Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 4,782 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I and our two kitties are preparing to move to Louisville. What we want to do is live in an apartment in the city for a year & enjoy city life, and then (when our MA building sells!!) buy a place in the surrounding area. Now, it's been a while since I've rented an apartment, but I didn't expect it to be as difficult as it's proving to be. First, so many apartments won't take pets at all, and second, it seems that a lot of property managers don't return my calls or else tell me that the place I'm asking about has just been taken (they often have another place to offer, though--in another neighborhood or another price-point). I'm on mailing lists for Trulia & Craigs List & call possibilities promptly but so far without much luck. We're looking for a place either in Old Louisville or somewhere in the Highlands. We can only go up to $750 a month for the rent (we're still paying a mortgage, too!). Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
It's that way in a lot of areas of the country. Precisely why I try to avoid renting and instead buy a home.

Try the following. I've had the best luck finding a cat friendly place via these sites.

http://www.rent.com

Apartments for Rent - Your Trusted Apartment Finder Tool at ApartmentGuide.com

Old 07-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Thanks--Eventually we want to buy, too--but first want a base from which we can explore the areas in & around Louisville--
Will check out the websites you suggested!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:22 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
You asked why finding a cat-friendly apartment is so hard.

It's because landlords have been burned by cat owners who don't take care of their cats. A cat can do an enormous amount of damage to an apartment, destroying carpets and flooring. Cat urine can be so pervasive the subflooring has to be replaced. The typical security deposit doesn't cover those kinds of costs.

Don't respond to any ad that says they won't allow pets. It's a waste of time and no matter how well-behaved your fur slugs are, the landlord won't change his/her mind.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:35 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Years ago, in my renting days, I had two cats and the same problem as you. When I found the place I wanted to rent I offered the landlord extra money in the security deposit; a "pet security deposit". At the time (1988) that wasn't a popular thing to do, but I hear it is now. By me offering that extra money I was also telling the landlord I was a responsible pet owner. I did get that apartment, in a beautiful Victorian house, which I loved and took good care of.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:58 PM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I have noticed a trend in Apartments and Rentals to charge Pet Deposits, Pet Fees and Monthly Pet Rent! You would think you were asking to move in with a tiger! And that is even if they allow pets!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:49 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I have noticed a trend in Apartments and Rentals to charge Pet Deposits, Pet Fees and Monthly Pet Rent! You would think you were asking to move in with a tiger! And that is even if they allow pets!
Pets are very damaging to property. I know as I own several. Pet fees are a standard for landlords now and rightfully so...at a minimum it will cost me an extra grand to prep an apartment after a cat has lived there. If the animal urinates and scratches wall and floors, this could cost me several thousand. It is only fair to pass that cost on to the user.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 AM

Thanks, everyone.

I'm more than willing to pay the deposit and rent for our kitties. They *are* well-behaved, but I understand that the landlord can't know that ahead of time.

I would just say to landlords: Please understand it's not the fault of the cats if they're destructive. It's the fault of indifferent and lazy owners who want to have pets but don't want the responsibility of taking care of them properly. Or they have too many cats in too small a space. Or they don't take an ailing cat to the vet. Et cetera.

In any case, I do have appointments to look at some cat-friendly apartments this week -- wish me luck!!

Thanks again, everyone. This forum is great!

Judith

Old 07-14-2015, 03:07 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
There are products out there now that really work in helping remove the odors of cats in carpet or floors. I use a couple and they work great. Don't cost much at all. I treat the place before moving out and the landlord does not have to worry about a thing.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:43 PM

695 posts, read 996,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Keefer View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband and I and our two kitties are preparing to move to Louisville. What we want to do is live in an apartment in the city for a year & enjoy city life, and then (when our MA building sells!!) buy a place in the surrounding area. Now, it's been a while since I've rented an apartment, but I didn't expect it to be as difficult as it's proving to be. First, so many apartments won't take pets at all, and second, it seems that a lot of property managers don't return my calls or else tell me that the place I'm asking about has just been taken (they often have another place to offer, though--in another neighborhood or another price-point). I'm on mailing lists for Trulia & Craigs List & call possibilities promptly but so far without much luck. We're looking for a place either in Old Louisville or somewhere in the Highlands. We can only go up to $750 a month for the rent (we're still paying a mortgage, too!). Help!!
I don't know about Louisville specifically, but advertising specific apartments that are suddenly not available when they are called, can be a "bait and switch" situation, and to be avoided. If it happens once, that's one thing, but if landlords or prop managers are using an attractive "bait" to get calls for an apartment that doesn't exist or is rented, then it's illegal. But it's hard to catch them. All of just want to deal with honest people, but there are scammers out there in the rental world, in any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: