called it friendly, but not welcoming. Sounds about right. There are size differences between the cities of Lexington, Nicholasville, and Winchester, for example, but there are not dramatic differences in types of people you can meet in the different towns in the metropolitan area. It's all a bunch of 24/7/365 UK rabid mania (kidding...kind of...well, not kidding). Lexington really is more culturally connected with Appalachia in some ways, in that Lexington and Appalachia both have their own variations of a sort of "trust but verify" cultural overtone.

Cincinnati: I made far more friends in Cincinnati in the two years I lived there than I did in the nine months I lived in Louisville and three years I continued to commute into Louisville. (Okay, I technically was in northern Kentucky, but whatever...) I also made about as many friends in Cincinnati as I did in 15+ years growing up in the Lexington area. However, I keep in touch with the Cincinnati folks far more, even several years after I've left. The people you meet in Madeira, West Chester, and Northern Kentucky are very similar; while the suburbs have a different feel than old city Cincinnati, most people just call themselves "Cincinnatians" regardless. (Yes, more Northern Kentuckians do it than you might think or want to admit.) Cincinnati is a very unusual (don't mean this in a negative way) cultural blend of Appalachia and the lower Midwest.

California metropolises are a whole other complexity of tapestries. "Oh, I don't like San Francisco," some might say. Guess what? I'm actually not a huge fan, either, as I found out when I lived in the Bay Area. Oakland has more down to earth people, Fremont has great Afghan food, Redwood City isn't as "stuffy" as some wealthier cities in Silicon Valley, and Half Moon Bay is heaven on Earth. Bay Area people aren't the friendliest in the world, but the ones I connected with, I really connected with and found genuinely friendly. This would be quasi-similar to New England, I suppose--not particularly welcoming, but when you're "in," you're really in! Customer service is also generally good in the area, despite the friendly/rude mix of clientele. However, that said, the rude ones were genuinely rude (yeah, grumpy, hipster, fresh outta Stanford tech worker in San Francisco, I'm talking to you). I'd live there again, but I also know how to navigate the social climate of the area somewhat.

Comparisons can be made about Los Angeles, where Downtown L.A., Alhambra, and Venice are all dramatically different, and Orange County, where Irvine, Balboa Island, and Fullerton are also very different. Now, the L.A. and O.C. crowds might universally just tell you they are "from L.A.," but "L.A." is not all the same. At all. The vibe is a little "sunnier," literally and figuratively in these areas, but then people are also flakier. As a transplant, you WILL initiate more contact with SoCal natives or long-timers than the reverse, but said natives and long-timers also respond positively most of the time.

I'm in the process of moving from L.A. to San Diego, and San Diego does actually have more cultural "sameness," akin to but not on the same level as what can be found in Louisville, Lexington, and Cincinnati. Still, with said cultural "sameness," there is effectively a general/"gluing" sort of vibe or cultural that unites the whole metropolitan area. Talk to a self-identified "San Diegan" from Pacific Beach, Imperial Beach, or Encinitas; three distinct locales, but the San Diego "feel" and "we're from San Diego-ness" are there all the same.

NOTE: I am very sick and light-headed as I type this. I hope there are no ridiculously glaring typos or stupid statements.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-13-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
As someone involved in the arts, visual and music, but also work with boring old people in one of the oldest, most established business's in Kentucky, I am around a wide variety of people all the time. From younger artists and musicians, to politicians even . . . 20's to 70's. Im in my 50's. I would opine that the younger people might have "cliques", but thats the way it is in any city. I came here as a hated interlopin' Northerner and fit right in, immediately. It's one of the reasons we decided to settle here. Everyone was sooo friendly and welcoming. So, from a krusty old persons point of view, the cliquishness I have seen is what you will find in any city among 20-30 age groups. I would also say that just getting involved in lots of cultural events you will meet people who you have lots in common with.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Census is on to something here. I have lived in/near all three cities. Some cities you click with, some you don't.

NOTE: I am very sick and light-headed as I type this. I hope there are no ridiculously glaring typos or stupid statements.
Post sick more often!!! Nice informative, well written post! A very welcome contrast to all the "anti" stuff . . .

Ok, srsly ~ just kidding! I hope you feel better soon . . .

Old 03-16-2015, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 12,134 times
I don't think it's so much the matter of making friends as living there. Louisville is very provencial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area