U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM

16 posts, read 93,339 times

Advertisements

Is this something that Louisville is thinking of doing or has done? curious?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbackus123 View Post
Is this something that Louisville is thinking of doing or has done? curious?!
Long story short: Louisville had a smoking ban in place that was successful for the past year. In December of 2007, a judge overturned the ban due to some unconstitutional clauses including an exception for smoking at Churchill Downs. The ban was repassed last week and now is a comprehensive smoking ban that basically says no smoking indoors ANYWHERE except your own home. We will see if it gets turned down again as Louisville joins a group of cities with the strictest smoking bans in America. Many bars and a few restaurants are lobbying to allow smoking in a separately ventilated room.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 AM

473 posts, read 992,971 times
So THAT'S the reason people were smoking in the clubs on New Year's Eve. I live in Nashville but visited Louisville with some friends for New Years and we all wondered why all of the clubs we visited were smoke-filled. I'm glad to know that it was repassed or else I doubt I would ever go back.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
So THAT'S the reason people were smoking in the clubs on New Year's Eve. I live in Nashville but visited Louisville with some friends for New Years and we all wondered why all of the clubs we visited were smoke-filled. I'm glad to know that it was repassed or else I doubt I would ever go back.
I was last in Nashville this summer, and people were smoking in bars. Unless it has changed, the law there is that you can't smoke anywhere but bars...so you shouldn't have noticed a difference in Louisville at all. Furthermore, Nashville passed its original smoking ban well after Louisville. If it stands, Louisville's ban will be among the strictest in the country (which is ironic considering its state is among the most liberal in allowing smoking anywhere).

List of smoking bans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This wiki list is very accurate for the Ky cities. I cannot vouch for the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area