Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:14 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times

Advertisements

Hi, fiancé and I are considering moving to Louisville from Conneticut. We plan to move down in a year. Saving up $6,000 looking to find place to rent hopefully find work in two month's.

Curious on areas to look in the Louisville area?
How are job openings for am EMT and a LPN/LVN?
Is pay enough to live off down south?

Any recommendations for colleges in the Louisville area for nursing?

How would someone up North be taken in the area?

Any good outdoor opportunities?

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 07:42 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Louisville is a gumbo of Midwestern and Southern culture and there isn't a lot of "anti Yankee resentment". Accents, political views, and religious views vary widely even among natives. Transplants from outside the area tend to settle most heavily in the eastern half of the city, especially the areas along I-64 and I-71 east of downtown. EMT and any nursing jobs are always in high demand here. I'd guess the pay for either is at least $30k per year starting out with a very low cost of living but I'm not an expert on those fields. My mother in law makes $50k per year as an RN in a small town in Indiana, but insurance is a lot higher than for office jobs. But given the cost of schooling is low it's a good economic move.

Louisville area has as good outdoor recreation opportunities as any city I've seen not near large mountains or an ocean. Park system here is extensive both in the city and within an hour drive. Lots of hiking options in the forested hills just outside the city, probably over 100 miles of trails. Indiana has one trail that alone is 50 miles. Bernheim Forest near Bardstown, Jefferson Memorial Forest, and the newly built Parklands of Floyds Fork have hiking, fishing, and horse trails too. Looping the city is a bike trail that is about half complete, it will someday circle the entire city, about 40 miles(?) are complete in the west and east parts of the city.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,857 times
I did time in NEPA and VT. I finally unpacked my bags in Louisville. And as always, to the point of redundancy, If you look in the Highlands, Crescent Hill or St, Mathews, you cannot go wrong. After The Highlands, I hate even visiting my relatives in the north east anymore. You get a moment of clarity and realize how undesirable the pace and 'feel' of every day life is in comparison. Pay scales are way lower than up north, but there are so many more positive quality of life issues combined with a lower COL, it is not really a factor if you choose not to obsess on it

Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,572 times
My mother was born and raised in Manhattan and has lived in Prospect since 1981 now, and wouldn't ever leave. I presume EMT/LPN type jobs are still in high demand, as I believe they are in most cities in the US - so they tend to pay higher than average wages for the area. Cost of living is cheap relative to the Northeastern US, and if you enjoy a slower pace of life then you'll really like the area. There are plenty of outdoorsy type places in a 2 hour radius.

As for areas, I don't live there anymore myself, but I always wanted to live in the Highlands when I was there. Perhaps if I ever get back to the area I'll buy some property there.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,141 times
I'm a northerner too, from Massachusetts and visited Louisville for the first time ever back in January. I found it to be a lovely place. They have a lot of great museums there, I think it's called Museum Row where the bulk are. I went to the Muhammad Ali one and another focusing on combat. Pretty fun both of those ventures. Also, on the off chance that you're a pro wrestling fan IWA: Mid-South holds weekly shows over in southern Indiana, which is just a short drive away. They're an infamous, but fun promotion.

The city had a really fun vibe to it and folks seemed very friendly. However, that's just a broad generalization from an outsider. I'll say though that if you're used to driving in big Northeast cities then Louisville is incredibly refreshing. I never had to worry about getting lost and the city has so much variety to offer. I drive in Boston just about everyday and Louisville is just a breeze in comparison.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I'm a northerner too, from Massachusetts and visited Louisville for the first time ever back in January. I found it to be a lovely place. They have a lot of great museums there, I think it's called Museum Row where the bulk are. I went to the Muhammad Ali one and another focusing on combat. Pretty fun both of those ventures. Also, on the off chance that you're a pro wrestling fan IWA: Mid-South holds weekly shows over in southern Indiana, which is just a short drive away. They're an infamous, but fun promotion.

The city had a really fun vibe to it and folks seemed very friendly. However, that's just a broad generalization from an outsider. I'll say though that if you're used to driving in big Northeast cities then Louisville is incredibly refreshing. I never had to worry about getting lost and the city has so much variety to offer. I drive in Boston just about everyday and Louisville is just a breeze in comparison.
Many amenities of a big city, but very user friendly. And it sounds like you didn't venture into the neighborhoods, which are the real strength of the city.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:29 AM

32 posts, read 84,367 times
No one will really care that you're from the North. It's not that southern in Louisville except around Derby time. It's a lot like the Midwest in that, most of the people are from here and it's tough to be a transplant but not as tough as other parts of the state.

It's affordable, there are lots of activities and things happening and the city is growing so it's a good time to be here. You'll get a lot for your money relative to the northeast and while it's not as diverse as the northeast, you'll still find pockets of diversity just not any real enclaves.

In general, people are accepting. It's good you're coming with someone though, because it's NOT a great city to be single in.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:58 PM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times
As a northerner, I feel "at home" when in Louisville; it's more Midwestern than southern, and there are plenty of northerners here; people from all over the country (in fact, world). The climate might be a shock for you, though... Horribly hot and humid June through September.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As a northerner, I feel "at home" when in Louisville; it's more Midwestern than southern, and there are plenty of northerners here; people from all over the country (in fact, world). The climate might be a shock for you, though... Horribly hot and humid June through September.
This June is TERRIBLE....it feels hotter than Florida!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This June is TERRIBLE....it feels hotter than Florida!
I am from Albuquerque, New Mexico and am living part time just north of Cincinnati in Hamilton, so I have been perusing the regional forums as well (Louisville, Indianapolis, Columbus) to learn about this, from my viewpoint, exotic part of the country :-)

I have to say that if Louisville is anything like the Cincinnati/Butler County area, there won't be much of a problem as someone from outside, certainly in terms of any perceived North/South divide, though I concede that Ohio is not Kentucky where that is concerned, there is certainly some Appalachian influence here in the smaller cities.

And if this is a "TERRIBLE" June, I am not too worried. The humidity is not great, but the tems are moderate. I don't think I'll be truly suffering until the temps hit the mid 90s or higher. Or maybe Louisville has been much hotter than over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area