U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 PM

39 posts, read 154,246 times

Advertisements

...but is it affordable for a relatively poor person such as myself.

Are there little frame houses in your area where there is pride of ownership and not a big house price? I am not interested in any McMansions or putting on the dog, I am hoping for a safe little neighborhood and a cozy little ol' house with a nice yard.

I grew up in a neighborhood where the houses were just frame houses left over from WWI barracks (yes, 1 not II), but they were kept neat as a pin and people minded their business and let us mind ours and our neighborhood while poor had pride and pretty gardens. But Katrina put the swamp back where it had once been and that is long gone.

It seems to me that in a place as pretty as Ky in general and Louisville in particular, you pay for that prettiness with a big ol' house payment. And asking a real estate agent to help you find a thrifty place is like asking your kitty-cat to guard your cream for you, they write you off right then or say that there is no safe thrifty neighborhoods but then you find out too late they were not exactly truthful.

Man, I think Louisville has it ALL! The beauty, the climate, the jobs! Where I live now and have lived before, either a person is house-poor or they live like in a prison if they can't afford the spendy area. I don't know, the housing market in the U.S. got weird on me when I wasn't looking.

Thanks for any help about little ol' sweet neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 01:35 PM

11,167 posts, read 23,142,517 times
Louisville has very affordable housing. A 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area can run from $350 to $500. There are a lot of shotgun houses throughout the Old City which run anywhere from $40,000- $90,000 even in good areas

For cheap houses, look in St Joseph, Germantown, or Schnitzelburg. For cheap, but very nice apartments look in Old Louisville or The Highlands.

Check out pictures of these areas on the Louisville Photo Stiicky

Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM

809 posts, read 2,269,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville has very affordable housing. A 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area can run from $350 to $500. There are a lot of shotgun houses throughout the Old City which run anywhere from $40,000- $90,000 even in good areas

For cheap houses, look in St Joseph, Germantown, or Schnitzelburg. For cheap, but very nice apartments look in Old Louisville or The Highlands.

Check out pictures of these areas on the Louisville Photo Stiicky
on a slightly offtopic note, do you happen to work for the census in jeffersonville?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM

209 posts, read 686,221 times
Germantown is definitely the idea, as is Clifton, Clifton Heights. Both areas are developing neighborhood 'scenes' that add to the attractiveness... and if you get in now, your investment is sure to grow...

Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
on a slightly offtopic note, do you happen to work for the census in jeffersonville?
No, I'm still in college.

That would be pretty bad to have a government job and spend all day surfing the internet

Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Default OMGosh Thank you

This is the best news I have had in a long time. I thank you each and all for answering. A little ol' shotgun house is exactly my hope!!! I love the cosmopolitan aspect to your city. The idea of getting to be part of a scene is delightful!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM

I've seen VERY cheap shotgun houses for sale just East of the Univ. of Louisville in the St Joseph neighborhood. This is among the safest areas in the entire city.

I just checked the CJ Real Estate section and there are lots of listings in good areas from $40,000-$50,000.

Courier-Journal.com - List View

Areas to avoid would be Shelby Park, but stay south of the RR tracks in that area and you'll be fine

Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,239,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've seen VERY cheap shotgun houses for sale just East of the Univ. of Louisville in the St Joseph neighborhood. This is among the safest areas in the entire city.

I just checked the CJ Real Estate section and there are lots of listings in good areas from $40,000-$50,000.

Courier-Journal.com - List View

Areas to avoid would be Shelby Park, but stay south of the RR tracks in that area and you'll be fine
Good advice. The area bounded by Floyd street on the west, Broadway on the North, Logan on the East, and Hill Street on the South is a somewhat shady area that I would mostly avoid, and it is essentially the only "bad" area east of downtown. Outside that, you sound like a PERFECT fit for Germantown, Clifton, or Butchertown.

If you come from New Orleans, Louisville's architecture will look very similar in parts. Historically, these were two of the south's major cities, and the shotgun housing form was brought up to Louisville by the river traders, becoming the predominat housing form.

I would search homes for sale in the areas mentioned on Craigslist. If you have any questions about specific streets or listings, PM me. But yeah, in short, a nice 700-900 sf shotgun can be had for under 100k in a decent area if you are willing to update the kitchen and do some minor cosmetic stuff on your own. Germantown really has a lot of character, and it sounds like what you are looking for. Clifton has become yuppy and trendy, and is getting a bit expensive in parts. Same with the Highlands.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Default Wow

Hee hee, sneaking a peek at the replies at work --

THANK YOU censusdata for the Links to the Houses, that is so helpful!!!

THANK YOU stx for your remarks as to the good areas. As a person of German descent, the name of Germantown seems a definite sign to me!!!

I almost cried when I saw all the little shotgun houses, it has been so very long. I guess a person gets "imprinted" with what they grew up with and it just strikes a chord in their heart when they see it again. Presently I am in the desert (I have lived all over), and the beauty of Louisville just has ahold of me.

Just one thing, is there lots of SNOW? I fainted the first time I saw snow, I could not wrap my mind around it. I thought it was a giant pile of oyster shells (lots of blindingly white piles of oyster shells near New Orleans).

Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameLOL View Post
Just one thing, is there lots of SNOW? I fainted the first time I saw snow, I could not wrap my mind around it. I thought it was a giant pile of oyster shells (lots of blindingly white piles of oyster shells near New Orleans).
Usually just a couple of dustings per year - and it rarely stays on the ground more than a day or two

If you have any questions about a specific street or area, just ask it here because we could let you know how it is. i live really close to this area and do most of my shopping there, so I'm very familiar with it.

My summary of it: very little crime, friendly people, lots of shopping, and a nice mixture of college educated people with working class people. If I ever bought a house, this would defiantly be the area I would look.

Here are specific neighborhood maps of the best areas that still have affordable housing.

Last edited by censusdata; 01-23-2008 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area