Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 AM

688 posts, read 3,038,832 times

Advertisements

I think you've received some good suggestions, including the Norton Commons one. Norton Commons is out in the suburbs, but it does offer the convenience of a new home with the charm and appeal of an older, walkable neighborhood with interesting restaurants, shops, etc right in the middle.

Otherwise, you will probably love the beautiful Cherokee Park area and the nearby shops and restaurants in the Highlands. Frankfort Ave also offers a lot of the same opportunities, just on a smaller, slightly more upscale attitude with a little less funkiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times
DBarrKY, I would like to talk with you about my recent deceision to relocate to Louisville. I've been researching like crazy but it's nothing like getting the real deal from others who live there. I don't have to call you but maybe we can chat via email or you or anyone else can give me advice. I'm looking to rent for the first 1-2 yrs to decide if I want to make KY my move. I must feel safe and options of great elem schools and child care. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:28 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
I think you've received some good suggestions, including the Norton Commons one. Norton Commons is out in the suburbs, but it does offer the convenience of a new home with the charm and appeal of an older, walkable neighborhood with interesting restaurants, shops, etc right in the middle.

Otherwise, you will probably love the beautiful Cherokee Park area and the nearby shops and restaurants in the Highlands. Frankfort Ave also offers a lot of the same opportunities, just on a smaller, slightly more upscale attitude with a little less funkiness.
She said they couldn't decide btw city or suburbs, so I gave them both

Old 02-13-2008, 06:48 AM

221 posts, read 751,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyeller View Post
Stay up there in NYC you damn yankee.
Is this an example of the famous KY hospitality?

Civility, please!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post

Civility, please!
Don't mind them. Just please don't come down expecting here to be the same as there please or try to change it to suit you, we don't appreciate that. Otherwise, things will be just wonderful!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post

Civility, please!
Please note that (im)poster is from Indiana and lives in North Carolina

Old 02-13-2008, 08:04 AM

49 posts, read 156,379 times
If you're looking for a park setting, there've been a number of great suggestions so far. Let me add another one. Iroquois Park in the south end is beautiful, and there are plenty of lovely neighborhoods all around it. My favorite would be the Southern Parkway corridor- it boasts some of the loveliest architecture you'll find anywhere. And Kenwood Hill is a fabulous old neighborhood; it's quiet and peaceful.

Google Iroquois Park and you'll get to some great pictures. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM

221 posts, read 751,951 times
NMissi--

Thanks for this post. I hadn't seen anything about this area before and it sounds great.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmissi View Post
If you're looking for a park setting, there've been a number of great suggestions so far. Let me add another one. Iroquois Park in the south end is beautiful, and there are plenty of lovely neighborhoods all around it. My favorite would be the Southern Parkway corridor- it boasts some of the loveliest architecture you'll find anywhere. And Kenwood Hill is a fabulous old neighborhood; it's quiet and peaceful.

Google Iroquois Park and you'll get to some great pictures. Good luck with your move!
I have to second that!

Old 02-22-2008, 03:51 AM

70 posts, read 188,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC55 View Post
My husband's job is being transferred to Louisville from Manhattan, so we're off to Kentucky! I realize it will be an adjustment but we're ready for a change and, frankly, I am really excited by the cost of living difference (it's insane here in New York). Can you help me find the right neighborhood for our family? We're in our late 30s with one small child and a dog, so we'd like a family-oriented neighborhood and proximity to parks. Since I'm accustomed to getting around on foot most of the time with things conveniently located in NYC, I'd like to try to retain some of that (I know I'll have to drive to most things but is there a walkable downtown-ish/commerce area or parks?) -- I don't mind being in a suburban environment at all, but I want to avoid a harsh contrast that I would experience by moving into a very rural neighborhood. I am drawn to older/hisotrical homes (with some nice renovations!) rather than the McMansion feel and would like a neighborhood with some character and activity, where my child can grow up and play with other kids on the block. OK, that's a long wish list but I am hoping it provides enough guidance for some helpful leads. Any suggestions would be great -- thanks!
Old Louisville, south of downtown, might be another option for you to consider. Other than that, the Highlands and Crescent Hill/Clifton are the only places in Louisville in which to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area