Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 17,577 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is being transferred to Louisville from Manhattan, so we're off to Kentucky! I realize it will be an adjustment but we're ready for a change and, frankly, I am really excited by the cost of living difference (it's insane here in New York). Can you help me find the right neighborhood for our family? We're in our late 30s with one small child and a dog, so we'd like a family-oriented neighborhood and proximity to parks. Since I'm accustomed to getting around on foot most of the time with things conveniently located in NYC, I'd like to try to retain some of that (I know I'll have to drive to most things but is there a walkable downtown-ish/commerce area or parks?) -- I don't mind being in a suburban environment at all, but I want to avoid a harsh contrast that I would experience by moving into a very rural neighborhood. I am drawn to older/hisotrical homes (with some nice renovations!) rather than the McMansion feel and would like a neighborhood with some character and activity, where my child can grow up and play with other kids on the block. OK, that's a long wish list but I am hoping it provides enough guidance for some helpful leads. Any suggestions would be great -- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
The Highlands area (Bardstown Road btw I-264 and Downtown) sounds great for you. It has tons of restaurants and shops, and the housing stock is mostly Victorian style.

Louisville's park system was designed by Frederick Olmstead - who also designed NYC's Central Park. Cherokee Park is the city's largest, at 409 acres, and is adjacent to The Highlands area

Here are some area photos:
http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144309/untitled.jpg (broken link)

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144318/untitled.jpg (broken link)

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144310/untitled.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144304/untitled.jpg (broken link)

http://static4.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144303/untitled.jpg (broken link)

See more pics at: //www.city-data.com/forum/louisville-area/232504-louisville-photo-sticky-2.html

Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 17,577 times
Thanks so much -- this is helpful! How much can we expect to pay in this area for a 4 or 5 bedroom home?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Use this real estate finder from the Courier Journal to view homes in this area:
Courier-Journal.com - List View

Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC55 View Post
Thanks so much -- this is helpful! How much can we expect to pay in this area for a 4 or 5 bedroom home?
Depends. Not unlike Manhattan, its more expensive "parkside." Here in Louisville that nice area parkside in Louisville is around Cherokee Park, and specifically Cherokee Road and some of its side streets like Alta Vista. A 5 bedroom home can cost over a million in much of this area, but you can find one for 500k if you look in the right areas. You sound like you would really enjoy Cherokee Triangle, which is a beautiful walkable urban neighborhood that is close to a park and still good for a young family like you. You are going to miss all the buzz and urbanity of Manhattan, but the good news is there is a very nice pedestrian and boutique/restaurant scene in Louisville.

The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page

Keep in mind the area east of Bardstown Road is more expensive but there are some nice areas on the other side, and the closer to Bardstown and Cherokee Park, the happier you will be with walkability. If you lived around say, Edgeland and Bardstown Road, you'd have everything from Indian restuarants, pubs, a sushi bar, burrito joints, a movie theatre, and a nice grocery store (ValuMarket) all within walking distance. A few blocks away would be the beautiful 409 acre Cherokee Park! And minutes away would be the rapidly growing downtown area, whcih as you will notice from the Louisville development sticky, is booming!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
check out Norton Commons, it is basically a self contained little town, its not totally finished (there are currently only a few shops and restaurants) but it fits most if not all of what your talking about, i dont know your price range but you can get a 3-4 bedroom house there for around $450,000 i think, or a townhouse for much cheaper, they are planning on building a school eventually and it will have its own post office, grocery store, ect. and it has lots of green space and a community pool. Norton Commons

Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Crescent Hill (located along Frankfort Avenue) is also nice and there are more single family homes that are reasonably priced. For a 3-4 bedroom home you would be looking probably around $200,000, maybe more.
There are also a lot of pedestrian friendly shopping areas, just not in the same concentration as in The Highlands.
Courier-Journal.com - List View

Photos of this area:
http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144214/untitled.jpg (broken link)

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144498/untitled.jpg (broken link)

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/7146813/untitled.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 AM

25 posts, read 75,509 times
Default Other alternatives to the Highlands

You might also consider the Clifton and Crescent Hills areas of Louisville. Very community minded folks live there with lots of shops, resturants, etc...

If you are in town this evening check out the Mardi Gras on Frankfort Avenue. Street performers, fire eaters, Mardi Gras ball at the Mellwood Arts Center. Marc Cohn coming to the Clifton Center to perform.

Super area, lots of artists, galleries. Worth a look!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:58 PM

96 posts, read 394,575 times
Default School

Great thread as I may be moving to the area. How are the schools in the Highlands area? Are any neighborhoods in Louisville known for great high schools? Thanks

Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansu View Post
Great thread as I may be moving to the area. How are the schools in the Highlands area? Are any neighborhoods in Louisville known for great high schools? Thanks
As far as public schools, probably Middletown or Lyndon areas. I think Eastern & Ballard are the two best scoring non magnet public hs's.

The best good public high schools are called "magnet schools", where students are admitted regardless of location, being based on competitive admissions. Dupont Manual and Louisville Male (now a coed school) are the two best. There are also a large number of excellent private schools.

Here are the statewide testing scores from the Courier Journal: courier-journal.com»Kentucky CATS scores»Louisville, KY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area