U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,962 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are very excited to be relocating to Louisville this spring. We are in our 40’s with young kids, creative, active and college-educated. In Chicago, we enjoy being able to walk to parks, coffee, or a local pie shop. We can spend 350,000 -550,000 on a home. My husband will be working downtown, but we’re flexible on the commute. He would love to be able to ride a bike (do people do that safely?), but in a car, a commute could be up to 30 minutes. We’re also flexible on public or private schools, knowing it might depend on where we buy.

From this forum and real-estate searches, we prioritized seeing houses in what I think is called the Highlands area. We found it charming, but a bit confusing -is "the Highlands" all the multiple neighborhoods around the park? What are the main differences between the specific neighborhoods_ Tyler Park, Deer Park, Seneca Gardens, Cherokee Gardens, etc? What are trade-offs that only a local knows? How are the public schools in that area, and which nearby private schools do people prefer?

Are there other areas we should explore? I’ve searched Oldham County because people recommended that school system. I find only newer developments, but we would still prefer an older subdivision or neighborhood with maybe a little street of shops, a post office, restaurants. Any suggestions? (I do know about Norton Commons.)

Lastly, what are the "weekend getaway" places where people drive less than 90 minutes to rent a cottage or the like and go swimming or hiking?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 03:33 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,188,235 times
Hi Tryshi,
We live in the Highlands, and my Wife is an administrator in the Oldham school district. I spend a lot of time out there in school events etc . . . My opinion is, The Highlands might be the best neighborhood in the world!!! ha ha , really, we love it!
Art, food, walkable, fantastic architecture, unique and eccentric people on every block. There is absolutely no other place to live!! Oldham is nice too, but its very different. Its sleepy suburbia that you need a car to function in. the people are certainly nice, the schools are the best in the state, but again, its a quiet suburban lifestyle. If that appeals to you, than you will love it there. The schools are point of constant battle on this forum. Im of the opinion that Oldham has better schools overall. Stats back that up. Jefferson has some good schools, but it is not easy to make sure your child gets in one. Lots of people will correct me, and tell you Jeff has great schools, but I stand by what I said. I am biased of course.

Here lies the conundrum. . . Do you live in the greatest neighborhood ever, and risk a less-than-great school, or do you get the great school, but live a car oriented, suburban lifestyle?? It's all good, only you will be able to prioritize. Oh yeah, loads of weekend get-a-ways within the 90 minute timeframe! Hopefully you'll make it here and check it all out.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 PM

797 posts, read 2,187,544 times
Check out the areas along Frankfort and Brownsboro on the near east side of downtown. Lots of great shops, restaurants, coffee, etc without as much of the hassle of The Highlands. The Highlands basically span the areas along either side of Bardstown Rd from Lexington Rd southeast to around Taylorsville road. It's a neat area, but Bardstown Rd gets very congested and people clog the side streets in residential neighborhoods like Deer Park and Tyler Park trying to park and get to places. It would be very frustrating to me to live there. Why deal with the hassle and higher home prices when you can live 5-10 minutes away for much cheaper? Public schools in the area can be a little tricky, but there are good private options (Trinity, etc) if you are willing to pay for them.

Louisville has been adding a lot more bike lanes. Check the city website. They have a good map there for all the routes. It's fairly easy to ride through the parks and along Beargrass Creek Greenway plus some surface streets to get into downtown from the near east side You might look into Old Louisville as well. You could get a nice place in your price range. It's centrally located, great to walk around in, has Central Park which is smaller than Cherokee but still nice, and is a straight shot on designated bike lanes only a few miles to downtown. You might check out downtown New Albany, IN as well. There's a lot of good stuff happening there with the downtown, several new parks are in the works, the YMCA is great, you've got a farmer's market, concerts, etc. It's possible to bike into downtown from there, but longer and maybe not feasible on a regular basis for now. It might become easier once they finish a few more sections of the Ohio River Greenway though. It's 10-15 minutes from downtown NA to downtown Louisville tops.

It doesn't sound like Oldham County or other outer areas are going to be for you, especially if you are wanting to stay in a 30 minute window to downtown and want all the walkability and parks. Just saying.

For 'weekend getaways' within about 90 minutes: Orange County and specifically French Lick, IN (French Lick Resort | French Lick Resort) is about an hour. There are cabins there at Patoka Lake if you didn't want to stay at the resort or there are a few cabins at Paoli Peaks if you wanted to go to a smaller ski hill in the winter. The dome in West Baden is truly an amazing place. One of the coolest hotels in the country. Brown County in Indiana (Brown County Indiana Convention & Visitors Bureau) is right about 90 minutes from downtown and is very popular for the state park and fall colors though I don't think as many people from down here head up there. You should definitely look into it though. There are some nicer cabins in that area or the Story Inn is really neat (Story Inn | Brown County Indiana Bed and Breakfast). Taylorsville and Taylorsville Lake seem to be kind of popular. Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park would be another good place to get a cabin and hike. Madison, IN is also about an hour away and has a fantastic state park where you can stay and hike. Plus they have a good blues festival in the summer and their downtown is extremely historic with a lot of great local places (VisitMadison | Historic Rivertown in Indiana, Antiques, Wineries, Bed and Breakfasts | Main street Indiana)

Old 03-21-2015, 11:39 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,975,625 times
I would definitely recommend the Highlands. Especially if your kids are creative. That's a very artsy area and a great place to live. You'll be close to multiple great parks(Cherokee,Seneca,etc...).

A ton of places to eat and shop as well. Riding a bike from the Highlands to downtown isn't impossible, it'll be a little of ride. The highlands and downtown are definitely bike friendly though. Also with your budget, you'll be able to find many amazing homes.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:32 PM

Thanks for your responses to my long rambling post; it's great to hear affirmation that the Highlands is a good fit, and we will explore the other areas suggested when we head down again. Also appreciate the summer weekend suggestions, that will help us transition through the move with the kids

Old 03-23-2015, 12:04 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,379,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryshi View Post
Hello!

We are very excited to be relocating to Louisville this spring. We are in our 40’s with young kids, creative, active and college-educated. In Chicago, we enjoy being able to walk to parks, coffee, or a local pie shop. We can spend 350,000 -550,000 on a home. My husband will be working downtown, but we’re flexible on the commute. He would love to be able to ride a bike (do people do that safely?), but in a car, a commute could be up to 30 minutes. We’re also flexible on public or private schools, knowing it might depend on where we buy.

From this forum and real-estate searches, we prioritized seeing houses in what I think is called the Highlands area. We found it charming, but a bit confusing -is "the Highlands" all the multiple neighborhoods around the park? What are the main differences between the specific neighborhoods_ Tyler Park, Deer Park, Seneca Gardens, Cherokee Gardens, etc? What are trade-offs that only a local knows? How are the public schools in that area, and which nearby private schools do people prefer?

Are there other areas we should explore? I’ve searched Oldham County because people recommended that school system. I find only newer developments, but we would still prefer an older subdivision or neighborhood with maybe a little street of shops, a post office, restaurants. Any suggestions? (I do know about Norton Commons.)

Lastly, what are the "weekend getaway" places where people drive less than 90 minutes to rent a cottage or the like and go swimming or hiking?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
do NOT go to Oldham. There are lots of transplants but you will feel out of place. The Highlands is just what you are used to. Think Andersonville or parts of Lakeview with a bit of a southern vibe. TONS of AWESOME restaurants, walkable grocery stores, movie theatre, convenience stores, boutique retail and clothing, wine and pet care shops, and just a whole lot of cool outdoor patios where people sit and have some food food or drinks after walking their dog. Oh, and did I mention one of the most beautiful parks anywhere in Cherokee Park?

You will also need to look at Clifton, or more probably, Crescent Hill and St Matthews. These are great family friendly areas with great return on home investment. The Highlands is the "Lincoln Park" of Louisville and Crescent Hill is more like, I dunno, "Old Town" or "bucktown"

Oldham County is great and is much bigger than you think with great schools, but it will feel way too rural for you even though it has a decent population now. If you used the JCPS school finder, you shoouldnt run into too many issues, and if you do, the private schools in the city are AMAZING (not only catholic schools but also the Highlands Latin school is where my kids will start soon). You saying you are looking at Highlands vs Oldham is like me moving back to Chicago and saying its Lincoln Park vs Lake County. There is just no comparison as it is apples to oranges.

Just look in 40205, 40206, and 40207 zips. You cannot go wrong anywhere in there. 40204 is an option too, but this is going to be more like Wicker Park. A safe area, but more young single professionals than families, but there are some outstanding homes on streets like Longest, Glenmary, Cherokee, and Everett.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 AM

Peter1948, Thank you! It is great to hear such concrete comparisons to Chicago and the zip codes are an enormous help. I think you are right and we will stay right around that amazing Cherokee Park. It's good to know that the other side is also nice, just a different feel. My husband and I are not yet in total agreement about the amount of house/land and walkability we need, but there seems to be enough variation around there that we can find a good fit. Also comforted to hear someone call the schools amazing!

Thanks too for your thoughts on Oldham County. Having grown up in Virginia, what I had expected to find was a few small, quaint, towns with vibrant centers, then a neighborhood ring with generous lots leading into truly rural areas. What surprised me is that it seems everything there has been built in the past 25-30 years. Maybe the development process was just entirely different...

Old 03-23-2015, 02:29 PM

236 posts, read 282,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryshi View Post

Thanks too for your thoughts on Oldham County. Having grown up in Virginia, what I had expected to find was a few small, quaint, towns with vibrant centers, then a neighborhood ring with generous lots leading into truly rural areas. What surprised me is that it seems everything there has been built in the past 25-30 years. Maybe the development process was just entirely different...
I had the same experience, except in reverse! Since spending my whole life in Louisville or within 2 hours of it I've been stunned by all the awesome small Main St.'s stuck in the middle of the suburbs in the East Coast. You won't find many of those types of places (intact at least) in Louisville/Indy/Nashville.

Oldham County does have good schools and access to shopping. But if you're looking to bike and walk places it's a nonstarter.

Locals do tend to blend all the neighborhoods around Bardstown Rd into the Highlands. From what you've described I'd recommend somewhere in the Highlands or off of Frankfort Ave.

The city is can be very walkable and bikable, but be forewarned that Louisville is primarily a car town. People tend to stare in disbelief when you talk about walking or biking to a location. There is ample parking everywhere so it does make sense.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 PM

5,592 posts, read 6,229,814 times
The highlands has some great areas such as Seneca but houses right off Bardstown have more petty crime and noisy fallout from the bar scene. The area is large enough to find the areas that are desired, especially at that price range.

I'd do more school research. On the east end in Middletown, it's natural to get a fairly decent high school in middletown. Bardstown may be different. Often parents are surprised when the poor school their kids get fed into after a good middle school. The best high schools and the worst high schools are in Louisville. The school district likes to bus kids, even if to equally performing high schools, which can be frustrating.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 AM

Thanks everybody. We went down to visit again this weekend and love the Highlands areas, and see some amazing houses in Tyler Park. I will do more research about the schools, but I feel like we found the right area. Appreciate all the info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area