U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,154 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a promotion so we are relocating to Louisville area. They are wanting us to move fairly soon. We are from a small town (only about 6,000). We would prefer not to throw our two kids into a massive school system. The one they attend now is VERY small (the graduating class has 79 students). I know we probably can't find any school quite that small close to Louisville, however does anyone have any recommendations for a town that would be safe, nice small town feeling, not too far from husband's new job?

Here are some details we do know...

- His company is located near 264 off Exit 15
- I own my own business so can start up anywhere we move
- we do not want to live in an apartment, want a 3-4 bedroom home (not sure if renting or buying).
- we do not have a preference for Indiana or Kentucky, safety is more important
- we are a middle-income (maybe slightly above) family
- husband would prefer not to have more than a 1 hr commute if possible

Any advice or help would be MUCH appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 11:17 AM

6,989 posts, read 15,121,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiSue4 View Post
My husband has been offered a promotion so we are relocating to Louisville area. They are wanting us to move fairly soon. We are from a small town (only about 6,000). We would prefer not to throw our two kids into a massive school system. The one they attend now is VERY small (the graduating class has 79 students). I know we probably can't find any school quite that small close to Louisville, however does anyone have any recommendations for a town that would be safe, nice small town feeling, not too far from husband's new job?

Here are some details we do know...

- His company is located near 264 off Exit 15
- I own my own business so can start up anywhere we move
- we do not want to live in an apartment, want a 3-4 bedroom home (not sure if renting or buying).
- we do not have a preference for Indiana or Kentucky, safety is more important
- we are a middle-income (maybe slightly above) family
- husband would prefer not to have more than a 1 hr commute if possible

Any advice or help would be MUCH appreciated!
Oldham County fits the bill. You will love it there. Prospect, Pewee Valley, La Grange, or Crestwood.

If you consider yourself a "southern person", then I would also look at Mt Washington and Shepherdsville. Not quite as good of schools as Oldham, but would only be a 20 min commute for your husband's work from there.

I think the city proper of Louisville is "too big" of a city for you to deal with based on what you are used to.

You can also look at Floyd's Knobs or Sellersburg, IN. Both are within 30 minutes of your husband's job, and once the bridges are done by 2017, any traffic should be much less.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer! We are going down to look around on Tuesday for a visit to the area. You've given us some starting points!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 AM

11,093 posts, read 22,998,648 times
Kentucky tends to favor larger public schools, many counties have only 1 high school. Enrollment in Louisville or Lexington for high schools tends to range in the 1500 to 2000 range. Oldham Co high schools are currently in the 1000 range and growing rapidly. Smallest high schools in the area would be Spencer Co KY, Borden IN, Charlestown IN, and Lanesville IN (highly rated).

Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM

Area is so beautiful (from what I'm seeing in photos). Would love nothing more than a home with a little bit of a view!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 PM

9,950 posts, read 5,515,292 times
Bardstown is still a cute little town, and really close to Louisville....if you don't mind a bit of a commute.

The 10 Most Beautiful Towns in Kentucky

Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 PM

9,950 posts, read 5,515,292 times
There are some great little towns right across the river, over in Indiana also, that are so close they are almost a Louisville suburb (but yet with their own identity and flavor!)

Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 PM

6,989 posts, read 15,121,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
There are some great little towns right across the river, over in Indiana also, that are so close they are almost a Louisville suburb (but yet with their own identity and flavor!)
Well they are very much Louisville suburbs in Indiana. Louisville's Indiana suburbs are the size of Lexington/fayette county alone. That said, I do agree some of them look and feel like their own small town. And that is good for those that like it.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:46 PM

365 posts, read 736,463 times
Within Jefferson county you might look at Anchorage, I think it has its own school system. Other than that, the towns mentioned above all seem to be what you're looking for.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 PM

797 posts, read 2,160,820 times
I disagree with the Oldham County and Floyd Central recommendations thrown out there by Peter. Floyd Central is a massive school system. The Sellersburg area and Silver Creek schools are also pretty popular and will be growing even more once the east end bridge gets done and gives that area easier access to the east end of Louisville.

Lanesville would be a better option to consider. It's a smaller community with smaller schools. Easy access to I-64 and probably 30-45 minutes commute depending on rush hour and where off the exits you would live/work. Your husband could easily go around 264 and avoid downtown.

Borden is slightly farther out and I feel the drug problem is a little worse out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area