Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 AM

9 posts, read 10,066 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female in my late 20's and a medical professional. I will be moving from Lexington, where I've lived my entire life to Louisville in about 2 months.

Where are you working?

Norton Audobon Hospital

How Much are You willing to spend on Housing?

Maximum of $1500 including utilities, willing to go up another $200-300 for the perfect place. 1-2 bedrooms. My issue is here….I'm extremely picky about bathrooms, kitchens, and flooring. I hate gross carpet and would prefer hardwood throughout. The Bathroom and kitchen need to have tile or hardwood and need to be updated and modern, preferably with black or stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops.

How long of a commute?

Up to 45 minutes

No Kids, don't care about schools

Neighborhood Environment?

Something urban-like but very safe. Lots of local restuarants, bars, and ways to meet other singles. I love Farmers' Markets and places to get fresh baked goods. I'd love to be within walking distance of a great bar with live music too. I'd also prefer to live close to a good yoga, pilates, or pure barre studio. I'd also like to be close to a park as I plan on getting a dog soon.

Cake or Pie Cake, but brownies if you have it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Norton Audubon is in a good safe area north of the zoo. It's just a couple miles from the Highlands area, which is safe and loaded with restaurants and shops. Bardstown Rd is literally 3 miles of urban shopping and eating with great Victorian housing stock. Mostly apartment houses with a few complexes. You should have no trouble finding something in your price range. A bit further north the Frankfort Ave corridor is really nice as well, it's like a smaller version of the Highlands.

There are a lot of transplants from Lexington to Louisville and vice versa. I lived in Lexington from ages 11 to 19 and have mostly lived in Louisville since. I think of Louisville as a larger and more industrial version of Lexington.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldavi2 View Post
I'm a single female in my late 20's and a medical professional. I will be moving from Lexington, where I've lived my entire life to Louisville in about 2 months.

Where are you working?

Norton Audobon Hospital

How Much are You willing to spend on Housing?

Maximum of $1500 including utilities, willing to go up another $200-300 for the perfect place. 1-2 bedrooms. My issue is here….I'm extremely picky about bathrooms, kitchens, and flooring. I hate gross carpet and would prefer hardwood throughout. The Bathroom and kitchen need to have tile or hardwood and need to be updated and modern, preferably with black or stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops.

How long of a commute?

Up to 45 minutes

No Kids, don't care about schools

Neighborhood Environment?

Something urban-like but very safe. Lots of local restuarants, bars, and ways to meet other singles. I love Farmers' Markets and places to get fresh baked goods. I'd love to be within walking distance of a great bar with live music too. I'd also prefer to live close to a good yoga, pilates, or pure barre studio. I'd also like to be close to a park as I plan on getting a dog soon.

Cake or Pie Cake, but brownies if you have it!
Highlands. Live near Cherokee Park in Cherokee Triangle. Louisville is substantially larger,more interesting, more diverse, and has better everything than Lexington. IMO its the only place to even consider being single in KY. Welcome!

Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 PM

24 posts, read 29,370 times
I think Lville is a larger and more industrial version of Lex? OUCH! I guess I'd ask why one would move to Lville after being in Lex, and that would distinguish the difference there. For one, everyone bleeds blue, mentality of those kids alone is a huge separation factor (lol). Peter hit it on the head. Louisville, as a whole, and ESP in Highlands Frankfort ave corridors, much more artsy fartsy, bohemian than well, you get the pt. Lex is rural, Louisville is more diverse. Yes, Highlands will def fit your budget you'll be just fine anywhere. And Frankfort ave area is a little less "trendy" and smaller in size and options, not million dollar victorian houses next to the park, with apts sprinkled all around. But is def cheaper, and you won't have your car window ripped off or puked on by a drunk driver coming out of all those bars. Yea, sounds cool, being in the center of it all, but you'll find that you get bored walking to those bars, and maybe even unsafe, dep on your street smarts. Actually my friend, who takes no sh, was walking home the other night and missed 2wks work bc he was jumped, and had to get new teeth! Frankfort area, esp as you get towards St Matts, has all those yoga studios, independent eateries also. And in Lville, everything is 15 min from everything, so choose anything else over proximity

Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 AM

9 posts, read 10,066 times
Thanks! I've been looking online a lot and have been to Lville about 5 times in the past two weeks for work, and I've noticed that the "trendy" areas only have older construction. What areas have never construction condos/apartments/townhomes that are still close enough drive to places someone my age might frequent. Also Lexington may be a little smaller than Louisville but i've NEVER heard anyone refer to it as rural….that's hilarious, we are a small but growing CITY. And you're right, I will bleed blue until I die..CATS!

Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 AM

236 posts, read 319,160 times
Quote:
Thanks! I've been looking online a lot and have been to Lville about 5 times in the past two weeks for work, and I've noticed that the "trendy" areas only have older construction. What areas have never construction condos/apartments/townhomes that are still close enough drive to places someone my age might frequent. Also Lexington may be a little smaller than Louisville but i've NEVER heard anyone refer to it as rural….that's hilarious, we are a small but growing CITY. And you're right, I will bleed blue until I die..CATS!
The established trendy spots nationwide are almost always in areas with older construction. Most older areas are more walkable than newer areas. Factor in walkability with lot sizes with small frontages which more readily allow for small business and you get a trendy neighborhood. You're not going to find alot of newer construction near many established trendy neighborhoods in the Midwest/South. That doesn't mean however that there aren't tons of newly renovated or furnished apartments/condos in historic buidlings. Louisville is going to have more historic buidlings with new furnishings than Lexington.

Outside of NULU, I can't think of an area in the Louisville Metro area that is experiencing infill (new construction) that is in a walkable area. Check it out and see what you think. It is newly gentrifying though so it may not be what you're looking for. If a new building are more improtant to you than being able to walk places there are some areas in the East End with a similar feel to parts of New Circle Road.

As a side note, you'll find plenty of UK fans and bars to watch UK games in the area. The city is split about 65/35 with there being more UofL fans, but there are plenty of UK fans in the area.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
If you newer upscale apartments then you should look around St Matthews and maybe Lyndon rather than the Highlands

Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
The established trendy spots nationwide are almost always in areas with older construction. Most older areas are more walkable than newer areas. Factor in walkability with lot sizes with small frontages which more readily allow for small business and you get a trendy neighborhood. You're not going to find alot of newer construction near many established trendy neighborhoods in the Midwest/South. That doesn't mean however that there aren't tons of newly renovated or furnished apartments/condos in historic buidlings. Louisville is going to have more historic buidlings with new furnishings than Lexington.

Outside of NULU, I can't think of an area in the Louisville Metro area that is experiencing infill (new construction) that is in a walkable area. Check it out and see what you think. It is newly gentrifying though so it may not be what you're looking for. If a new building are more improtant to you than being able to walk places there are some areas in the East End with a similar feel to parts of New Circle Road.

As a side note, you'll find plenty of UK fans and bars to watch UK games in the area. The city is split about 65/35 with there being more UofL fans, but there are plenty of UK fans in the area.
Huh? There is infill in every single urban and inner suburban area. Not all of it is new concretion (many is historic rehab), but much of it IS new construction.

I won't refute you on every claim, but there are new apartment projects currently under construction downtown, old louisville, nulu, germantown, Highlands, Clifton, even Crescent Hill and St matthews and newer burbs like Norton Commons plus old areas like downtown new albany and jeff. Follow insiderlouisivlle for a couple years and you will see updates on all this. There is just too much to post with the recent boom.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 PM

115 posts, read 146,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Huh? There is infill in every single urban and inner suburban area. Not all of it is new concretion (many is historic rehab), but much of it IS new construction.

I won't refute you on every claim, but there are new apartment projects currently under construction downtown, old louisville, nulu, germantown, Highlands, Clifton, even Crescent Hill and St matthews and newer burbs like Norton Commons plus old areas like downtown new albany and jeff. Follow insiderlouisivlle for a couple years and you will see updates on all this. There is just too much to post with the recent boom.
yea I agree with this. There isn't a ton because louisville isn't that large, but there are several new apartment buildings in clifton or the highlands, which is probably where you would want to be. Even germantown will have the germantown mill lofts by the end of 2015 which should be awesome. You just might have to look around a bit harder and be patient, and it seems like they don't always advertise on craigslist.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:

If you want new construction in the city, there are TONS of new units coming online in the next two years. For now, I really like waterside at river park place. That area is going to be great as the restaurants open and the condo towers go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area