Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,993 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job in Louisville. I will be working in the 40211 area on 2900 W Broad St.

I have lived in FL for the past 10 years, but I am a former Hoosier (Indy). And I swore I would never come back to anywhere near the Hoosier state; however an opportunity has presented itself and I though just maybe I could live in Louisville KY, because I hear it is much more laid back then Indy.....I am now accustom to a laid back life which I love and do not want to jump back into the fast lane. I enjoy not driving in a lot of traffic, but living near grocery stores, shopping, restaurants are equally as important.

The opportunity is located on W Broad St. 40211.

What is this area like?

What is a good area to live in within a 15-20 min drive to this area.

Would it better to live in Louisville or Jeffersonville, IN.

What is the average cost for rental properties/apt.

Any assistance would be great! I have read a lot of responses that provide great insight and valuable information. Hope someone can help me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 06:42 PM

115 posts, read 146,243 times
That's not a particularly good area, though slightly to the north along parts of northwestern parkway it gets better. It depends on what you are used to, but if you are taking a job and can relocate from Florida, I don't think you would be looking to live in that part of town.

15-20 minutes would be pushing it from nicer parts of the city, other than Shively or New Albany, but it really would be helpful to have more info about how much you want to spend on rent, what sort of vibe you are going for, what you value, what you like to do, if you like a more urban or suburban feel, etc.

New Albany is quite nice and cheap though and would definitely be a 15-20 minute drive there and is definitely cooler than Jeffersonville, not to mention closer and offers shopping.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Yeah that's not the best area so you'd want to live a bit away from there. Do you prefer urban and walkable or suburban?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 3,993 times
Thanks for the information! I would like suburban.... I like to walk in parks, festivals, art and shopping.... I'm not into the night clubs seen.....

New Albany is on the IN side right?
What is the cost of living in New Albany?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHeat View Post
Thanks for the information! I would like suburban.... I like to walk in parks, festivals, art and shopping.... I'm not into the night clubs seen.....

New Albany is on the IN side right?
What is the cost of living in New Albany?

Thanks!
Very cheap...it is a suburb but has its own revived downtown...35 restaurnats and counting in like 5 blocks plus over 100 businesses! A cute area. And ditto for Jeffersonville, In. A very cute walable downtown main drag in Spring St and has a great walking bridge to one of the best Waterfront Parks in America in Louisville. (Big Four Bridge)

On the KY side, cheap areas that fit your criteria are Audubon Park, Beechmont.

More expensive areas that are in the heart of the shopping malls but still have walkable areas is St Matthews. The suburbs further out, closer to 265 are great, but too far for a quick commute to 40211

Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 PM

Affordable in New Albany means an average 2 br apartment for $600. A studio in the nicer half of Louisville is now pushing $500. There are several nice parks on the IN side, Pedin, Lapping, and Deam Lake State Park, etc. You might want to check out the parts of NA or Jeffersonville near 265

Old 07-23-2015, 03:09 PM

21 posts, read 30,899 times
You sound like you would be into the highlands or germantown. I live on Eastern Parkway and can walk anywhere. I would not suggest New Albany and Definitely not Shively as one user did. Check out the highlands or clifton areas for walkability and parks.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:13 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Stretch your drivetime to 25-30 minutes and you can reach almost every ideal area of town. Other than a few certain hotspots of traffic, it's pretty easy to navigate and not at all like Indy. I grew up in Louisville and lived in Indy/Bloomington for 10 years before moving to Orlando for another 5 years, and I can understand your situation. Indy sucks.

The Highlands is where its at for walkability to restaurants, grocery stores and entertainment.

Based on your username, I assume you live in Miami - AA has direct flights to Louisville from Miami. I would highly suggest a quicky weekend visit to see areas of town yourself before blindly making a move. It might be something you think is expensive, but consider that cost versus you moving up to Louisville and realizing you should have stayed in FL, or choosing the wrong neighborhood and having to move multiple times.

We can all give you our opinions, but you've got to make sure you're doing what is right for you in the long run - and a move that far isn't one to take lightly.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:55 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
There's absolutely nothing wrong with New Albany. I have no idea why anyone would think Germantown is that much nicer. NA is extremely walkable and has quite a few shops and restaurants of its own, some of which have branches in the highly touted Highlands. You've got Walmart, Meijer, Kroger, Target, Home Depot and several other stores in addition to all the unique places. The town is investing in its parks, they are adding more covered space to the farmer's market area, you've got festivals and live music that happens. Traffic is lower than in Louisville and your commute to that zip code will be at most 15 minutes from even the most outer parts of New Albany.

Not that there's anything wrong with the Highlands. It's just going to be a lot more congested over there and you're going to pay more for comparable properties. As always, I highly recommend checking the places out before moving. Or at least rent for a short while if you are uncertain about what the areas are like.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:35 PM

A lot of New Albany is similar to Germantown in housing stock and demographics. Mansion Row is similar to St James Court. Downtown has good architecture with lots of local restaurants and no on street parking meters in most places. Some people are unsettled about the close proximity of good and poor areas, often separated merely by a street. NA is like a small town in that regard. Rich, poor, and in between aren't walled off from each other. Also the op is working on the West End so NA makes geographic sense for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area